2 Pages V   1 2 >  
What Pickups Should I Get?, I play hard rock/metal
thefireball
May 23 2010, 08:51 PM
Learning Roadie
I would like to get new pickups for my Ibanezes. My IJX 121 pickups buzz really bad. It was a cheap guitar that came in a jumpstart kit. But it's a great guitar and is designed for metal. I'm thinking active pickups are the best, but what brand?

Also my RG 350 DX has pickups that aren't that good: Infinity. Both of these Ibanezes have the factory pickups. What would get me a good sound for hard rock and metal for both of these guitars?

What do you recommend? Is there an online place I can compare the sounds of different pickups?

I appreciate any help you can provide. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
May 23 2010, 10:18 PM
Learning Roadie
Put EMGs in one just for plain Metal ( or EMG X ) and on the other try the Dimazio X2N on the brigde .. and a paf pro on the neck ... or maybe a set of evolutions (ihave one on the neck and another on the bridge on my ibanez , and i catually made some sound samples check them out here : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...c=34478&hl= )

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: May 23 2010, 10:32 PM

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 23 2010, 11:15 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (ruben_mcn @ May 23 2010, 04:18 PM) *
Put EMGs in one just for plain Metal ( or EMG X ) and on the other try the Dimazio X2N on the brigde .. and a paf pro on the neck ... or maybe a set of evolutions (ihave one on the neck and another on the bridge on my ibanez , and i catually made some sound samples check them out here : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...c=34478&hl= )

Cool! I'm glad you had made these samples! Thanks! What a coinicidence! I'll keep these in mind.

Sounded like you had 5 switch (and from the looks of the samples, when you split the coils)

Was that a single coil in with two humbuckers like my white guitar?

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 23 2010, 11:49 PM
Learning Tone Master
my vote is for non -active
imo- this brings in additional problems- such as
if all guitars don't have the same pick-up , this can bring numerous feedback noises- live
your battery can go out in the middle of a gig and more
if these are not issues with your situation then active would be fine

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
May 24 2010, 12:11 AM
Learning Roadie
Yh mine has 2 humbuckers and a single coil just like yours .. it has a 5 switch and splits the hums into singlecoils and combines them w/ the middle pickup in positions 2 and 4 .. ( btw: the midlle is just a stock Dimarzio/ibz single coil ) I think that these too evolutions sound nice .. I just don´t like the sound of the neck pick up W/ distortion cause too me it sounds a bit "clossed" (too bassy ).. but If you like the demos go for it .. (I bealive You can do both hardrock and Metal W/ them .. )

Also a major improvment i noticed after putting this pickups was that the sustain was a lot better ...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 24 2010, 02:09 AM
Instructor
You can compare pickup sounds on Seymor Duncan's site.
http://dev.seymourduncan.com/support/audio...humbuckers_and/

not sure about other sites. These samples are not exactly a precise reference, who knows how they will sound in your guitar. Try to read a bit about the pickups, if you spend some time researching, you can effectively narrow down the choice to 2-3 pickups.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 24 2010, 03:09 AM
Learning Tone Master
For the Cheap starterkit Ibanez: EMG 81 Bridge and 85 Neck

The active EMGs will drasticly improve the sound of your cheapo Ibanez as they are not as dependend on good wood as passive pickups are! Also the EMGs have almost NO Feedback and NO Noise - They are the standard pickups in Metal and are played from almost anybody from Metallica to Machine Head. I think every guitarist should have at least on guitar equipped with EMG pickups as they give out a very unique sound of their own that can't be copied...

The 81 is a killer Bridge pickup: Tight, heavy and great cutting lead sounds. The 85 in the neck is great for highgain solo runs and works good for clean with a rolled back volume knob too!

For the RG 350 DX: A Dimarzio Evolution Set

The Evolution set is Steve Vais signature pickup set and it works really well in a basswood RG as they were built to be used in an RG!
The whole set is very versatile and can cover nearly every genre! The bridge is great for Rock and Metal, the Neck is awesome for solos and bluesy stuff and the single coil can do clean and Jazz stuff.

