> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

23 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 >  
Tom51's Practice Thread, for Gab's Army
Tom51
May 25 2017, 03:26 PM
Learning Roadie
Yes absolutely Gab, the idea behind this was to be most of the practice time fully concentrated and motivated. That is why I think its better to work 10min on a lesson with focus on what to improve and play a "few good rounds" instead getting sloppy and practice mediocre playing for 30min.

So I have the 3 rhythm lessons and the 2 Santana which would make me spend about 1hr in total. Besides guitar gym scales there is enough time to explore some new lessons. Not in order to learn them fully and mater them - just to play enjoy and learn from them. (theory , technique...) Maybe master later.

I sill want to learn fingerpicking so maybe these are worth checking:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Playing-in-10ths/
like the concept and maybe I can use 10s this for my own playing later

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Dire-Straits-Inspired/
really nice - also with some soloing includes all i want to work on.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/BB-King-Blues/
or this one to work on with focus bending and vibrato

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/C-Minor-Soul-Blues/
one of my favorites

I think I can work on ONE part of 2 of the above lessons (I would simply start with P1) and would record a SLOW version of this part once I have it . So we have the reporting we both want .

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 26 2017, 01:33 AM
Instructor
Hi Tom, this sounds very good! The lessons that you've chosen are great and cover different aspects that you'll enjoy and that will give a good impact to your playing.

Let's do your plan of working on 1 part of two lessons from that list. I suggest choosing the 10ths one and one of the blues lessons. Deal?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Tom51
May 26 2017, 05:04 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 26 2017, 12:33 AM) *
Hi Tom, this sounds very good! The lessons that you've chosen are great and cover different aspects that you'll enjoy and that will give a good impact to your playing.

Let's do your plan of working on 1 part of two lessons from that list. I suggest choosing the 10ths one and one of the blues lessons. Deal?

Sounds great - lets do it.I would like to got for these two then. How will the plan look like?

Thanks Tom

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 26 2017, 06:02 PM
Instructor
Choose 1 part of each of those lessons and dedicate a block of 10 minutes to each of these parts. Dedicate some time to analyse the theory behind it and how it's related to the backing track.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
May 27 2017, 10:52 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 26 2017, 05:02 PM) *
Choose 1 part of each of those lessons and dedicate a block of 10 minutes to each of these parts. Dedicate some time to analyse the theory behind it and how it's related to the backing track.

Thanks - I will do it exactly this way, start today and share two videos after 10 days.

After working on dynamics I recorded a new rhythm lesson. Also I really getting more and more confident with the playing and feel that chord changes, strumming and overall is getting smoother and relaxed with all three rhythm lessons. Did not feel stress when I recorded.
Hope you can hear and see this?

https://youtu.be/P7doRJC2Vz0

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 28 2017, 04:22 PM
Instructor
Yes! The difference is really notable! This is definitely the right direction mate. smile.gif

Please keep on practising in this way. I'll wait for your new takes.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Jun 5 2017, 05:49 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab - video time again biggrin.gif

Currently I play a lot (3hrs per day ) often till late at night when the family already sleeps. I simply enjoy my time with the guitar and in summer I really feel good with only 6hrs sleep per night. This gives me some more practice time and I am want to use my high motivation. smile.gif

This time its all about rhythm, next weekend comes one part from the two new lessons (all on track) - and the week after the two Santana videos ( guitar gym pays off!)

Till the end of June I would like end end on these rhythm lessons with hopefully a decent take for REC. Lets see is that is possible.

Funky Minor Chords
https://youtu.be/1CSJr04Ayeg

Triads & Comping
https://youtu.be/d8YoglYFv88

Soul Rhythm Guitar
https://youtu.be/rGM9plpg9HI

(I was thinking about adding the original GMC link and my last video for each lesson above- but was not sure if that helps or only spams. Please let me know if that makes your work easier and I will always add them in the future)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 6 2017, 02:20 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom! The link to lessons is always welcome. wink.gif

I think that your rhythm work is getting better and better. Each of the three lessons sound good and don't show any relevant issue regarding rhythm or unwanted noises.

There is some extra room to sound better regarding groove, and dynamics that is directly related to the motion of your right hand. I've seen important improvements regarding that motion, but there is still work to do. I still think that your hand should relax more and move up and down freely.

