Getting from Beginner to 101
Scott Gentzen
Jan 18 2007, 12:53 AM
GMC:er
I'm a totally raw noob on guitar...like I haven't really ever picked up one before mid-December or so and with the holiday rush, I haven't really had much time to spend with it til the last week or so. It looks like there's plenty in the Beginners section to keep me busy for a while.

Has anyone gone from being a fresh noob, starting from the Beginner lessons here and made te crossover to the 101 section? I'm looking at the material in the two sections and it looks like a heck of a difficulty jump to me. I'm wondering if that's just because of my perspective of a 'know-nothing' guitarist (well, not completely nothing...I get Em ok. biggrin.gif )

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Steelkonsum
Jan 18 2007, 01:15 AM
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Jan 18 2007, 12:53 AM) *
I'm a totally raw noob on guitar...like I haven't really ever picked up one before mid-December or so and with the holiday rush, I haven't really had much time to spend with it til the last week or so. It looks like there's plenty in the Beginners section to keep me busy for a while.

Has anyone gone from being a fresh noob, starting from the Beginner lessons here and made te crossover to the 101 section? I'm looking at the material in the two sections and it looks like a heck of a difficulty jump to me. I'm wondering if that's just because of my perspective of a 'know-nothing' guitarist (well, not completely nothing...I get Em ok. biggrin.gif )

Wow now that has too be intimidating being absolutely green here. But don't worry just practice the beginner guitar stuff alot and then you'll beo ff for ab etter start then 95% of everyone else out there.

A personal tip is to head over to www.freelicks.net and learn a bunch of the licks, riffs ans songs there (also taught by Kris) too make it more fun to practice then just scales and stuff.

I mean..havin' fun IS the most important thing. At least for me.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jan 18 2007, 01:49 AM
GMC:er

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Jan 18 2007, 01:58 AM
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Jan 18 2007, 01:49 AM) *
Yeah. I'm not looking to be the next big shredder or anything. I'd like to get "good" at least...to be able to pick up a guitar and jam something out when the mood strikes, play and record some of the song ideas I have rolling around in my head, etc.

Some of the Solo secion stuff looks a little rough but I know I'm not going to be there for a while. The beginner lessons are pretty good. I'm working on the Guitar Exercises lesson for now, tearing my pinkie up on pulloffs (no callous, pulling off the high E string...eesh). I've mostly been thinking of concentrating on technique stuff for now, kinda learning the language before I start to write phrases and sentences. I can see how trying to work licks in will help to make things a bit more interesting. I'm just not sure how I'm going to get from barre chords to tapping. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong order...since the lessons seem to be arranged in order of when they were made. Maybe a difficulty rating system is in order?

Speaking of working a lesson, the site shows a list of people working on a particular lesson. I don't see anything on the site that would allow one to indicate that they're working on a particular lesson. Is it automatic somehow or am I missing part of the site somehow?

Working with your pinky is excellent. I am struggling with that as well, still. But I got semi-good control over it now.

You shouldn't think of the beginner lessons in terms of difficulty. It's just different stuff that you should know more or less.

I would also recommend watching the lessons "guitar phrasing" and "how to practice guitar" as well as "how to use a metronome" as they are absolutely invaluable for every skill level

About the list, it's automatic. IF you right-click and open a lesson in a new window, update the page listing all lessons and wham, your name will appear as "user practicing this lesson".

Have fun cool.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 18 2007, 04:14 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Jan 18 2007, 02:53 AM) *

The beginner 101 section is pretty new so I doubt anyone has got through everything in there yet. But when you do - you should not have any problems start picking stuff from the more advanced lessons. Looking forward to tracking your progress. smile.gif

Kris

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:54 AM