2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Frusciante Style Collaboration, Final Mix & Comments
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 1 2009, 04:10 PM
Instructor
Hello GMC! This is the comments and final mix thread for the Frusciante Style Collaboration. I want to say that I'm impressed of the level in this collaboration. The quality of the takes is fantastic. Every take has something to stand out and the whole mix is really cool to hear. I can say that we have a lot of tasty players at GMC!
If you haven't participated please take your time to hear this final mix because you'll find a lot of inspiring stuff on it!

Attached File  Frusciante_Collaboration_Final_Mix.mp3 ( 8.98MB ) Number of downloads: 287

So thanks to the 15 participants and congrats for your playing and creativity!

Here we start with the comments:

Adrian Figallo (00:02 – 00:41)
Amazing job Adrian! First I want to thank you for being part of my collaboration! It's a honour to have your on it! Now talking about the take I can note that you have John's style very incorporated in your playing! The notes chose are perfect at every moment and that the most important thing in Frusciante's style. The execution is also very good and I love the feeling of your playing in this one. The tone sounds close to John and the reverb settings make the take fit perfect in the mix. Good job!

Berglmir (00:42 – 01:20)
Hi man! Your tone and playing and very in the style of the backing! I think that you nailed perfectly the idea of this collaboration. The beginning of your solo doesn't sound like something that John would play in a solo but it sound very cool. It's a funky idea played rhythmically perfectly. I like every note that you played and I love the fact than you never overplayed in the whole solo. I would only say that there are some little intonation problems in some bends. I like you sound since it sound very in the style.
Well done!

Dexxter (01:21 – 01:57)
Nice take and feeling! The first round of the backing you composed an amazing solo that could be part of any Californication song. The notes are just perfect at every moment and the bends are very expressive. I think that you loss the perfection in the middle of the solo (01:44). There is a note out there and some little timing issues at that point. In the end your solo turns perfect again. Your tone sound very cool for the style and with this backing.

Enpantheboy (01:58 – 02:37)
I like the feeling of your take. You sound really nice in the whole solo. The beginning is played perfect and sounds like a great variation of the original lesson. I like the lick that you repeat at 2:17 but its repetitions are a little out of tempo. Then the solo continues ok but I think that it would sound more interesting if you would play variations instead of repetitions of some licks. Your clean tone sound very warm and it's perfect for the song.

Jafomatic (02:37 – 03:17)
The first idea of your solo is so great. That funky phrasing with delay at tempo sounds fantastic! Then the solo continues with a lot of amazing licks and ideas! I love every lick and phrase. The structure of the solo has been composed (or maybe improvised?) in a very effective way. The only thing that I note if that in some parts the delay makes the solo sound a bit confused. I'm not sure if this is because the original lick played is a bit out of tempo or if the delay time isn't at the correct tempo. BTW I have listened many Frusciante and even Mars Volta's solos that use this as and intentional effect.

JVM (03:17 – 03:53)

I'm impressed of you tone in this take! It's sound like if Frusciante would record it! The tone reminds me to John's solo albums. I want to know what you used to record this take! It's such good that with just some cool bends you did a fantastic solo. However I want to add that the notes that chose for your bends are PERFECT. I also like how you used the silence as a part of your solo. This gives every idea a lot of more importance. I only have to congrats you because every aspect (playing, feel, tone, structure, composition) is excellent and this take show that you are a very creative player.

Kaznie (03:53 – 04:33)
You recorded a very good solo inspired that starts very inspired in the original lesson and then it evolves in other directions. Regarding you technique I think that the solo is played perfect and with the required vibrato to capture the "soul" of the style. The notes that chose sound very good excepting in some section of the second part. I'm basing only on my ear (that is how John composes his solos). I have the sensation that some notes are tensions that don't first perfect with the chord played. This thing is very easy to work and you don't need to study a lot of books of harmony to improve it. You have to detect those licks (example: at 04:16) and then try to sing which ones would be the nicer note for that moment in the song. Now talking about your tone I think that you should have tried with something warmer for this stuff. A warmer sound or even a clean sound would make this solo sound a much better! BTW in the overall you did a good job. Thanks for your take Kaz!