At this point, I think that the best would be if you try to liberate your right hand in an exaggerated way just to get used to that. This will surely generate new issues and unwanted noises, but it's the path to get groovier.

Check out some great rhythm guitarist for inspiration. Here is one:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Jun 6 2017, 02:32 PM
Learning Roadie
Yes, that is really groovy. Will experiment with my right hand in an exaggerated way to get more relaxed.

Update today: I watched a ton of rhythm videos (esp Funky stuff) and feel I understand what changes you were talking about. Lets see if my next videos are in the right direction or if I do wrong.

Another update Gab ohmy.gif
about something different - ahh... not really it's still about guitar playing - but it's about how to develop my own "voice and sound" of guitar. In December I will be playing for 3 years and I have learned some basic techniques - of course I do not master them yet - but I want to direct my guitar playing/learning journey closer towards my own taste. There are so many genres from Metal to Jazz that are great inspiration but I cannot learn all styles.

Below tracks from a guitar reseller/player are a direction where I would like develop my playing towards. Of course not with that professionalism maybe someday half as good :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPoS4vtDiKE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq2OVlK-Ang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcblOslxKbQ

That means after I mastered the current 5 lessons we are working on I will go for less lessons at a time (max 2-3) to have at least 45min/day to work on this dream. This will cover all things from music theory, the technique (bending, vibrato, dynamics, picking hand) sound and ...
Can we do this together here at GMC? Later this year?
I am really curious what you think. Cheers Tom

This post has been edited by Tom51: Jun 7 2017, 08:54 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 7 2017, 09:31 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom! Great to know that you've been watching many rhythm guitar videos and could get what I meant. smile.gif

About the links, I love that way of playing. His playing is tasty, expressive, and his tone is just perfect with each of the 3 guitars, being the telecaster my favourite in this case.

Having a clear direction is a very wise and effective idea. It doesn't mean that you can't change it in the future, but it means that you'll go deep with this type of playing which is mostly around modern blues with some rock & pop influences.

Please make me remind this plan again as soon as you finish with the current 5 lessons so I have present this style of playing as your new target.

Deal?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Jun 8 2017, 11:40 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 7 2017, 08:31 PM) *
Please make me remind this plan again as soon as you finish with the current 5 lessons so I have present this style of playing as your new target.

Deal?

Deal! I am really looking forwarding working on this later this year and now I will work hard and highly motivated on my current lessons. Thanks a lot Gab!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 8 2017, 03:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tom51 @ Jun 8 2017, 07:40 AM) *
Deal! I am really looking forwarding working on this later this year and now I will work hard and highly motivated on my current lessons. Thanks a lot Gab!

Sounds great! smile.gif

Listening to a lot of that type of playing is part of the learning so you can start now.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jun 8 2017, 03:36 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Jun 9 2017, 09:15 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 8 2017, 02:35 PM) *
Sounds great! smile.gif

Listening to a lot of that type of playing is part of the learning so you can start now.

I do so for sure smile.gif
It seems I will at least need one pedal - a looper. I like the idea of applying music theorie in that way. From 0:30 to around 01:00 he makes his backing tracking and then plays over it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFAn4KxaB1E

About the rhythm hand again. I was recording videos of my playing again and again from differnet angles when I thought I got it - but when I viewed it afterwards it still does not look right. It seems I need more time. So I will take it as I want to get it right before moving on.

What I was trying to emulate is something like this:

playing starts at 05:00 ...he does not have a wide move and not the hand position of Paul Jackson video but it looks to me very relaxed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2YsH3RpQak

OK?

This post has been edited by Tom51: Jun 9 2017, 09:40 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 9 2017, 06:18 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom,

yeah, getting a looper is a good idea. I have one and it's pure fun. Also, it's really helpful for practising since you can create your own backing for improvisation, scale practice and everything else. I recommend getting one. Boss and Tc electronics have good ones.

About the rhythm video, yes, that guitarist's technique is groovy and effective. It's ok to try to emulate his movement if you like the feel and groove he gets.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Jun 11 2017, 07:03 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 26 2017, 05:02 PM) *

Hi Gab,
Two weeks with 10min per day and lesson later are the videos of one part each. I really enjoyed playing something different.