Don't let Steves Name fool you, those are not just Shred pickups - they are excellent Metal and Rock pickups (Hammerfall or Dragonforce use them for example) and they just sound great in the Ibanez RGs. I had this set in my RG550 before I sold the guitar (I miss it sometimes -.-)

Just my 2 cents but do you really want to spend 150-200$ for pickups on your IJX 121? It doesn't make much sense to put in pickups that are almost as expensive as the whole guitar...
Sure it will improve the sound a bit but it won't make a cheap guitar sound like a 1000$ guitar - you might want to save that money and invest it in a new, more expensive guitar.

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: May 24 2010, 03:12 AM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 24 2010, 03:28 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 23 2010, 05:49 PM) *
my vote is for non -active
imo- this brings in additional problems- such as
if all guitars don't have the same pick-up , this can bring numerous feedback noises- live
your battery can go out in the middle of a gig and more
if these are not issues with your situation then active would be fine

okay, i'll keep that in mind. I don't currently play live right now though. thanks! smile.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 23 2010, 08:09 PM) *
You can compare pickup sounds on Seymor Duncan's site.
http://dev.seymourduncan.com/support/audio...humbuckers_and/

not sure about other sites. These samples are not exactly a precise reference, who knows how they will sound in your guitar. Try to read a bit about the pickups, if you spend some time researching, you can effectively narrow down the choice to 2-3 pickups.

Thanks Ivan! I'll check this out! smile.gif

Just my 2 cents but do you really want to spend 150-200$ for pickups on your IJX 121? It doesn't make much sense to put in pickups that are almost as expensive as the whole guitar...
Sure it will improve the sound a bit but it won't make a cheap guitar sound like a 1000$ guitar - you might want to save that money and invest it in a new, more expensive guitar.

I see what you mean, but that guitar holds a special place in my heart. It was my first guitar. I'm a sentimental guy. wink.gif But I will certainly keep it in mind. smile.gif

Yeah, a lot of what you guys are saying is what other people I've asked recommend.

My Jackson SLSMG has 81/85 EMGs. Does this mean the way it sounds on the Jackson is the way it would sound in one of my Ibanezes? My Ibanezes seemingly have their unique sound. I try to riff metal on my Jackson, but it doesn't sound like my Ibanezes. Even my cheap Ibanez sounds better, as far as the tone, than the Jackson.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 24 2010, 04:06 AM
Learning Tone Master
The guitar will change it's sound with a pickup change (that's the whole point of it^^)
Your Ibanez won't sound like the Jackson SLSMG just because they will have the same pickups in them but they will share certain characterisitics in tone, output and picking response. Maybe you don't like the active pickups at all because the Jackson should sound a LOT better than your Ibanez starterkit guitar.

A Seymour Duncan Sh-6(more mids) or sh-8 (more bass) bridge and Sh-1 Neck should get you a serious Metal tone in your Ibanez and keep more of it's original tone.

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 24 2010, 03:47 PM
GMC:er
A good place to start is the EMG 81/85 combo. There is a KERRY KING version that adds and additional switchable pre-amp toggle. That's what I put in my Minarik Lotus. I LOVE it. Also, the new Seymour Duncan "Blackout" Pickups are tuned just for Metal and are active like the EMG's. Basically they are a EMG's that sound more like Seymour Duncans smile.gif Here is a pick of my Lotus with EMG's installed.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 24 2010, 07:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 23 2010, 09:09 PM) *
For the Cheap starterkit Ibanez: EMG 81 Bridge and 85 Neck

The active EMGs will drasticly improve the sound of your cheapo Ibanez as they are not as dependend on good wood as passive pickups are! Also the EMGs have almost NO Feedback and NO Noise - They are the standard pickups in Metal and are played from almost anybody from Metallica to Machine Head. I think every guitarist should have at least on guitar equipped with EMG pickups as they give out a very unique sound of their own that can't be copied...

The 81 is a killer Bridge pickup: Tight, heavy and great cutting lead sounds. The 85 in the neck is great for highgain solo runs and works good for clean with a rolled back volume knob too!

For the RG 350 DX: A Dimarzio Evolution Set

The Evolution set is Steve Vais signature pickup set and it works really well in a basswood RG as they were built to be used in an RG!
The whole set is very versatile and can cover nearly every genre! The bridge is great for Rock and Metal, the Neck is awesome for solos and bluesy stuff and the single coil can do clean and Jazz stuff.

