8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Lcsdds (monte) Mentored By Muris, CLOSED
Muris Varajic
Jun 17 2009, 03:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jun 17 2009, 05:39 AM) *
Hi Muris,
Here is my entry for the PetrucciFever solo contest. I made some mistakes but it is the best I got right now. I don't know how much time I am gonna have to work on it in the next few weeks so I thought I better make a take now or it might not get done. I had a hard time with one of the sections until I remembered that you told me "YOU MUST USE HARMONIC MINOR IN THIS SECTION".... laugh.gif laugh.gif

I wish I had my AP to the point that I could use it for some uber fast licks.......maybe next time...... smile.gif

Great job on the Guitar Idol Final Muris.....\m/\m/

Nice job Monte!!
Is this final take or you can still fix it?
The only this that bothers me a little is ending of heavy section,
you could slow things down at the end using few long and strong notes
to calm down before easy section but that's just me, this is cool as well!
Technique wise it was perfect, maybe we are missing some AP licks
but there's plenty of time to fix that. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jun 17 2009, 03:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jun 17 2009, 03:12 PM) *
Nice job Monte!!
Is this final take or you can still fix it?
The only this that bothers me a little is ending of heavy section,
you could slow things down at the end using few long and strong notes
to calm down before easy section but that's just me, this is cool as well!
Technique wise it was perfect, maybe we are missing some AP licks
but there's plenty of time to fix that. smile.gif

No I can still fix it. I wanted to submit something because my wife informed me that she will be out of town the next two weekends and my older daughter just started working. That means no babysitter on the weekends for the rest of the month. I should be able to tweak it a little bit though.....I still have a couple of weeks.

I hear you on the AP licks.....my problem with it is that my top speed on anything that sounds halfway fast for an AP run is only about 160......the tempo for this is 100bpm. 16th notes are too slow to sound cool, 16th triplets might work but they still don's sound as fast as I can tap or do legato. What would you reccomend Muris. Tell me where you would slow it down.....like the time. I'll work on it and post a new take. If It works better I'll redo it. If not I already have a submission. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 17 2009, 03:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jun 17 2009, 04:18 PM) *
No I can still fix it. I wanted to submit something because my wife informed me that she will be out of town the next two weekends and my older daughter just started working. That means no babysitter on the weekends for the rest of the month. I should be able to tweak it a little bit though.....I still have a couple of weeks.

I hear you on the AP licks.....my problem with it is that my top speed on anything that sounds halfway fast for an AP run is only about 160......the tempo for this is 100bpm. 16th notes are too slow to sound cool, 16th triplets might work but they still don's sound as fast as I can tap or do legato. What would you reccomend Muris. Tell me where you would slow it down.....like the time. I'll work on it and post a new take. If It works better I'll redo it. If not I already have a submission. smile.gif

Well as for AP, you don't have to play it for 4 bars,
you can play short licks, like 4 or 6 notes, 16ths or 16ths triplets,
or even some random timing ala Malmsteen, just fire it!
And you should slow it down from 1:09 till 1:18,
were you played some trem picking.
You can leave few faster runs there but try to come up with nice line
that would lead smoothly into next section. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jun 17 2009, 03:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jun 17 2009, 03:38 PM) *
Well as for AP, you don't have to play it for 4 bars,
you can play short licks, like 4 or 6 notes, 16ths or 16ths triplets,
or even some random timing ala Malmsteen, just fire it!
And you should slow it down from 1:09 till 1:18,
were you played some trem picking.
You can leave few faster runs there but try to come up with nice line
that would lead smoothly into next section. smile.gif

Good advice Muris.....I'm gonna work on this. smile.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 17 2009, 04:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jun 17 2009, 04:52 PM) *
Good advice Muris.....I'm gonna work on this. smile.gif wink.gif

NP Monte, give it a shot and post it! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jun 28 2009, 07:41 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Muris,
I'm finding out that I have ADD.....I can't focus on one backing track for more than a few weeks. laugh.gif So this last week I had Andy email me the backing track from the Petruccifever contest that you were a judge for. I had been watching the videos from it and I had a bunch of licks stuck in my head and I needed to release them so I could get some sleep......Andy was kind enough to help me out. laugh.gif laugh.gif

Anyways.....here is what I have so far. I took your advice that you gave me on the last one and just let the notes fly on the last little part. I even threw in an AP run using more than one string. I'm finally getting to the point where these AP licks are starting to pop up without me having to think about them so much.......very new territory for me. Thanks for your help and I'll post this again when I get the rest of it done.....probably next weekend.

