Writing Original Music, I could use some help
Jim S.
Feb 8 2016, 04:04 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Gmc! Seems I go through phases and now is writing phase. I got a new keyboard and am having fun messing with the different sounds. Right now Im not setting any vst's or using the midi capability because Im just getting the basic sound and then I hope to do that at a later point. Here is a super rough draft of something Im working on. What do you think about the quality/musicality? Thanks Guys https://soundcloud.com/jim-seekford-music/keyboard-tune

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 15)
Patrik Berg
Feb 8 2016, 11:54 AM
GMC:er
I think the guitar sounds great and nice playing too, as a whole I think it will sound better with higher quality samples like the drums and other ambient tracks and a bit of adjustment to the track levels. i'm keen t hear the progress.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Feb 8 2016, 01:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Patrik Berg @ Feb 8 2016, 06:54 AM) *
I think the guitar sounds great and nice playing too, as a whole I think it will sound better with higher quality samples like the drums and other ambient tracks and a bit of adjustment to the track levels. i'm keen t hear the progress.

Thanks Patrick! Yes I do agree and I will add more quality samples after I lay down the framework. It's real easy to switch instruments on a keyboard as it takes no time or memory. My computer is so old but still keeps on keeping on I guess. I'm going to keep up with my writings here.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 10 2016, 06:38 PM
Instructor
Hi Jim! It's great to know that you are getting into the creativity journey!

This is a good first step on this endless but beautiful journey. It sounds good by now, you can experiment with better vsti sounds but this is just your first recording so it's ok! Just keep on trying new things, experimenting.

About musicality, I feel this as a free jam so I can judge it. It seems to be lacking some phrasing / melodies, but this is a very used way to compose. Jamming, and then polishing, so keep going!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 10 2016, 10:27 PM
Instructor
That's one of most important moment in our life - to start doing your own stuff. It will be hard to guide you from the scratch but you can alwasy cound on some help while having any question on particular parts of composing process smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Feb 12 2016, 04:13 AM
Learning Rock Star
Ok Guys Thanks for the encouragement!

I decided to put some new strings on the bass and do more recording trying to blend other parts in. Here is 16 bars of simple rhythm and a drum loop of better quality. Its just a copy and paste job. I cant seem to find a good flow writing drums. I could really use some advice on that. I figured Id set these two sections and see how you guys thought they worked together and if there is any advice mixing.

The beginning is something of a jam that always come in my head but I never get to record it. I finally did but now where do I go?

https://soundcloud.com/jim-seekford-music/february

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Feb 13 2016, 02:45 AM
Learning Rock Star
Work in Progress!

What do you think? https://soundcloud.com/jim-seekford-music/february-2

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 13 2016, 05:14 PM
Instructor
Awesome step in musical direction! Your phrasing is saying something to me here, well done! I also like how your backing is getting better. You are definitely on the right track, keep going!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 13 2016, 09:30 PM
Better and better! The guys are spot on saying creating your own bits and backings is really important. Being able to solo over someone elses backing is a great first step, but making your own backings and bits to go on top is a great step on the path of Warrior, er. gunslinger, er. guitar player!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Feb 12 2016, 08:45 PM) *
Work in Progress!

What do you think? https://soundcloud.com/jim-seekford-music/february-2

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Feb 14 2016, 03:38 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Todd and Gab Thanks! I hope to finally record all the tunes and Ideas I have. Doesnt seem very likely that Ill play with real humans soon so this is my goal until that happens...

How do you think these two parts fuse? Any Ideas on connecting and what ideas should I be thinking about when switching drum grooves?
https://soundcloud.com/jim-seekford-music/febuary-3

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 15 2016, 12:28 PM
Instructor
The idea nd your phrasing brings a lot of promisses of cool composition. Now you really need to take care of all the layers out there - backign guitars, pad's what ever. They are same important as the solo itself.

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Feb 16 2016, 11:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
https://soundcloud.com/jim-seekford-music/groove
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Feb 15 2016, 07:28 AM) *
The idea nd your phrasing brings a lot of promisses of cool composition. Now you really need to take care of all the layers out there - backign guitars, pad's what ever. They are same important as the solo itself.

Hey Darius! Thanks man, I've recorded a new song and gave it vocals and backing guitar, lead, piano ect.... I am aware of the pitchy vocals but is it just the beginning. Do you have any suggestions?

This post has been edited by Jim S.: Feb 17 2016, 01:46 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 18 2016, 06:55 AM
NIcely done! For someone just now working on songwriting you are doing very well. Putting a song together with vocals and lyrics is just not an easy thing so congrats there!! I'd like the guitars a bit louder and maybe doubled and panned left right if they are not already smile.gif Also, maybe try doubling the vocal track?

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Feb 16 2016, 05:19 PM) *

Hey Darius! Thanks man, I've recorded a new song and gave it vocals and backing guitar, lead, piano ect.... I am aware of the pitchy vocals but is it just the beginning. Do you have any suggestions?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 18 2016, 10:09 AM
Instructor
As for your new song.....again you prove you have a musical talent. You need to spend more time comparing your work to a worldknown productions to hear where to tweak things up. I think the vocal is too loud, and guitar could be a little pulled out in the mix wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Feb 20 2016, 05:52 AM
Learning Rock Star
https://soundcloud.com/jim-seekford-music/strangeness-3

Hey Guys I have taken to heart the things you have said and made some progress mixing and adding more instruments. I did not redo the vocals yet but plan to format this as a normal formatted song with a chorus and the addition of the bridges somewhere....

+Quote Post
nikeman64
Feb 26 2016, 11:54 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi Jim,

Keep composing, you have talent. I hear you have a very strong feel for melody - lines. This reflects in your guitar phrasing. Very nice !! wink.gif

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:35 AM