Keilnoth (04:33 – 05:12)
Hey man! Nice playing. You captured John's tone and phrasing style in your take. I personally prefer the first part of your solo. It sounds better played and the ideas seem to be more connected. In the second part you have timing problems in some licks (05:00) but everything turns well again in the end of the solo. When I hear your solo I feel that it could be a fantastic solo with a little more work in the evolution of it. Its structure seems too linear in the whole solo and after hearing it I am still waiting something to happen. Do you understand what I mean? Regarding your technique I thing that the most important thing to work is your timing. And regarding the sound I must say that your tone is very good in this one. Thanks for your take.

No Skill (05:12 – 05:49)
Your take is Psychedelic! I'm amazed of the fact that you did something completely different to the original lesson and it still sound like Frusciante. Your tone is just perfect in this one! The amount of effect + the amp sound are so psychedelic and remind me to John's solo album and also to The Mars Volta guitar sounds. This is not a coincidence since Frusciante usually appears as a guest in Mars Volta's albums. The phrasing is very cool and very 70's! I can feel some stoner vibes on it (Have you heard "Spirirual Beggars"??). I only can say that some licks are a (very little) out of tempo.
But your tone and phrasing made my day! Congrats for your take NoSkill!

Rated htr (05:49 – 06:27)
You nailed Californication style! Your take sounds as a nice variation of the original lesson. I like the notes and licks that you chose for every moment and I feel that it's a very nice to hear solo. The evolution is very good and I think that the last funky lick is a very good choice for the ending. Your playing is very good and I don't note any technical problem in your take. The only thing that I hear is some intonation problems (at 6:00) that seem to be a problem with the guitar calibration. Your tone is warm and clean as the one that John usually uses. So I only can say! Thank you and Good job!

Sensible Jones (06:27 – 07:05)
You have the most original tone in the whole collaboration and you still sound in style! I must say that your take is so expressive and I feel that your guitar is talking! She is saying something and that was the main idea of this collaboration! I'm sure that the effect similar to a wah wah gives it that characteristic of "talking guitar". The phrasing sounds like something composed by John and the structure makes the solo very funny to hear. Your playing is perfect and has the expression required for the vibe of the song. I want to thank you for your take and ask you what your settings are for this one!

Siggum (07:05 – 07:43)
What a groove! Can't stop listening to your take! I love your playing in this one! It's so groovy! And that something very difficult to achieve in a ballad! The playing is so fluently and every lick that appear fits perfect with the previous and the next one. You composed a fantastic solo! I can hear a dialogue between the licks and this gives a uniform sense to the whole take. Your tone is very good and is clearly generated with your fingers (and pick). The technique is perfect and the timing is superb! You nailed John style and recorded of the best take in this collaboration! Great job my friend!

Skennington (07:43 – 08:22)
Hi Sken! I like how your take begins. It starts like a variation of the original lesson however I feel that then it keeps in the same way and nothing more interesting happen. I think that the overall is too linear and I'm sure that it's because you played long note in most parts of the take. You repeated the same note values in the most of the part of your take and that makes the solo less interesting. By the way the notes that you chose sound very good over the chords and there are some interesting melodies. I like the tone that you used for your solo and your playing is generally very good. Thanks for your take Sken!

Toroso (08:22 – 09:00)
I like the stuff that you provided in this take! There are some interesting and amazing melodies on it. So I think that your creativity is very high! However I feel that your playing is a bit shy and insecure. You need to play the notes strongly and add some strong vibrato to sound confident. That's the most important thing to work on your playing. Even the bends should sound stronger and more defined. If you'd improve this thing you could make you nice solo sound as a SUPERB solo. You don't have to change the notes, you have to add feeling! Regarding your sound I like the tone that you set for the take and I think that it fits perfect with the backing.

Uncrediblehaak (09:00 – 09:48)
Ok, I reached to the end of the song and I found a beautiful take! I love your solo! It sounds so nice. That guitar is crying! I feel a very melancholic vibe on it. You recorded a take that hasn't any similarity to the original lesson and it even sound very in the style of John Frusciante. Every note, every phrase, every silence, every bend is perfect! I want to stand out that you used the silences as a part of your solo and that's a very important thing. Your playing and tone are very professional. I want to say thank you for sharing you music with us! Keep on rocking!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 1 2009, 04:43 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for your comments gabe! And I must say great takes everyone, I haven't listened to most of these until now. I thought my tone was a little bit on the dull or even muddy side, but it's a work in progress. It's basically strat (I think I used the neck mostly) -> mesa boogie f-30 -> recording output on the amp -> computer -> ReCabinet. I think I've already improved the clarity significantly since this take.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JVM: Dec 1 2009, 04:43 PM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Dec 1 2009, 04:51 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Thanks for the wonderful comments Gabe. I didn't feel like I would get such a flawless comment from you in this take. Can you also give me a pointer, if you know, on how to calibrate the guitar properly? smile.gif

