The Importance Of The Mind
ElHombre
Oct 10 2012, 10:39 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi guys.

This is a fun topic, I have noticed a few things during my guitar playing years.
Have you ever struggled with a lick you manage to get right?

Well I have many times, it usually helps to sleep over it, or take a break.
But one time, I played late a night, and couldnt get it right, same mistake over again.

Well I had been awake like almost 24 hours, so I was thinking a lot while going to bed, and I thought of the lick,
and played it in my mind. Like holding the guitar in my mind, I played it in my mind, and made the mistake again biggrin.gif

How weird it may sound, I kept doing it and got it right in my mind, and thought, hey I got to play it know, so I got up of bed and played it, and got it right that time.

It would be fun to se what you think of this? experienced yourself or are you thinking "this guy elhombre is a wierdo".

Also, maybe another topic, but I have not really learned so many licks over the years, I have constantly listened to guitar music, and picked up licks, often listening while being half asleep, and I noticed in my recordings, "hey, I got the lick from that guy" a little different and made it kind of my own smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 10 2012, 11:16 PM
GMC:er
This is something called "Sleep Learning" or "Sleep Practice" where you work on a problem using your dream state. Not everyone can take control and have a "Lucid Dream" or Controlled Dream, but even if not, the brain keeps working on whatever you did right before bed whether you want it to or not. So practice right before sleep will let your brain keep working on your practice smile.gif Handy eh?

If you watch a Horror flick before bed, it will keep working on that. Also, our ears are still working while we are asleep so any audio can influence the dream state. For example, set your clock radio to come on softly (not loud enough to wake you) in the middle of the night. The music will show up in your dreams.

Todd

QUOTE (ElHombre @ Oct 10 2012, 05:39 PM) *
Hi guys.

This is a fun topic, I have noticed a few things during my guitar playing years.
Have you ever struggled with a lick you manage to get right?

Well I have many times, it usually helps to sleep over it, or take a break.
But one time, I played late a night, and couldnt get it right, same mistake over again.

Well I had been awake like almost 24 hours, so I was thinking a lot while going to bed, and I thought of the lick,
and played it in my mind. Like holding the guitar in my mind, I played it in my mind, and made the mistake again biggrin.gif

How weird it may sound, I kept doing it and got it right in my mind, and thought, hey I got to play it know, so I got up of bed and played it, and got it right that time.

It would be fun to se what you think of this? experienced yourself or are you thinking "this guy elhombre is a wierdo".

Also, maybe another topic, but I have not really learned so many licks over the years, I have constantly listened to guitar music, and picked up licks, often listening while being half asleep, and I noticed in my recordings, "hey, I got the lick from that guy" a little different and made it kind of my own smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Oct 10 2012, 11:45 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 10 2012, 11:16 PM) *
Also, our ears are still working while we are asleep so any audio can influence the dream state. For example, set your clock radio to come on softly (not loud enough to wake you) in the middle of the night. The music will show up in your dreams.

Todd

this just sounds freaky

I must try it !

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Oct 11 2012, 10:46 AM
Learning Roadie
There is a section of the Pink Floyd track Terminal Frost that became a favourite of mine for just that reason, it infiltrated a dream I was having whilst listening to AMLOR whilst falling asleep.
I was running and running up a hill, struggling to keep going and then a this section which changes to being more upbeat with saxophone comes in and it's like I suddenly had a second wind and burst into life, pushing myself to the top of the hill with tremendous power and speed.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 11 2012, 11:32 AM
Instructor
This was a thread made for me, haha !! laugh.gif

This is 'Visualisation' where you see yourself successfully perform a task. This lays the blueprint in your mind so your body can then successfully repeat it physically. Everything we do is first created in the mind. Just like a leg or arm is moved by a signal from the brain, thoughts are no different, the only difference is that we are conscious of our thoughts.

Athletes are notorious for using visualisation in their training. Our friend, Arnold Schwarzenegger describes this in one of his books "...you picture yourself completing the lift before you even touch the weights.... but that's the way these lifters master weight. If they have lifted it mentally they will undoubtedly lift it physically. There's no two ways about it, because they've done all the training, their bodies are ready; now it's only the mind. The mind must carry through. If a man stands there and thinks for one-tenth of a second, 'Maybe I can't lift it,' it's gone. He will not make the lift."

Our thoughts are there as our creative tool to use. We mentally create the realities we want to see smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 11 2012, 02:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 11 2012, 10:32 AM) *

This is 'Visualisation' where you see yourself successfully perform a task. This lays the blueprint in your mind so your body can then successfully repeat it physically. Everything we do is first created in the mind. Just like a leg or arm is moved by a signal from the brain, thoughts are no different, the only difference is that we are conscious of our thoughts.

Athletes are notorious for using visualisation in their training. Our friend, Arnold Schwarzenegger describes this in one of his books "...you picture yourself completing the lift before you even touch the weights.... but that's the way these lifters master weight. If they have lifted it mentally they will undoubtedly lift it physically. There's no two ways about it, because they've done all the training, their bodies are ready; now it's only the mind. The mind must carry through. If a man stands there and thinks for one-tenth of a second, 'Maybe I can't lift it,' it's gone. He will not make the lift."

