Transcribing Really Tough For Me
bryant
Aug 20 2013, 07:44 AM
GMC:er
I agree somewhat with Sammetal92's post above and his description of a musician ; someone who must be able to transcribe well enough to play the songs he or she wants, however, I don't hear in stereo and many frequencies I cannot hear at all. I consider myself an intermediate rhythm player and an above beginner level lead player. I have an extremely difficult time figuring out songs and almost always depend on watching someone I know play or teach me. I cannot seem to carry a tune very well vocally, either, as it becomes extremely difficult to sound out intervals, and if I do get lucky, it now becomes even more difficult finding the notes on the fretboard.

My question is from anyone on here that would like to help me transcribe about 15 notes from a simple song interlude played by a trumpet. I have tried endlessly and cannot seem to piece this together. The song is This Magic Moment by Jay And The Americans. It has a marching type of beat played over one measure each of C - Am - F - G . I can pick out the chord tones and sound okay, but I really want to get it out exactly as the trumpet does?

Can anyone transcribe this four measure trumpet interlude for me please?

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but I'll start here anyway. Keep in mind I have wanted to play this for years and really would like help with these notes? Thank you in advance. smile.gif
Bryant

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
Darius Wave
Aug 20 2013, 08:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bryant @ Aug 20 2013, 06:44 AM) *
I agree somewhat with Sammetal92's post above and his description of a musician ; someone who must be able to transcribe well enough to play the songs he or she wants, however, I don't hear in stereo and many frequencies I cannot hear at all. I consider myself an intermediate rhythm player and an above beginner level lead player. I have an extremely difficult time figuring out songs and almost always depend on watching someone I know play or teach me. I cannot seem to carry a tune very well vocally, either, as it becomes extremely difficult to sound out intervals, and if I do get lucky, it now becomes even more difficult finding the notes on the fretboard.

My question is from anyone on here that would like to help me transcribe about 15 notes from a simple song interlude played by a trumpet. I have tried endlessly and cannot seem to piece this together. The song is This Magic Moment by Jay And The Americans. It has a marching type of beat played over one measure each of C - Am - F - G . I can pick out the chord tones and sound okay, but I really want to get it out exactly as the trumpet does?

Can anyone transcribe this four measure trumpet interlude for me please?

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but I'll start here anyway. Keep in mind I have wanted to play this for years and really would like help with these notes? Thank you in advance. smile.gif
Bryant

Hi Bryant! Sure - no problem! Just give me time since the evening so I could sit down in front of my gear and we'll do it for ya smile.gif

Ear training takes time even for those most talented. It's a very good idea to go to some music teacher to make simple hearing test - notes pitch detection etc. Music School helped me a lot in this matter - regular hearing exercises and practice with the teachers through years gave the wanted effect.But those were years and when I think of trying to teach someone in the short time period, I think it's impossible.

So...it's a good time to start that practice and let it happen through years smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 20 2013, 02:34 PM
Instructor

You mean the trumpet part somewhere around 0:40 ?

+Quote Post
bryant
Aug 20 2013, 04:13 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Aug 20 2013, 02:34 PM) *

You mean the trumpet part somewhere around 0:40 ?

I believe it is actually at 1:34 and goes to about 1:44 Darius.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 20 2013, 09:41 PM
Instructor
Nice tune, Darius... are you on this?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 20 2013, 10:26 PM
Instructor
Yes Gab - I'm on it now smile.gif

Here You go smile.gif Of course You can ad Your won articulation, change the positions of the notes etc. This is just a simple example of very basic transcription but will show You the notes smile.gif

E||--------------------------|------------------------12--|
B||--13----------------------|--------12----13----15------|
G||--------12----------12----|--14------------------------|
D||--------------14----------|----------------------------|
A||--------------------------|----------------------------|
E||--------------------------|----------------------------|

--12--------------------12--|--------------------12----|--13----------------|
--------15----13----15------|--12----13----15----------|--------------------|
----------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------|

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 21 2013, 12:39 AM
This is an example as to why the major scale is king.
All the notes are in a C major scale and are either scale fragments or an arpeggio.
This is also a great example of how a scale can be beautiful. Scales are music. Learn your scales.

*Trivia: both Donald Fagen and Walter Becker of Steely Dan fame played and recorded with Jay and the Americans, though not on this tune.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 21 2013, 08:45 AM
Instructor
Also a great example of HOW IMPORTANT IS THE RHYTHYM smile.gif It make all the job in this phrase. As Ken said - nothing fancy in the notes material - pure major scale, just a few notes but with some nice color and taste smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 21 2013, 09:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Aug 20 2013, 09:26 PM) *

Here You go smile.gif Of course You can ad Your won articulation, change the positions of the notes etc. This is just a simple example of very basic transcription but will show You the notes smile.gif

Cool! Darius has helped you with the notes - now, you can try my suggestion in the PM I sent. Let me know how it feels, ok?

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Aug 21 2013, 07:45 AM) *
Also a great example of HOW IMPORTANT IS THE RHYTHYM smile.gif It make all the job in this phrase. As Ken said - nothing fancy in the notes material - pure major scale, just a few notes but with some nice color and taste smile.gif

Very good point here, Darius - for instance the rhythm in songs such as Jingle Bells and Happy Birthday, makes us recognize the songs without even hearing the notes all that well - we know how the rhythm goes and our brain makes a very quick connection!

+Quote Post
bryant
Aug 21 2013, 10:21 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Aug 20 2013, 10:26 PM) *

Hey thanx a lot Darius. I figured it was something really simple. Just curious, as to how short a time you figured this whole thing out? Believe it or not, I never was able to.

Also, yes, I plan on attempting to vocalize the notes and begin to play them too.

I do know most all of the scales, modes, and patterns, but my leads are kinda bland and not really too melodic. Feeling I need a lot of work on phrasing and making correct use with the scales being played over the right chords at the right time. My timing could use improvement too.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 21 2013, 11:50 AM
Instructor
As and opposite to what Cosmin said I also like some melodies that sound nice and simple but have some little hidden and tasty harmonic solutions in it - like Benny Hill or Mario themes...smile.gif

As for You Bryant...I think think it's more a matter of expirience. When You play some note patterns many maaaany times in Your life You start to hear them (or rather see them) on the neck, without touching the guitar. Give youselft some time but spend it on trying smile.gif

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Aug 21 2013, 11:52 AM

+Quote Post
bryant
Aug 22 2013, 04:42 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Aug 21 2013, 11:50 AM) *
As and opposite to what Cosmin said I also like some melodies that sound nice and simple but have some little hidden and tasty harmonic solutions in it - like Benny Hill or Mario themes...smile.gif

As for You Bryant...I think think it's more a matter of expirience. When You play some note patterns many maaaany times in Your life You start to hear them (or rather see them) on the neck, without touching the guitar. Give youselft some time but spend it on trying smile.gif

Thank you Darius.

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 22 2013, 06:08 AM
Hey! Sorry I coouldn't reply earlier, I feel amazing that I inspired you to begin transcribing! And look, everyone's helping you in any way they possibly can with the background of the song smile.gif This is why GMC is known as the most friendly community online smile.gif Keep on transcribing!

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
bryant
Aug 22 2013, 10:05 AM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Aug 22 2013, 06:08 AM) *
Hey! Sorry I coouldn't reply earlier, I feel amazing that I inspired you to begin transcribing! And look, everyone's helping you in any way they possibly can with the background of the song smile.gif This is why GMC is known as the most friendly community online smile.gif Keep on transcribing!

Thanks Sam, I'm really glad to have the support of the Gmc'ers and instructors on here.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:06 PM