Musician Insurance In The Uk
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 30 2008, 09:15 PM
GMC:er
Ok so I have 5 guitars that are altogether worth £5400 so I have to get insurance and right away. I want insurance specifically for guitars or musicians and it has to be insured in home, in transit, at gigs and pretty much any damage that may be caused to guitar. Please can somebody help me with this as I really need to get insured.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Mar 30 2008, 09:35 PM
Instructor
if you thing to have an insurance might be insure your hands and fingers that is the best way other wise i dont think you must have insurance for instruments

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Jamesito
Mar 30 2008, 09:38 PM
In your house the guitars will be covered under your general insurance for theft or damage via fire!!! You can extend that to accidental insurance like you can with mobile phones, which means if you drop it or something they will cover it. Again for taking it away from your house, it would be covered like a laptop computer for theft. This will probably not be that expensive but you will need proof that you locked the guitar up somewhere safe if it indeed gets stolen!!! If you are still a student of something at university, school or college, try endsleigh insurance and just explain to them what you want your insurance policy to cover. They also give 15% off for students,. but i would do some research into pricing!

Jamesito biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Jamesito: Mar 30 2008, 09:40 PM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 31 2008, 10:47 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
OC - try talking to the Musicians Union about insurance mate. The MU - from my experience - tend to have a good understanding of the insurance market and I think they also have agreed some reasonable insurance policies with some insurance companies.

Insurance (in the UK) tends generally to be expensive for musical instruments if you do anything other then leave them in a locked case in a locked room in your house 24/7. Insurance companies see musicians both as a bad risk and anywhere we go as a high risk location - both gigs and in transit. Further very few general insurance policies will really provide adequate cover for items over 1000UK Sterling - and you have the TatII etc that are easily over that bar smile.gif . Where they do they tend to hit you with excess requirements that are painful.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 31 2008, 11:29 AM
Cheers Tony. I shall check out the Musician's Union right away smile.gif

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 31 2008, 09:47 AM) *
OC - try talking to the Musicians Union about insurance mate. The MU - from my experience - tend to have a good understanding of the insurance market and I think they also have agreed some reasonable insurance policies with some insurance companies.

Insurance (in the UK) tends generally to be expensive for musical instruments if you do anything other then leave them in a locked case in a locked room in your house 24/7. Insurance companies see musicians both as a bad risk and anywhere we go as a high risk location - both gigs and in transit. Further very few general insurance policies will really provide adequate cover for items over 1000UK Sterling - and you have the TatII etc that are easily over that bar smile.gif . Where they do they tend to hit you with excess requirements that are painful.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
Tomotoms
Mar 31 2008, 11:33 AM
I use allianz, no problems with them yet, but I've never had to make a claim.
When I took out the insurance I found they were the cheapest for what they offered, I don't know if that is still the case.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Mar 31 2008, 11:49 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Terrific answer Tony! this is very true and something I looked at when we moved house recently as I`ve aquired a fair bit of gear.
As you`ve stated seperate insurance for musicians is incredibly expensive!

I was able to list up to five items items (didnt matter what the items were) that had a value of over £500 but the combined value could not exceed £5000 on my household insurance, I was of course able to add for an extra premium, fortunatly not too many items fall into that catorgory laugh.gif

Something also worth considering and enquiring into before purchasing (as this happened to my Brother), he had a PA system and a Bass amp stolen from his garage at home (amongst other things of course), he put in his claim but the PA system got kicked out by the insurance company as not "household/personal" item, the suggestion of a PA system to them meant that as a "public" address system he must be using it for business/moneymaking purposes and therefore couldnt be claimed for under that particular household policy, when he rung to appeal and protest their decision they asked what it was used for, when he told them it was for a band, that it was never used publicly and hence make no money they then proceeded to A. not believe him and B. subsequently kick out his claim for his Bass amp as it was used in conjunction with his Band and therefore also used for "moneymaking"/"public"/"business" So since then its something that we have both looked into when purchasing household insurance.

This post has been edited by Smells: Mar 31 2008, 11:49 AM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 31 2008, 12:12 PM
Allianz Musical Insurance looks great for me. I can insure instruments for 170 pound a year for all 5 and they are insured at home, in transit and at gigs and also accidental damage from friends as long as I've given them permission. Terms and Conditions look fine. Has anyone got anything about this insurance company. Any good or bad dealings?

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 31 2008, 12:13 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
General Household isn't, in my experience the way to go. I think Tomotoms above has a special Musical Instrument policy though that Aliianz do (Tomo?)...

Lots of high value and high risk items appear to be covered on a general household policy but aren't. My wife has some jewelery that were named as specific high value (over 1000UK Sterling per item) on a general policy and the small print had a condition whereby they were only insured whilst they were kept in the house and in a safe. Great, she really enjoyed all those romantic candle lit dinners in the safe whilst I went down the pub rolleyes.gif laugh.gif .

Back to instruments - separate and special musical instrument policy is a must - but watch out for the clauses.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 31 2008, 12:19 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 31 2008, 11:13 AM) *
General Household isn't, in my experience the way to go. I think Tomotoms above has a special Musical Instrument policy though that Aliianz do (Tomo?)...

Lots of high value and high risk items appear to be covered on a general household policy but aren't. My wife has some jewelery that were named as specific high value (over 1000UK Sterling per item) on a general policy and the small print had a condition whereby they were only insured whilst they were kept in the house and in a safe. Great, she really enjoyed all those romantic candle lit dinners in the safe whilst I went down the pub rolleyes.gif laugh.gif .

Back to instruments - separate and special musical instrument policy is a must - but watch out for the clauses.

Cheers,
Tony

Please could you have a look through these terms and conditions please and see if there are any dodgy clauses.

https://www.allianzmusicalinsurance.co.uk/a...olicy_Guide.pdf

I'm useless for spotting them. It seems fine to me.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Tomotoms
Mar 31 2008, 12:22 PM
Yeah, they cover damage if you're not in your house as well: www.allianzmusicalinsurance.co.uk/

They have a 'power play' policy specifically for electical instruments.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:56 PM