Taking Dance Lessons To Improve My Groove
rhoads
Apr 29 2012, 10:54 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi there,

I am thinking of taking some dancing lessons to improve my guitar playing. Does it sound crazy ? Has anybody tried this before.
The idea of course is to improve my grooving, but looking at it from a different perspective. Of course the most important thing for this is to play along with other people, you can't replace that, but I wonder if dancing classes would help. I was planning on taking them for some time now because I am a pretty bad dancer but I kept postponing and finding excuses. But thinking of it like this I think that this time I am really going to start. Just a 2-3 month course smile.gif

What do you think ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Nihilist1
Apr 29 2012, 11:00 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
If you enjoy dancing then go for it!

Another great option is getting a drum-pad and some sticks and working on your groove that way. It is a bit more boring, but it gets the job done!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 29 2012, 06:10 PM
Learning Roadie
I agree with Nihilist drumming would be a better idea.

Look at Nuno he's got fantastic groove and he started as a drummer

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 29 2012, 08:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Apr 29 2012, 05:10 PM) *
I agree with Nihilist drumming would be a better idea.

Look at Nuno he's got fantastic groove and he started as a drummer

+1 biggrin.gif I really, but REALLY dislike dancing tongue.gif I feel really silly when I have to do it and what's best...my girl LOVES to dance laugh.gif the idea is good Alex, but only if you like dancing!

+Quote Post
rhoads
Apr 29 2012, 09:05 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
smile.gif) That's a well known problem

I can't say that I like dancing very much because I an also a bad dancer, but I would like to be better. Now don't get me wrong guys here, when I say dancing I mean waltz, tango, jive, rock'n roll (all that stuff from Dirty Dancing which I hopefully get to see until the end sometime smile.gif), and maybe something similar.

The problem is that all dance courses have all that latino stuff like bachata, merengue, salsa and others which make me feel very, very uncomfortable. I feel like I have to shave my legs or something smile.gif) That's actually the main reason why I avoided this courses and also why I quit the one some time ago smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Apr 29 2012, 09:15 PM
Well, if you want to be a good dancer, give it a shot; but don't underestimate the power of learning how to use a drumpad! It will get you very far!

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fires!

+Quote Post
dark dude
Apr 29 2012, 09:22 PM
GMC:er
If your sole intention is to improve your guitar playing, I'd consider dance lessons to be a long-winded route and opt for something like Nihilist's drumpad suggestion, where I can imagine narrowing your focus on the groove will be easier.

If you want to learn how to dance anyway, sure, why not?

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
rhoads
Apr 29 2012, 09:27 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Apr 29 2012, 08:15 PM) *
Well, if you want to be a good dancer, give it a shot; but don't underestimate the power of learning how to use a drumpad! It will get you very far!

I think I will buy a drum pad. I wanted to buy an electronic drum set one, didn't have enough money smile.gif Which one do you recommend because I really don't have any idea about these. About drum pads I mean.

QUOTE (dark dude @ Apr 29 2012, 08:22 PM) *
If your sole intention is to improve your guitar playing, I'd consider dance lessons to be a long-winded route and opt for something like Nihilist's drumpad suggestion, where I can imagine narrowing your focus on the groove will be easier.

If you want to learn how to dance anyway, sure, why not?

Yep that's the idea. I want to learn how to dance anyway. I think the topic title was a bit misleading smile.gif But, it is good because I got the drum pad idea smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Apr 29 2012, 09:32 PM
QUOTE (rhoads @ Apr 29 2012, 08:27 PM) *
I think I will buy a drum pad. I wanted to buy an electronic drum set one, didn't have enough money smile.gif Which one do you recommend because I really don't have any idea about these. About drum pads I mean.

Yep that's the idea. I want to learn how to dance anyway. I think the topic title was a bit misleading smile.gif But, it is good because I got the drum pad idea smile.gif

I use one like this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/HQ-Percussion-...239-i1138710.gc

I also use Danny Carey(Drummer for Tool) Signature drumsticks. They are so amazingly balanced I would never consider a different stick, but that is a bit more of a luxury item as opposed to what is necessary. As any cheap drumstick will do.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vic-Firth-Dann...074-i1139980.gc

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fires!