About theory: I understood the spoken video from Chris about 10ths so maybe I should choose a key an play a chord progression in 10ths to apply this?
The Cminor lesson from Javier: not sure what I should get from theory here, is it to see how he follows the chords and which notes he likes to stay longer at?

https://youtu.be/HYJPj4xUdro

https://youtu.be/8FxiZmH_6Ws
(I chose a tone so that you can better hear me as the backing track already contains the playing)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 12 2017, 12:32 AM
Instructor
Hi Tom, good job!

About the theory, you're on track. There is always something to learn from a lesson. It can be be a chord progression, a scale, the note choices, the arrangement. In this case, applying 10th to other progressions and tonalities is a great idea. The other lesson is a solo lesson so getting the approach used for the note choices is a good plan. Then, you could improvise by your own using similar ideas over the same backing track.

Your playing sounds good on the 10ths lesson, but there is more room to improve timing and dynamics on the solo lesson. Please practice a bit over the original lesson to adjust timing and to get the dynamics work done by Javier. I would also adjust the tone for the solo lesson, since yours is too clean compared to the lesson.

I think that the "C minor soul blues" is in a style similar to the one that you want to learn so this lesson is a great choice.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Jun 12 2017, 07:51 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 11 2017, 11:32 PM) *
About the theory, you're on track. There is always something to learn from a lesson. It can be be a chord progression, a scale, the note choices, the arrangement. In this case, applying 10th to other progressions and tonalities is a great idea. The other lesson is a solo lesson so getting the approach used for the note choices is a good plan. Then, you could improvise by your own using similar ideas over the same backing track.

Your playing sounds good on the 10ths lesson, but there is more room to improve timing and dynamics on the solo lesson. Please practice a bit over the original lesson to adjust timing and to get the dynamics work done by Javier. I would also adjust the tone for the solo lesson, since yours is too clean compared to the lesson.

I think that the "C minor soul blues" is in a style similar to the one that you want to learn so this lesson is a great choice.

Great - I will put some more time into the theory part here of both lessons.
Yes, Javiers part does not sound good yet. It is still a too fast for me but I had no slowdowner for the backing track on my PC. I should play at around 80% speed currently. Will also work on tone - Javier confused me a bit when he wrote "I used a Red George Benson Ibanez with a clean sound" . in the lesson.

Rhythm hand is getting a lot better since I put more attention into this. If workload permits I will record one video next days to have you check this and see if I do right.

TC dito looper ordered - I am sure when I got it it will take quite some practice to get the timing tight. (on/off at the right moment)

Thank you Gab!

This post has been edited by Tom51: Jun 12 2017, 07:51 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 12 2017, 01:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tom51 @ Jun 12 2017, 03:51 AM) *
Great - I will put some more time into the theory part here of both lessons.
Yes, Javiers part does not sound good yet. It is still a too fast for me but I had no slowdowner for the backing track on my PC. I should play at around 80% speed currently. Will also work on tone - Javier confused me a bit when he wrote "I used a Red George Benson Ibanez with a clean sound" . in the lesson.

Rhythm hand is getting a lot better since I put more attention into this. If workload permits I will record one video next days to have you check this and see if I do right.

TC dito looper ordered - I am sure when I got it it will take quite some practice to get the timing tight. (on/off at the right moment)

Thank you Gab!

Cool! Congrats on the new pedal! and all this great work mate. Keep on this great energy. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Jun 18 2017, 06:58 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab,
TC looper arrived and I spend some minutes each day to learn how to use it. Its a bit tricky at the beginning. But that makes sense not only for improvising also for any type of scale and chord learning. I do not understand why it took me so long to get one.

Last weeks I used half of my practice time to improve my rhythm hand movement and here are my new videos. Spending that much time when I feel comfortable with chord changes is a really good idea.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Funky-Minor-Chords/
https://youtu.be/5EjUTiSIB5Y

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Triads_Comping/
https://youtu.be/JG_TfW6DNro

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Soul-Rhythm-Guitar/
https://youtu.be/lLV1rcd7LVY

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 19 2017, 03:06 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom, congrats on the loop pedal! It's a killer tool for practicing and creation. I've seen many creative uses of it in live situations.

I've checked the 3 rhythm videos. I can notice that this is getting better. Your rhythm playing is precise now, and there are not unwanted noises. You are doing a good job with muting and overall strumming. I still feel that your hand should be more relaxed while moving it, to get more groove and dynamics, but I feel that you are going on the right track.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

23 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:42 PM