Our thoughts are there as our creative tool to use. We mentally create the realities we want to see smile.gif

Man this is SO SPOT ON! I used to do this in the gym without having ANY clue that Arnie talked about it. Always knowing beforehand how many repetitions I need to do, to complete the task! biggrin.gif And there's another one I am using: If I want to break the boundaries and for instance, add one more pullup to my series, I am thinking that if I don't complete the pullup, a child will die. Trust me, it works EVERY TIME! It may sound crazy, but the human body can adapt to incredible situations when having to help others.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 11 2012, 05:23 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Oct 11 2012, 05:46 AM) *
There is a section of the Pink Floyd track Terminal Frost that became a favourite of mine for just that reason, it infiltrated a dream I was having whilst listening to AMLOR whilst falling asleep.
I was running and running up a hill, struggling to keep going and then a this section which changes to being more upbeat with saxophone comes in and it's like I suddenly had a second wind and burst into life, pushing myself to the top of the hill with tremendous power and speed.

Bingo smile.gif Some folks call it "Music guided dreaming". Classical music works well for this also since it can be smooth and not wake you up. Something uplifting usually results in truly happy dreams smile.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 11 2012, 06:32 AM) *

Another great point! Visualization is something you can do whether awake or asleep. If you do it asleep, you need to either take control of the dream (lucid dreaming) or just do whatever task near bed time (so that the mind is still working on it when you fall asleep). It's a great way to get better at just about anything. See yourself doing it and doing it well and your brain will adapt smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 11 2012, 09:32 AM) *
Man this is SO SPOT ON! I used to do this in the gym without having ANY clue that Arnie talked about it. Always knowing beforehand how many repetitions I need to do, to complete the task! biggrin.gif And there's another one I am using: If I want to break the boundaries and for instance, add one more pullup to my series, I am thinking that if I don't complete the pullup, a child will die. Trust me, it works EVERY TIME! It may sound crazy, but the human body can adapt to incredible situations when having to help others.

This takes visualization a step further by imposing a "Visualized/Imagined Threat" to help serve as motivation. That's a great idea man wink.gif Visualize the motivation and the result. Nice!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 11 2012, 09:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 11 2012, 04:23 PM) *
Bingo smile.gif Some folks call it "Music guided dreaming". Classical music works well for this also since it can be smooth and not wake you up. Something uplifting usually results in truly happy dreams smile.gif

Another great point! Visualization is something you can do whether awake or asleep. If you do it asleep, you need to either take control of the dream (lucid dreaming) or just do whatever task near bed time (so that the mind is still working on it when you fall asleep). It's a great way to get better at just about anything. See yourself doing it and doing it well and your brain will adapt smile.gif

This takes visualization a step further by imposing a "Visualized/Imagined Threat" to help serve as motivation. That's a great idea man wink.gif Visualize the motivation and the result. Nice!

Thanks Todd! Can't wait to get back to functional training biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 12 2012, 09:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 11 2012, 05:23 PM) *

Lucid Dreaming ? Hmm, wow I've not encountered that subject before. I'm guessing that it's that strange state where you're not fully conscious but still aware of your thoughts ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 12 2012, 10:50 AM
Instructor
Could it be the moment happening right before you fall asleep? You know, when you have the impression that you see or hear all sorts of strange things sometimes?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 13 2012, 05:13 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 12 2012, 04:30 AM) *
Lucid Dreaming ? Hmm, wow I've not encountered that subject before. I'm guessing that it's that strange state where you're not fully conscious but still aware of your thoughts ? smile.gif

LUCID DREAMING is simply realizing your in a dream and then taking control of the dream. It's been a field of study for some time now. Some folks can do it very easily, some folks struggle with it. I"ve been able to do it a few times and it's fun but odd.

Here is a link to a site talking about the link between gaming and lucid dreaming smile.gif

http://www.livescience.com/6521-video-game...y-suggests.html

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 12 2012, 05:50 AM) *
Could it be the moment happening right before you fall asleep? You know, when you have the impression that you see or hear all sorts of strange things sometimes?

It's more about taking control while in a dream state. You can actually train yourself to do it and playing video games before bed time can make it easier. See the article from the previous post.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 13 2012, 11:22 AM
Instructor
I quit video gaming in 2001 or 2002 I guess... Should I start again? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 15 2012, 04:28 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 13 2012, 06:22 AM) *
I quit video gaming in 2001 or 2002 I guess... Should I start again? smile.gif

Well, you can lucid dream without gaming, it seems that it might just prep the mind a bit somehow. When gaming you are controlling an abstraction (the game character/world) which is the same thing you do when lucid dreaming essentially, (in that case the abstraction is the dream).

Here is a link to get you started!

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle...d-dreaming.html

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 15 2012, 03:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 15 2012, 03:28 AM) *
Well, you can lucid dream without gaming, it seems that it might just prep the mind a bit somehow. When gaming you are controlling an abstraction (the game character/world) which is the same thing you do when lucid dreaming essentially, (in that case the abstraction is the dream).

Here is a link to get you started!

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle...d-dreaming.html

Wow! Thanks Todd! I used to keep a dream journal when I was a kiddo! Why not start a new one now? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:51 PM