+Quote Post
rhoads
Apr 29 2012, 09:34 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Apr 29 2012, 10:55 PM
QUOTE (rhoads @ Apr 29 2012, 08:34 PM) *
Thanks smile.gif

Anytime.

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Apr 30 2012, 04:58 AM
I actually had the same exact idea a while ago. I was trying to decide between taking salsa lessons and studying Krav Maga. In the end I chose Krav Maga, because the thought of beating the **** out of people was more appealing ph34r.gif

But it is a great idea. You will learn how to twist and contort HUNDREDS of different muscles on just feeling the groove of the music. These movements are more complex than anything you will experience playing the guitar.

Go for it. Don't worry about what other people will tell you. Its not their place to decide the trajectory of your life.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 30 2012, 06:02 AM
Instructor
Mudbone, what's Krav Maga? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Apr 30 2012, 06:12 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 30 2012, 05:02 AM) *

It is the coolest Martial Art ever! It is used by the Mossad, the IDF Special Forces. It was developed in Bratislava in the 1930's in order to defend the Jewish Quarters from Fascism. It is a combination of Wrestling, Boxing, and Street Fighting. It is probably the most handy way to learn how to fight people. The Counter-Attacks are simple, Brutal, and Effective.

I did a lot of research on martial arts back in the day. biggrin.gif

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fires!

+Quote Post
rhoads
Apr 30 2012, 07:11 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Awesome ! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Apr 30 2012, 07:18 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 30 2012, 01:02 AM) *

Nihilist did a pretty good job describing it biggrin.gif

Krava Maga is a non-competitive martial art. It was created with real world situations in mind. While many other of the martial arts focus on rituals and techniques, Krav Maga focuses on practical self defense and neutralizing your opponent with devastating blows. It is not a fancy martial art, and many of the techniques are relatively simple. In Krav Maga, there are no formalities - its all just training on how to defend yourself. The purpose is to be able to walk away from a potentially deadly situation. All of the strikes you are taught are meant to be exceptionally brutal and to incapacitate your opponent. Other martial arts grant points for certain strikes, but not so with Krav Maga.

Definitely look into it and see if you can find a place that teaches it in your area. Aside from the skills learned, its also a great work out.

Edit: Sorry, didn't mean to hijack rroads' thread lol

This post has been edited by Mudbone: Apr 30 2012, 07:19 AM

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 30 2012, 07:30 AM
Instructor
Hey guys, thanks for the info biggrin.gif I am more of a ritualistic person, but nonetheless, in the sort of world we are living in, this kind of martial arts can be useful. Mudbone, are you experienced with it? How long did it take you to understand and use it?

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 1 2012, 02:35 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 30 2012, 02:30 AM) *
Hey guys, thanks for the info biggrin.gif I am more of a ritualistic person, but nonetheless, in the sort of world we are living in, this kind of martial arts can be useful. Mudbone, are you experienced with it? How long did it take you to understand and use it?

I've only been doing it for a month, so I'm still a novice. But in Krav Maga you progress quickly, because the goal is to get very proficient in a short amount of time. This is because it was developed during wartime to train average people how to develop highly effective self defense techniques.

The first month is just rudimentary movements and physical conditioning. We go over to punches, hammer strikes, knee strikes, and kicks. I'll keep you updated and let you know how it goes, I've signed a two year contract lol

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 1 2012, 07:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ May 1 2012, 01:35 AM) *
I've only been doing it for a month, so I'm still a novice. But in Krav Maga you progress quickly, because the goal is to get very proficient in a short amount of time. This is because it was developed during wartime to train average people how to develop highly effective self defense techniques.

The first month is just rudimentary movements and physical conditioning. We go over to punches, hammer strikes, knee strikes, and kicks. I'll keep you updated and let you know how it goes, I've signed a two year contract lol

Wow biggrin.gif 2 years? But out of what I understand, it's part of your job to be able to defend yourself and kick drunk, aggressive people's hiney! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
May 1 2012, 04:58 PM
Instructor
I think it's a good idea! I am not sure if it's gonna help your groove but you will be able to move better on stage!
If you want to improve your timing take drum lessons it will give you better results!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:54 PM