Thanks

Cya on the next Collab wink.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Dec 1 2009, 05:38 PM
Instructor
thanks for your feedback gabriel! lots of good takes!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 1 2009, 05:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JVM @ Dec 1 2009, 12:43 PM) *
Thanks for your comments gabe! And I must say great takes everyone, I haven't listened to most of these until now. I thought my tone was a little bit on the dull or even muddy side, but it's a work in progress. It's basically strat (I think I used the neck mostly) -> mesa boogie f-30 -> recording output on the amp -> computer -> ReCabinet. I think I've already improved the clarity significantly since this take.

Your tone was perfect for this style! Mesa boogie never fails! Well done and Thanks for being part!

QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Dec 1 2009, 12:51 PM) *
Thanks for the wonderful comments Gabe. I didn't feel like I would get such a flawless comment from you in this take. Can you also give me a pointer, if you know, on how to calibrate the guitar properly? smile.gif

Thanks

Cya on the next Collab wink.gif

When was the last time that you changed your strings?

QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Dec 1 2009, 01:38 PM) *
thanks for your feedback gabriel! lots of good takes!

thank you for your take! I think that you should do a Frusciante style lesson! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 1 2009, 06:15 PM
GMC:er
Wow! Thanks for the great comment Gabe!! smile.gif
The Setting is just a shallow Auto-wah on my Zoom 9150 with a low Frequency setting.
smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Dec 1 2009, 06:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 1 2009, 11:43 AM) *
Your tone was perfect for this style! Mesa boogie never fails! Well done and Thanks for being part!

When was the last time that you changed your strings?

thank you for your take! I think that you should do a Frusciante style lesson! smile.gif

thanks man, i really love "Emit Remmus" from the californication album, would love to make a Feedback lesson smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Toroso
Dec 1 2009, 06:38 PM
Hi Gabe! Thanks for the comments and great collab! smile.gif Can you be a little more specific about problems with bends and vibrato? This is what I am always called on. When I am recording the vibrato sounds better live than the recorded version. A recording issue???

I'll have to track down some bend/vibrato lessons!

You liked my tone? Not so happy myself. mellow.gif It's my homebrew tube amp and crappy Nady mic.

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Dec 1 2009, 07:30 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Gabriel! Thanks for the comments. This was a very enjoyable final mix. I think that the quality of the takes and the quality of the final mix is one of the best that I've heard. Congrats to everyone for such thoughtful work, and thanks Gabriel, for the collab and the effort in the mix and comments. This one brought a much needed smile to my day!

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 1 2009, 07:46 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Thanks again for the collab Gabe and the time spent on the comments. smile.gif I agree a 100% with what you are saying regarding my take. Now that I listen to it again, I hear things that I could have improved on. But that's the way it usually goes right.. laugh.gif I'll take your advice as I do all and work on my phrase lines to make the next one more interesting.

I enjoyed listening to everyone on this one as well!

/Steve

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Dec 1 2009, 08:16 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 1 2009, 04:10 PM) *
Berglmir (00:42 – 01:20)
Hi man! Your tone and playing and very in the style of the backing! I think that you nailed perfectly the idea of this collaboration. The beginning of your solo doesn't sound like something that John would play in a solo but it sound very cool. It's a funky idea played rhythmically perfectly. I like every note that you played and I love the fact than you never overplayed in the whole solo. I would only say that there are some little intonation problems in some bends. I like you sound since it sound very in the style.
Well done!

Wow - I mean WOW! Thanx for your very kind feedback. It´s the first collab I did with my new guitar (see https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=31989 for more details) and I think it worked out just fine.