I'd love to hear what you think of my note choice.....hopefully I didn't hit too many clunkers. I really tried to be less shreddy and more melodic on this. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Jun 28 2009, 07:42 PM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 29 2009, 04:18 PM
Instructor
Ahh, I saw those AP licks, well done Monte,
it IS getting more and more natural! smile.gif

Notes choice was fine too, all long and string ones
were right on the stop and chord, that was nicely organized.
Now, it's not just notes (pitch) that gives us cool melodies
but also RHYTHM!!
Here's what you could do later on,
doesn't have to be for this track (tho it won't hurt wink.gif ).
You can analyze your playing (this take as well)
and locate starting point for each phrase/lick.
There are many repetitions considering starting points,
you might wanna mess around with that
to get more color in your playing.
An example, you start phrase right on the first beat,
then you put next phrase on 2nd beat, 2nd 8th note etc.
There are many, many options to play with rhtyhm
and you will surprised with results, in a good way of course,
try that! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jun 29 2009, 04:22 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jun 29 2009, 04:18 PM) *
Ahh, I saw those AP licks, well done Monte,
it IS getting more and more natural! smile.gif

Notes choice was fine too, all long and string ones
were right on the stop and chord, that was nicely organized.
Now, it's not just notes (pitch) that gives us cool melodies
but also RHYTHM!!
Here's what you could do later on,
doesn't have to be for this track (tho it won't hurt wink.gif ).
You can analyze your playing (this take as well)
and locate starting point for each phrase/lick.
There are many repetitions considering starting points,
you might wanna mess around with that
to get more color in your playing.
An example, you start phrase right on the first beat,
then you put next phrase on 2nd beat, 2nd 8th note etc.
There are many, many options to play with rhtyhm
and you will surprised with results, in a good way of course,
try that! smile.gif

Thanks Muris. I'll work on the Rhythm thing. I still have the last part to compose so I'll keep this in mind. So many cool tools when composing/improvising. I'm just trying to constantly be composing over some sort of backing so I can get comfortable with it. Thanks for the input Muris...... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 29 2009, 05:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jun 29 2009, 05:22 PM) *
Thanks Muris. I'll work on the Rhythm thing. I still have the last part to compose so I'll keep this in mind. So many cool tools when composing/improvising. I'm just trying to constantly be composing over some sort of backing so I can get comfortable with it. Thanks for the input Muris...... smile.gif

You're welcome Monte, let me know if you need anything else,
will wait for your update. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jul 24 2009, 07:29 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Muris,
Been awhile since I have posted because I have had nothing to post about.... tongue.gif laugh.gif Still working hard on my playing I'm just in one of those in between stages where I'm trying to get to the next level. I think my AP is finally to the point that I can start working on your lessons again and play them as written.....with AP where needed instead of legato and tapping. I'm gonna start tackling your Modal lessons. I'm gonna start with the Mixolydian advanced and see how I do.......I'm hoping I can pull it off. I'll upload as soon as I learn it and get a half way decent take......might not be full speed but I'll do my best. Thanks Muris. smile.gif

BTW Muris.....how would you reccomend I work on my vibrato. I've been doing slow bends to build strength.....any other suggestions? smile.gif

EDIT: Muris...I just realized I don't have the Mixolydian backing.. tongue.gif Any way I could get it from you? I thought I had it but I must have lost it when my computer died. sad.gif Thanks.. smile.gif

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Jul 24 2009, 08:44 PM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 25 2009, 03:04 AM
Instructor
Here are 2 backings with different speeds,
great to hear you're back on track Monte!!

Attached File  Mixolydian_Soloing_BT_85_bpm.mp3 ( 877.26K ) Number of downloads: 3

Attached File  Mixolydian_Soloing_BT_70_bpm.mp3 ( 1.05MB ) Number of downloads: 0

This Mixolydian advanced has some nice picking licks,
can't wait to see how you're gonna handle those. smile.gif

As for vibrato, it's hard to tell how to work on it, there are many ways.
You can play single note and apply different types if vibrato, slow and wide, fast and wide etc.
Then you can apply same things on bended note, to test how it works when string is bended.
You might wanna record that practicing session and listen to how it sounds,
your ear is best guide, you WILL notice when it sounds wrong.

Now that was "only" practicing, thing is, many players kind a forget to apply vibrato
when playing or just improvising.
Vibrato has to become nature to you, as natural as wearing your underwear,
this might be strange but I hope you get my point. laugh.gif
You have to think of vibrato all the time, apply it on every note possible (usually longer notes),
after a while you'll stop thinking of it and it'll be there, it just happens.
But before it happens you have to focus on it, focus on many different types of vibrato
so you could make fine selection when the time comes,
what kind of vibrato works best for certain note.

Let me know if I missed something. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jul 25 2009, 03:51 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
...Vibrato has to become nature to you, as natural as wearing your underwear....

UH-OH.....I can see I'm gonna have a problem already. I don't wear underwear...... laugh.gif laugh.gif Just kidding.

