Mode Troubles
drw84215
Jan 24 2008, 06:39 PM
GMC:er
hey david. i love your lessons. iv been playing guitar for 6 years, but i sucked. i havent had a proper teacher ever. iv been on GMC.net for a few weeks and iv mainly taken your lessons. you really broke things down and i understood what you talking about. befor i came i couldent play a single arpeggios. but after your Modes lesson and Triad Arpeggios Lesson i can really jam now. it helped me alot. but im still having trouble using the modes. i see the modes as box patterns, but iv been told its not the best way to look at it. some one told me i should look at the modes as one pattern. but i cant seem to create music with them. could you do a lesson that gets into how to move around in the modes once the patterns are mastered. or recommend some exersizes to help me out i seem to only stay in one pattern when playing with the modes. also some other lessons about arpeggio possitions would be cool. like with augmented 5th.

i hope i explained my question. its very confusing to ask for help when your not sure what your doing wrong. blink.gif

thanks for helping me learn the guitar

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by drw84215: Jan 24 2008, 06:54 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 25 2008, 04:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (drw84215 @ Jan 24 2008, 12:39 PM) *
hey david. i love your lessons. iv been playing guitar for 6 years, but i sucked. i havent had a proper teacher ever. iv been on GMC.net for a few weeks and iv mainly taken your lessons. you really broke things down and i understood what you talking about. befor i came i couldent play a single arpeggios. but after your Modes lesson and Triad Arpeggios Lesson i can really jam now. it helped me alot. but im still having trouble using the modes. i see the modes as box patterns, but iv been told its not the best way to look at it. some one told me i should look at the modes as one pattern. but i cant seem to create music with them. could you do a lesson that gets into how to move around in the modes once the patterns are mastered. or recommend some exersizes to help me out i seem to only stay in one pattern when playing with the modes. also some other lessons about arpeggio possitions would be cool. like with augmented 5th.

i hope i explained my question. its very confusing to ask for help when your not sure what your doing wrong. blink.gif

thanks for helping me learn the guitar

Hi man,
Thanks for your message!
I struggled a lot wen I was learning and I think I understand your frustration.
The thing that is confusing is that modes are all related to each other..
If you take a major scale, you can divide it into 7 positions, each position starting with one of the 7 notes of the major scale.
These positions are the 7 modes and all have their name. These positions (or modes) will all follow each other on the fret board because they are all taken out of the same major scale.

Most people stop there when learning modes and don't really see their utility since basically, they are all extracted from the same scale. But that's only the first step. That first step helps memorize the scales and be able to play everywhere on the fretboard.

The next step is what's important. Once comfortable with the 7 positions, we need to see them as new scales. The best way to do that is to take one of the positions and build a chord over it. Play the chord and then play the mode over it to hear it in context. Do that with all the 7 modes.

Now to help you in that matter, I recommend that you go one step further and when analizing the chords taken from the modes, bring each mode on the same root.

For example:

G Ionian
G Dorian
G Phrygian
G Lydian
G Mixolydian
G Aeolian
G Locrian

That will help you develop an ear for the modes.

I hope this helps a bit. In the mean time I recommend that you work on th following lessons:

Learning the modes

Modes and chords

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Blairkelley
Feb 13 2008, 12:32 PM
Hello David,
Thanks for the great lesson. I still alittle confused about how to tackle memorizing all the modes. You say that we should think of them as 'new scales'. However, I"ve been thinking about them as how they relate to other major scales and playing that scale. ie. If I want to play d dorian, then I play C major scale with a D root note. I"m finding that everytime I go to play a new mode, I need to go through the backwards process of finding which scale relates. Is that the right way to think about them?

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 13 2008, 06:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blairkelley @ Feb 13 2008, 06:32 AM) *
Hello David,
Thanks for the great lesson. I still alittle confused about how to tackle memorizing all the modes. You say that we should think of them as 'new scales'. However, I"ve been thinking about them as how they relate to other major scales and playing that scale. ie. If I want to play d dorian, then I play C major scale with a D root note. I"m finding that everytime I go to play a new mode, I need to go through the backwards process of finding which scale relates. Is that the right way to think about them?

Although the theory behind what you are doing is absolutely right, you are waisting a lot of time doing it.
That's why you need to see them all as individual new scales and be able to play any given mod right away without thinking to its relative major scale.
It will also free you from playing the same licks all he time...

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Anuj
Apr 5 2008, 03:27 PM
Thnx guys that discussion really helped me clear some doubts...
But the problem that i face is with getting the right Modal Feeling...
i am not able to distinguish their sound....
as i am playing in key of C, and i play all 7 modes... i am just basically playing the 7 notes from c major scale with different root notes....
How to differenciate betwwen their sounds??

Thanx

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 5 2008, 05:13 PM
Moderation Policy Director
The key to that is to play them all with the same root notes - only then can you really understand their different sounds - as this forces you to hear the different intervals but starting from the same point ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Anuj
Apr 5 2008, 06:33 PM
thanx will surely see if it helps...

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Apr 6 2008, 02:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 5 2008, 12:13 PM) *
The key to that is to play them all with the same root notes - only then can you really understand their different sounds - as this forces you to hear the different intervals but starting from the same point ...

Amen!
Andrew is right. Play all the modes over a single unique bass note and you'll hear the colour of the modes...

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:43 PM