Reccommended Plugins, Let's list the plugins we use regularly for recording.
PosterBoy
Feb 23 2017, 03:28 PM
Learning Roadie
Plugins can get expensive so let's start a list of the your go to plugins for recording and mixing. Include a one line review too! Add categories as needed.

Virtual Instruments

Software Amps

Compressors

EQ

Vocal Processors

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
Rammikin
Feb 23 2017, 04:05 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I mostly use virtual instrument plugins I wrote myself (Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Crystal). I'm paranoid about being able to fix any problems in plugins by myself smile.gif. But I also use some other effects plugins: Izotope Ozone for mastering, Molot on occasion for compression, and Ohmboyz for wacky delay effects. Otherwise I use built-in effects in Cubase for EQ, gating, filters, reverb, etc.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 23 2017, 05:10 PM
GMC:er
Good collection smile.gif that would cover most of it. For AMPS and such on the Guitar Side i'd say OVERLOUD TH2/TH3 or Guitar Rig, or S-GEAR . whatever version you can get your hands on. I've got presets in my personal board for OVERLOUD and GUITAR RIG and S-GEAR.

OZONE is a great plugin as it's many things in one package. The advanced version will allow you to use just one component out of the entire suit of fx. If you use ozone on say 10 channels, so 10 instances of full ozone, it will tax your cpu so you better have some serious hardware, e.g. quad processor i7 and at least 16 GB of ram and hopefullly an SSD main hard drive. The more plugins, VST stuff you use, the more your computer hardware comes in to play.

You can get around it by burning the fx on to a given track, but running them all live is possible, just needs adequate hardware. I have a macbook pro running a quad i7 with 16gb of ram and an SSD main drive. So I'm able to run wads of plugins without issues. For folks with a weaker rig, using something like the external processor like those from UNIVERSAL AUDIO. The first gen of which are now much cheaper since there is a new version out. The old version is about half price now.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/u...-uad-processing

This allows external processing of audio plugins that are built just for this unit. They sound great. It's a good option if you are running a weaker computer, you can just off load the processing.

If you are running a quad or dual quad processor rig, then you can go native and just use plugins that tax the cpu.

Todd

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Feb 23 2017, 11:05 AM) *
I mostly use virtual instrument plugins I wrote myself (Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Crystal). I'm paranoid about being able to fix any problems in plugins by myself smile.gif. But I also use some other effects plugins: Izotope Ozone for mastering, Molot on occasion for compression, and Ohmboyz for wacky delay effects. Otherwise I use built-in effects in Cubase for EQ, gating, filters, reverb, etc.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 23 2017, 05:18 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 25 2017, 11:24 AM
Instructor
Steven Slate VST drums - plug-in with a quality of Superior drummer but way cheaper so many home studio owners can actually purchase it instead of stealing the more expensive one.

4FrontBass - free precision bass vst instrument. Couldn't be more simple. Nothing to tweak - just a pure bass tone, you can always run through your fav bass amp simulations

4FrontPiano - same as above. Maybe not an outstanding piano tone, but acceptable more than many other midi pianos. Highest advantage of both is their low cpu processing load.

Poulin LeXTAC + Kefir - again not only the well know Plexi tone with nice dynamics but also a reasonable cpu loud.

Those are my essentialls. Other stuff is depending on particular project. Lately I found myself some of tools delivered with Cubase - build in plug-ins so hard to recommend them as they're not available externally

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 26 2017, 05:15 PM
Great collection, especially for PC. If you are a Mac guy, not everything crosses over, but if you are running pc, the lepou stuff is great and sounds as good as just about anything you'll find and it's free. The Steven Slate drums are some of the best I've ever heard and you can stack drum samples, unlike ez drummer. E.g. You can take two great sounding snare drums and stack them on top of each other on the snare track resulting in a HUGE snare or kick or toms or all of the above. I used to start my midi drums in ez drummer, then add the slate plugin to replace all the sounds after the midi was settled. I've started using ozone to make up for the difference recently as the drum samples in slate are just flat out better sounding imho than even then expansion packs in ez drummer. So ez needs a bit of bump/boost which ozone can do.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Feb 25 2017, 06:24 AM) *
Steven Slate VST drums - plug-in with a quality of Superior drummer but way cheaper so many home studio owners can actually purchase it instead of stealing the more expensive one.