I picked the Mixolydian lesson because it looked like the rhythmns/tempo for the AP licks were in my range now. I'm excited to tackle this one. I've liked your modal lessons from Day one....just couldn't handle the AP on them but I think I am really close now. I've really been working hard on breaking down my AP mechanics and working on them really consistently. I've been studying some of my youtube videos and I've come to the conclusion that my vibrato......IS JUST HORRIBLE.... laugh.gif tongue.gif So I started studying your vids and I'm gonna start trying to emulate yours......especially your finger vibrato that you apply when when your thumb is anchored on the back of the neck and you aren't in a position to use your wrist for your vibrato. You said to record and listen and you are totally right on that. Like I said....my youtube vids have made it glaringly obvious what I need to work on.

I'm gonna learn the mixolydian lesson this weekend and work on it next week and I'll post a take on it next weekend. Thanks Muris....I'm really excited to start tackling these lessons of yours and applying some of my newly acquired AP chops.....no matter how humble they might be. smile.gif

I'm off to buys some underwear so I can improve me vibrato....... tongue.gif laugh.gif

\m/\m/

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 25 2009, 03:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jul 25 2009, 04:51 AM) *
I'm off to buys some underwear so I can improve me vibrato....... tongue.gif laugh.gif

\m/\m/

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 25 2009, 04:06 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jul 24 2009, 10:51 PM) *

\m/\m/

laugh.gif laugh.gif sorry to intrude guys but that cracked me up! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jul 25 2009, 04:13 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (skennington @ Jul 24 2009, 11:06 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif sorry to intrude guys but that cracked me up! laugh.gif

Me to! If I would have known it was that simple. Its all in the under ware. Works for Micheal Jordan right. smile.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jul 25 2009, 04:38 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Jul 25 2009, 04:13 AM) *
Me to! If I would have known it was that simple. Its all in the under ware. Works for Micheal Jordan right. smile.gif

Yeah.....Maybe Muris can get a Hanes Endorsement....... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jul 25 2009, 04:48 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jul 24 2009, 11:38 PM) *
Yeah.....Maybe Muris can get a Hanes Endorsement....... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

ph34r.gif

Sorry to hi-jack your thread bro. Good to see you posting again.

I really don't want to see Muris's reply though so later. laugh.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jul 25 2009, 02:20 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Muris,
I learned most of the Mixolydian advanced lesson this morning. I must say that I did a lot better than I thought I would. My AP focus over the last 4-5 months is paying off. There are a couple licks that are gonna be tough to get down but overall I think I will be able to get a take up next week sometime at about 60-75 bpm. Really cool lesson. You know that I like dissecting your lessons to steal your ideas and I had a question for you. I posted a picture from the tab and had a questio about it. This is the kind of lick that would have killed me before MTP but I was able to play it cleanly at about 60 bpm this morning and that is without really getting it into my muscle memory yet. I was wondering what you are doing here. I recognize that it is a pentatonic lick where you have just combined two box shapes to make it a 3nps shape but it sounds like there are some out notes as you continue on the pattern. Is it just a symmetrical pattern ala EVH? Very cool lick Muris. I remember you did something similar in your Phrygian advanced lesson and I had to figure out how to tap it........ tongue.gif laugh.gif Should be able to play it right this time. Thanks again Muris.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Picture_1.png ( 13.91K ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 25 2009, 04:22 PM
Instructor
Ah, that one is cool!!
Yeah, those are symmetrical shapes as we are using
same frets over 4 strings.
And there is one "out" note there compared with A Mixolydian, note C on G string,17th fret.
But as you can hear it blends smoothly with other notes,
we have have notes B and C# on B string and the whole
thing is small chromatic line: B, C and C#.
Now take a look back at the beginning of the lesson, there you have the same line.
So it's not pure A mixolydian but one extra notes won't hurt us, it's there to spice it up!!
And if you take a look at the notes you get F#m penta (on high E and B strings)
and then Am penta (G and D strings),
notes C and C# are working great together here,
we are getting this bluesy feel by using both major and minor 3rd. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jul 25 2009, 05:27 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 25 2009, 04:22 PM) *
Ah, that one is cool!!
Yeah, those are symmetrical shapes as we are using
same frets over 4 strings.
And there is one "out" note there compared with A Mixolydian, note C on G string,17th fret.
But as you can hear it blends smoothly with other notes,
we have have notes B and C# on B string and the whole
thing is small chromatic line: B, C and C#.
Now take a look back at the beginning of the lesson, there you have the same line.
So it's not pure A mixolydian but one extra notes won't hurt us, it's there to spice it up!!
And if you take a look at the notes you get F#m penta (on high E and B strings)
and then Am penta (G and D strings),
notes C and C# are working great together here,
we are getting this bluesy feel by using both major and minor 3rd. smile.gif

Thanks for the explanation Muris......I thought that's what was going on but I wanted to make sure. I like to understand where these cool licks come from so I can use it to create my own. I'll post again with a take on it as soon as i get one....I'm gonna shoot for 65 bpm for my first upload...... smile.gif

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:09 AM