Don't let Steves Name fool you, those are not just Shred pickups - they are excellent Metal and Rock pickups (Hammerfall or Dragonforce use them for example) and they just sound great in the Ibanez RGs. I had this set in my RG550 before I sold the guitar (I miss it sometimes -.-)

pretty much agree 100%, EMG and Dimarzio, both are great reference kits.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 24 2010, 09:05 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ May 24 2010, 11:14 AM) *
pretty much agree 100%, EMG and Dimarzio, both are great reference kits.

I've been looking at the evo 2's myself. I was listening to the sound bytes offered on the Dimarzio site, and the evo2's sound a little better to my ear than the original ones. I'm not keen on battery powered pickups. Just seems like too much maintenance for too little gain in sound smile.gif

But that's just my own personal taste.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 24 2010, 10:36 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 23 2010, 10:06 PM) *
The guitar will change it's sound with a pickup change (that's the whole point of it^^)
Your Ibanez won't sound like the Jackson SLSMG just because they will have the same pickups in them but they will share certain characterisitics in tone, output and picking response. Maybe you don't like the active pickups at all because the Jackson should sound a LOT better than your Ibanez starterkit guitar.

A Seymour Duncan Sh-6(more mids) or sh-8 (more bass) bridge and Sh-1 Neck should get you a serious Metal tone in your Ibanez and keep more of it's original tone.

well....i meant the Ibanez sounded more metal, and the Jackson sounded more mello.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 24 2010, 11:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
I won't let that Mainenance Issue with active pickups count!
The battery last for atleast 2000 hours of playing and changing the battery takes a minute at max!!!

In the 4 Years I have been playing I only had to change the batteries once!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 24 2010, 11:54 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 24 2010, 05:08 PM) *
The battery last for atleast 2000 hours of playing and changing the battery takes a minute at max!!!

Are you saying that active pickups have batteries? Only my Jackson SLSMG has a battery. My Ibanezes don't have em.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 25 2010, 12:03 AM
Learning Tone Master
The battery is what makes them active^^
A 9 Volt Block battery in the compartement powers the internal preamp of the pickup (EMG 81/85/60 or Seymour Duncan Blackout).
Passive pickups are powered through the guitar cable but with long cables and a lot of effects you get a signal loss which active pickups don't get. Active pickups are less dynamic on the other hand...

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: May 25 2010, 12:04 AM

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 25 2010, 12:14 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 24 2010, 03:08 PM) *

2000 hours of playing? R U sure about that? I was practicing with a friend who left his guitar plugged in a few times by accident, and within about a month had to change the battery. 2000/24 = ~80 days, and I'm sure I didn't lose track of that many days! But yeah, I'm sure they're easy to change, but dang it if I aint a lazy bum! ^.^

-- edit --
Well I just checked some forums and some people are claiming years w/o a battery change - I guess if you can stand taking a minute out of your time to change a battery that aint too bad. Think they have solar-powered models? haha. You could put a solar panel on your head for outdoor events and hook up to extend your play time wink.gif

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: May 25 2010, 12:20 AM

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 25 2010, 12:21 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ May 24 2010, 06:14 PM) *
2000 hours of playing? R U sure about that? I was practicing with a friend who left his guitar plugged in a few times by accident, and within about a month had to change the battery. 2000/24 = ~80 days, and I'm sure I didn't lose track of that many days! But yeah, I'm sure they're easy to change, but dang it if I aint a lazy bum! ^.^

-- edit --
Well I just checked some forums and some people are claiming years w/o a battery change - I guess if you can stand taking a minute out of your time to change a battery that aint too bad. Think they have solar-powered models? haha. You could put a solar panel on your head for outdoor events and hook up to extend your play time wink.gif

well i don't see what leaving your guitar plugged in would do when your system is all off? huh.gif

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 25 2010, 12:23 AM
Learning Tone Master
The battery is draining as long as the guitar cable is plugged in, regardless of the amp being on. Just unplug your guitar if you don't play it

EMG say that with a high quality 9v battery their pickups will last 2000 hours...
One month still makes 24hx30d=720 Hours. And your friend might have already played with that battery for some months or weeks...
And it might have also been a cheap battery.

I can say that even with a lot of playing, you won't have to change the battery more than once a year!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: May 25 2010, 12:24 AM

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 25 2010, 02:36 AM
Instructor
i didn't knew they last SO much, cool!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:31 PM