> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Alex5's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 18 2015, 10:45 PM
Instructor
Good take man! Your timing is really good on this one! I'd like to see you focusing more on dynamics as we discussed previously.

Keep on rocking.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex5
Oct 20 2015, 07:48 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey Gab,

I take a look on a lesson with brace notes. I'm not sure understanding how to play them and what it it exactly. They are visible on the tab and music sheet but I Don't see the instructor playing them. It's the Jazz swing lead lesson.

Can you explain me ?

Here's a listing of the lessons I work on :
- jazz swing lead
- bossa nova rythme
- rythme figure workout (ended soon)
- Manowar for beginners
- metal power chords

A versatile list.. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Alex5: Oct 20 2015, 08:28 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 20 2015, 02:06 PM
Instructor
Hi Alex, if you check the first slow video you'll see that Muris starts with a fast slide from fret 5th to 6th on the thirds string. The first note is what is called a brace note and it means that you play a note very close to the next one. It's an embellishment that can be added to make your lines more interesting and this way of writing it is to make it easier to read and also write it. The "book" definition is:

"A brace is a vertical bow-shaped bracket connecting two or more musical staves. Staves within a brace are played simultaneously by one performer."

In reality, you won't play both note simultaneously but you'll do it the closer possible to give a simultaneous effect. It can be tricky to explain it with words but please check the main video and identify how it sounds.

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex5
Oct 20 2015, 02:20 PM
Good ! By instinct I played it like that.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 20 2015, 02:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Alex5 @ Oct 20 2015, 10:20 AM) *
Good ! By instinct I played it like that.

Ok! You can share a video playing this to let me check how you do it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex5
Oct 20 2015, 03:00 PM
Of course I'll do. Let me few days. I've got some visit at home these days it will be difficult to record.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 21 2015, 01:25 PM
Instructor
Ok! no problem. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex5
Oct 22 2015, 03:01 PM
Hey Gab,

I've made a take of the 6 first bars of Jazz swing lead. Can you tell me for the brace notes ? Are they good?
(I haven't work my tone)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 22 2015, 04:46 PM
Instructor
Hi Alex, yes, the brace notes are being played correctly. Try to make them sound more defined as it happens in the original lesson, but you are on the right track. Well done.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex5
Oct 24 2015, 09:20 PM
Hi Gab,

Step by step I progress on the Jazz swing lead lesson. Still working on the timing. I add one or two bars per day. Miss me 7 bars to go.
After I 'll start polishing.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 25 2015, 08:02 PM
Instructor
Great! Thanks for the update. Keep going! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex5
Oct 29 2015, 02:13 PM
Hey Gab,

Here's a first take of the Jazz Swing Lead Lesson.
There's so much mistakes to fix, I know it. But I think, it's a "not bad" take and a good way to start.

I have also a Cort Joe Beck guitar which could match better, but I love so much my Telecaster !
The tone I have chosen is very basic. I 'll work on it too.

This post has been edited by Alex5: Oct 29 2015, 02:16 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 29 2015, 02:43 PM
Instructor
Hi Alex!

Yeah! I also think that this is a good first take and it will be our reference to follow your progress as it happened with Muse's lesson.

The licks are learnt but now you have to put your focus on polishing each of them, starting with timing and then adding other elements like vibrato and dynamics. Working on tone is also a good plan, so you are on the right track, just keep the good job!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex5
Nov 3 2015, 06:28 PM

Here's a new take.
I cannot note big improvement but it sounds a bit better.

Can you tell me the first thing I should work to improve it ?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 4 2015, 02:04 PM
Instructor
Hi Alex, the first two things that you should improve on this one are timing and intensity with your right hand thumb which tends to be weak in some notes and phrases. Play along with the original lesson to fix timing and play over the backing track to fix intensity.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex5
Nov 12 2015, 10:15 PM
Hi Gab,

I continue my work on the lessons, but I started the Creativity workout and the Improvisation course too.
I like to create tracks but as you have seen I have a problem to make a melody or a lead track.
That's why you advice me to start the improvisation course.

I've watch assignement 1 this afternoon, work the arpeggios, the scale, etc..

Actually, I already know these things, I can find an arpeggio or a scale over the neck. (I have to work to make them natural and fast).
The problem I have, I don't know how to build a melody. Is it exist a method, to do this ? Any tips ?

When I play over the BT, it is like that :
"It's the G major chord.. let's start... F*** the chord has change it's the D major I will play... it still change it's now the C major... The next one will be G... Get ready.." etc... etc...

I spent my time thinking about what I can play.. I have the feeling to run behind the BT, to have one bar late every time.
I am too cerebral and I have work too much the theory instead of working my guitar. (My reading before sleep is this book (la partition intérieure by Jacques Siron) since 1 year. Idon't know if you've ever seen this book and if it is translated in english and spanish. It's about jazz music and improvisation. Over 700 pages of happiness biggrin.gif
So I've a lot of theoric tools but I can't translate them on guitar.

My playing becomes mathematic, with no feeling, no soul. It's very frustrating.
The melodies I've made are boring on my guitar or in my head.

Have you any advice ?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 15 2015, 12:25 AM
Instructor
Hi Alex, let's work on your melodies.

The improvisation workout is based on learning all the tools that you need to improvise but also to connect your mind with your fret-board. There are different methods to build melodies but one important thing is be able to transpose them from your mind to your guitar smoothly. That's why I consider the improvisation workout assignments essential.

I have one question, are you able to sing melodies over a backing track?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex5
Nov 15 2015, 09:07 AM
Yes I'm able to sing over a BT. The difficulties i have are to construct the "story" around the melody.
When i sing, there's something instinctive, that i've not with a guitar. I'm not enough self confident with m'y guitar.
So m'y melodies looks like scales exercices.

I spent too much time to think : am I good with the timing ? Should I change the rythme of thé melody?

There's not so much place in m'y head for the music..

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 15 2015, 04:08 PM
Instructor
Well, if you are able to sing melodies, that's a good first step. You should start practicing creating phrases first with your mind and then transposing them to your guitar. This process will be slow at first but with practice you'll be able to do it simultaneously and that's when the improvisation course becomes important, singing along the scales and patterns while you practice them and also doing some ear training are things that will help you on this process.

What I'm trying to say is that this phrasing thing that you want to work isn't something that will be learnt in 1 day, you need to work on different elements that will help you to slowly get better and better on this, does it make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex5
Nov 15 2015, 09:53 PM
Very clear. So.. let's work.

edit :

Here's a take from Jazz Lead Lesson (with a typing error on title sorry Muris... I just see that...)

This post has been edited by Alex5: Nov 16 2015, 05:02 PM

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:22 PM