4FrontBass - free precision bass vst instrument. Couldn't be more simple. Nothing to tweak - just a pure bass tone, you can always run through your fav bass amp simulations

4FrontPiano - same as above. Maybe not an outstanding piano tone, but acceptable more than many other midi pianos. Highest advantage of both is their low cpu processing load.

Poulin LeXTAC + Kefir - again not only the well know Plexi tone with nice dynamics but also a reasonable cpu loud.

Those are my essentialls. Other stuff is depending on particular project. Lately I found myself some of tools delivered with Cubase - build in plug-ins so hard to recommend them as they're not available externally

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Feb 27 2017, 04:43 AM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Feb 25 2017, 10:24 AM) *

I'm not sure I would consider Steven Slate drums to be a competitor to Superior. Slate is more pre-processed. Superior is more flexible and more like mixing real drums. EZDrummer is probably a more direct comparison to Steven Slate drums than Superior, and the price of Slate and EZDrummer are comparable.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 28 2017, 02:57 PM
Instructor
That was my first impression as well, but I was working on both and SSD can also be set up to a really raw tone, just like mixing regular drums

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Feb 28 2017, 07:27 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Yes, you can get raw sounds from Slate using the classic kits. I was just saying there are a number of features in Superior, like built-in effects, that mean it doesn't need to resort to workarounds like separate raw kits (and Superior has more kit pieces, more detailed samples, a more sophisticated mixer, a better streaming engine, etc.). In any case, I agree with you, for the price, Slate drums are great. I would just humbly disagree with your comment that it's the same quality as Superior.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 1 2017, 12:11 PM
Instructor
Yes...you're right that we would have to cinsider the judgment at different fields separetly smile.gif For me it was just a drums plug-in that sounded at same quality as superior, for the type of mixing I'm doing. Personally I always do split drum tracks to my Daw tracks. Plug-in build-in effects and mixer are something that doesn't reach my interest at all. I would even like to remove them from the plug-in itself. I remember Superior lot's of additional tools, but they all took some additional cpu load, and I found SSD sounding similar while leaving more, free cpu processing. Also in superior you need to by each pack of drum tones separetly while SSD already comes with a huge sound library (around 100 kits for platinum option)

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 1 2017, 06:09 PM
OK, so this isn't so much a list of regularly used VST's but it is a list of a lot of VST's which are free!!!
You can see it HERE

There is also a great list of free stuff in this old thread!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 1 2017, 06:31 PM
Superior and SSD are almost apples and oranges, and take an entirely different approach. Both have their place to be sure smile.gif The one really great thing about SSD imho is the price. For the price it's just an amazing amount of killer sounding drums that you can stack on top of each other to make HUGE sounding kits. Not to take away from Superior which is an entirely different beast and much deeper in terms of complexity and per drum/track options/fx/mixing, etc. It's really an entire suite of software. But as was mentioned, many folks can afford SSD, but need to get a crack for Superior as it's simply a bit pricey. Both are great kits IMHO smile.gif though I've always gone the cheaper route as I always try to pinch every penny in my home studio, just as my students might.

Todd

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 1 2017, 07:11 AM) *
Yes...you're right that we would have to cinsider the judgment at different fields separetly smile.gif For me it was just a drums plug-in that sounded at same quality as superior, for the type of mixing I'm doing. Personally I always do split drum tracks to my Daw tracks. Plug-in build-in effects and mixer are something that doesn't reach my interest at all. I would even like to remove them from the plug-in itself. I remember Superior lot's of additional tools, but they all took some additional cpu load, and I found SSD sounding similar while leaving more, free cpu processing. Also in superior you need to by each pack of drum tones separetly while SSD already comes with a huge sound library (around 100 kits for platinum option)

+Quote Post
KenA
Mar 12 2017, 07:10 PM
- IR Loader: the free Lernvall Audio LAConvolver. I think this one is the only one that does not mod the original IR sound. The down side is that the interface is not good when you want to preview several IRs. It's just an IR loader, no Cabs

- IR Cabs: mainly Gods Cab, and occasionally some Simpulse Dave and Rewirez.

- iZotope RX 4 Hum Removal: really effective to remove single coil 60 cycle hum noise

- Airwindows DeHiss

- Voxengo OldSkool Reverb: simple, but good enough. (not IR based VST)

- Kazrog KClip: for loudness maximization on the master track

- Ample Bass J

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:20 AM