I'm Buying New Computer, moving from 32bit XP to 64bit Win7...
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 10 2011, 09:54 AM
Instructor
I love computers. I've been into computer hardware and software since I was a child, and love to make my own configurations. Every computer is a direct reflection of a person who is using it, and I'm using mine for work mostly..

Rendering times are becoming unbearable for my outdated machine, which I purchased some 3 years ago (thanks to GMC). Here's the PC I bought then:

AMD 690G chipset (I don't use discrete GPU, I use integrated one)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ (upgraded to 6000+ 6 months ago)
2 GB of RAM (upgraded to 4GB 2 years ago)
250GB HD (upgraded to 550GB 2 years ago)
Cooler Master quiet and quality PSU
E-MU 1212m audio card (two PCI audio cards)

I also have great 500W UPS with battery, that saved me numerous times, smartest investment I had.

Some gamer would think of this computer as a very weak one, and for games it is, but I don't play games for some time now, and raw CPU power is what I need for video and audio production.

Since primarily for video rendering/coding/encoding/audio production I need more and more CPU power, I decided to get the best of the existing technology today, and have room for upgrades tomorrow.

Again, I decided for AMD platform. Although Intel has more power on the single core and better architecture at the moment, AMD is making processors with more cores, Phenom II X6 has 6 cores, and for video production even the strongest i7 quad core cannot match it. Hyperthreading is not important with video production, as all cycles are already spent on rendering anyway. SInce Premiere, AfterEffects and Vegas can use all 6 cores, it will be better to get something like that.

So, new configuration is (with a budget limitation of 600e) *drumrolls..*

AMD 970 chipset (no support for SLI/CF but I don't need that, supporting AM3+ socket for upcoming CPUs with 8 cores)
Discrete GPU unit (passive cooled Radeon HD6xxx series)
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition (overclockers CPU, but I'll keep it on default settings)
2x4GB of RAM (1600)

one 64GB SSD drive (system drive for Win7, and all important audio and video applications)
one 300 GB drive (for audio files)
one 750 GB drive (for video files and bulky VST instruments)

This is the core of the system. I had some troubles finding a MOBO that has 2 PCI slots, they are becoming legacy, and my E-MU 1212m is serving me too well to trash it. It will have 4 USB3 slots and 2Firewire lines.

Again, good 550W PSU is a must, I took Cooler Master one with a big fan, and don't intend to use any stronger, because I don't want to use dual GPUs.

---------------

This all was little problem to get by, but the real problem will be transferring from 32bit to 64bit. I've heard lots of people had problems there, with drivers, then with working in Nuendo, using jBridge for all those great 32bit plugs that don't exist as 64bit..

Well, I'll let you know along the way how things will work out, this should be one hell of a ride. I hope it will all turn out well smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Oct 10 2011, 10:06 AM
Instructor
I have a similar dilemma these days...AMD,Intel,AMD,Intel,x32,x64, Xp,7... unsure.gif !?!! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Oct 10 2011, 03:25 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
If possible, order the parts and assemble it yourself. 99% of the time you can save a couple hundred dollars, thats what I do.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 10 2011, 05:59 PM
Instructor
Well, it's already ordered, there is a store here that is the most cheapest, so I let them assemble it (since I'm buying most of the things there). Don't want to bother with that part, I think the other part will be lot more demanding. How will I manage to keep all my workflow in 64bit?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 10 2011, 06:12 PM
GMC:er
Have got my new one up and running now too Ivan!
AMD II x4 640 processor. 3.06 Ghz
8 Gb Ram.
64-bit Win 7.
1 Tb and 500Gb HDD.

Had some problems with drivers etc but managed to find most of them available online. Hopefully you should be OK there!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
JamesT
Oct 10 2011, 09:10 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
You're gonna love it Ivan. Congrats.
I went from Pentium 4 running XP to the I7 and Win7, 64. Huge noticable performance improvement for me. I did end up also updating to the 64 bit version of Sonar for my DAW. Some of the VSTs I'm using are 64 bit, but lots are still 32 bit. Sonar handles this pretty well. I'll bet the other DAW's out there can support this as well. Since I bought my I7 with very close to the initial release of Win7, there were a few driver availability questions. But now after a couple of years, I think that's been pretty well sorted out in the marketplace. Have fun with your new PC.

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 11 2011, 12:34 PM
Instructor
Thanks a lot guys, I hope everything will be OK. Win7 should be more stable now after SP1 too I suppose..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 11 2011, 04:40 PM
Instructor
My current computer is like your old one! I need to upgrade it soon. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
TesttubeMammoth
Oct 13 2011, 07:15 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Ivan!

Thought I'd add a quick note on this one.
64 bit Windows 7 should support most of your 32 bit programs - unless the installer refuses to install when it sees the architecture. It separates 64 and 32 bit programs into different folders, I am still using 32 bit cubase sx on Windows 7 64 with no issues.
I guess the main thing to be concerned about is whether you are getting the full performance from your machine using 32 bit programs. If you have 8gb of ram then probably not - a 32 bit architecture can only address just under 4 gb of memory.
In short, if you are doing stuff like video editing it is worthwhile getting hold of the 64 bit version as it will be able to utilise all them memory your new machine can throw at it whereas the 32 bit version will be limited to around 4 gb.

hope this helps smile.gif

--------------------
be excellent to each other

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:10 PM