Thanks again for a great collab and your feedback - looking forward for more! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 1 2009, 08:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Toroso @ Dec 1 2009, 02:38 PM) *
Hi Gabe! Thanks for the comments and great collab! smile.gif Can you be a little more specific about problems with bends and vibrato? This is what I am always called on. When I am recording the vibrato sounds better live than the recorded version. A recording issue???

I'll have to track down some bend/vibrato lessons!

You liked my tone? Not so happy myself. mellow.gif It's my homebrew tube amp and crappy Nady mic.

Hi Toroso! When I hear your take I feel that you are not confident with what you are playing. You have to make your guitar scream! Check out some SRV live videos to understand what I mean. I feel that you should concentrate on adding more expression to your playing. This can be done adding a stronger vibrato (wider) and also playing with your pick stronger to get a louder sound. Try playing in an exagerated way to get your fingers accostumed to play stronger. Does this make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Dec 2 2009, 12:24 AM
Experienced Rock Star
@Gabe
Couple of days before I did the collab, intonation was set as well, I had a problem with the bridge, doesn't seem to be the problem anymore unless you want to consider it, don't think it's truss rod either wink.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 2 2009, 02:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Dec 1 2009, 03:30 PM) *
Gabriel! Thanks for the comments. This was a very enjoyable final mix. I think that the quality of the takes and the quality of the final mix is one of the best that I've heard. Congrats to everyone for such thoughtful work, and thanks Gabriel, for the collab and the effort in the mix and comments. This one brought a much needed smile to my day!

biggrin.gif Nice to read it! The final mix also brought a smile to my day! Thanks for your participation!

QUOTE (skennington @ Dec 1 2009, 03:46 PM) *
Thanks again for the collab Gabe and the time spent on the comments. smile.gif I agree a 100% with what you are saying regarding my take. Now that I listen to it again, I hear things that I could have improved on. But that's the way it usually goes right.. laugh.gif I'll take your advice as I do all and work on my phrase lines to make the next one more interesting.

I enjoyed listening to everyone on this one as well!

/Steve

Thank you Steve! I'm glad to know that the comments helps! See you in the next one!

QUOTE (Berglmir @ Dec 1 2009, 04:16 PM) *
Wow - I mean WOW! Thanx for your very kind feedback. It´s the first collab I did with my new guitar (see https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=31989 for more details) and I think it worked out just fine.

Thanks again for a great collab and your feedback - looking forward for more! biggrin.gif

Wou! She looks and sounds great! Congrats on your new guitar! smile.gif Thanks for participating!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Siggum
Dec 2 2009, 01:39 PM
Hey Gabe and others!

First id like to say it was great listening to all the takes, many really good ideas/tones/structures etc. I think its the first time im in one of your collabs and what a great backing track to jam over Gabriel biggrin.gif, thx for putting the whole thing together and thanks for great feedback.

Cheers
Siggum

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 2 2009, 03:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Siggum @ Dec 2 2009, 09:39 AM) *
Hey Gabe and others!

First id like to say it was great listening to all the takes, many really good ideas/tones/structures etc. I think its the first time im in one of your collabs and what a great backing track to jam over Gabriel biggrin.gif , thx for putting the whole thing together and thanks for great feedback.

Cheers
Siggum

Thank you Siggum! I glad to know that you enjoy it! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Dexxter
Dec 3 2009, 05:15 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Thanks for this collab and your comments Gabriel! I agree with you completely, the solo lost it's flow exactly where you said but then it got back in the end. It was an improvisation so I'm really happy with the parts that sounded good smile.gif Thanks a lot for this once again, see you on the next wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Dec 3 2009, 05:19 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks Gabe, for the Backing and ofcourse for the comments!!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 3 2009, 11:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dexxter @ Dec 3 2009, 01:15 PM) *
Thanks for this collab and your comments Gabriel! I agree with you completely, the solo lost it's flow exactly where you said but then it got back in the end. It was an improvisation so I'm really happy with the parts that sounded good smile.gif Thanks a lot for this once again, see you on the next wink.gif

QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Dec 3 2009, 01:19 PM) *
Thanks Gabe, for the Backing and ofcourse for the comments!!

Thank you guys! I'm glad that you enjoyed the collab!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
uncrediblehaak
Dec 5 2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks alot for the comments! Didn't expect such a positive review, but it made my day smile.gif

I really enjoyed the full mix. Lots of great takes. I will definately take part in more collabs in the future.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:16 PM