Floyd tuning. help please., 2 seconds away from suicide.
Steelkonsum
Feb 2 2007, 07:15 PM
Okay, so last night my guitar said "knnrnrr" and my floyd rose was broken, sort of. So I turned it in today and got it back all fixed and good..

Except, I cant tune it!

Now before you go replying "loose the screws" and earn yourself a shot in the head lemme explain, I loosen the screws at the end of the neck so I can tune it, when Im done tuning one string I go to the next in orderly fashion.

When Ive tuned all strings and check the tuning at the first it has dropped a HOLE FKIN STEP! And this is regardless how many times I do it. Ive tried tuning it, locking it after each two strings but alas to no help.

As soon as Ive tuned the high e-string and check my previously well-tuned low e, its dropped down to D.. and my A is something like Cb etc. etc.

Ive been tuning it for 30 minutes now trying to get something remotely decent sounding but to no prevail.

Help me please. sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 2 2007, 07:31 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Tighten the screws! ;-)

And I don't mean the fine tuning screws but the screws inside attached to the body that holds the springs that holds the bridge. Don't know the english words for them... not the swedish either :-)
You have to unscrew the lid on the back of the guitar, look for two screws that are screwed into the body. Tighten them one quarter ot a half turn.

BUT... First off. Did they put new strings on? They will stretch and your guitar will go out of tune the entire time until you have stretched them.

What exactly did break and why? I'm curious since I have te exact same model.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MickeM: Feb 2 2007, 07:34 PM

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Feb 2 2007, 07:34 PM
GMC:er
That's just what Floyd Roses do, they're a pile of shit. (Edit -- Actually that's not true, but they're a pain in the ass!)

The floating bridge is held in place by the tension of the strings so when you twist one machine head to tune it changes the tension on the bridge which changes it's position thus changing the tuning of all your strings.

This post has been edited by Zee Deveel: Feb 2 2007, 07:35 PM

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Feb 2 2007, 07:58 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 2 2007, 07:31 PM) *
Tighten the screws! ;-)

And I don't mean the fine tuning screws but the screws inside attached to the body that holds the springs that holds the bridge. Don't know the english words for them... not the swedish either :-)
You have to unscrew the lid on the back of the guitar, look for two screws that are screwed into the body. Tighten them one quarter ot a half turn.

BUT... First off. Did they put new strings on? They will stretch and your guitar will go out of tune the entire time until you have stretched them.
What exactly did break and why? I'm curious since I have te exact same model.

I think they only changed one string that I had snapped.

If you look at your bridge you will se metal bars going from the things holding your strings to the fine tuners, one the bars had popped.

This is extremly annoying tbh, I had heard some bad things about floyd earlier but I thought it was just the general whine squad. Don't know how comfortable I am tighetning things inside the guitar tbh.

Thanks for the replies though.

+Quote Post
Hrvoje
Feb 2 2007, 08:41 PM
Bass Instructor
I think I can help you, but, because i don't know the exact situation you have there, i'll start from beginning.

1. Loose the locking nut,
2. loose the strings on the machine heads a bit, not to much so the strings don't wrap off the machine heads.
3. Set all the fine tuning screws at half way, dont loose them too much or dont tighten too much, half way!
4. Open a back side of your guitar, not the electronics cavity wink.gif! Inside you'll see two screws on which is mounted small metal that holds springs, screws are "screwd" to your guitar body-wood (you should have 3 springs inside!) DONT TOUCH THEM FOR NOW! wink.gif
5. Use the Floyd Rose arm to loosen your strings even more, and put something like your wallet, piece of plastic, or something that fits into hole under bridge, that should block the tremolo!
6. Now tune your guitar at machine head! YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO!
7. Now lock the strings at nut.
8. Lift your floyd with arm and remove that thing you've put under bridge into hole.
9. Gently turn back floyd in position!
10. Your floyd rose bridge should be parallel with body, not raised od lowered.
unlock nut!
a)If it's raised use your screwdriver and tighten the screws (look at 4.) a bit, then tune your guitar few times
until you succes to keep tuning, if floyd still is raised tighten screws even more, and repeat tuning,
cool.gif If floyd is lowered you shoul untighten those screws (look at 4.) and than tune your guitar until bridge become parallel with guitar body.
11. tune your guitar few times, it's normal to detune, so do it over and over again!
12. tune it again and again, and again.
13. Ok it's tuned now. tighten nut lock, check tuning, fine tune
14. Go to store and buy hardtail strat.
15. Enjoy yourself

I hope i helped wink.gif

--------------------
..my life is falling to pieces, somebody put me together..
-Faith no more-

+Quote Post
chainsbroken
Feb 3 2007, 04:30 AM
I also have a flode rose (charvel). I found this site very helpful in setting mine up.
I was able to do it in about 1 hour and a half and it turned out perfect....

http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html

This post has been edited by chainsbroken: Feb 3 2007, 04:35 AM

--------------------
Deano

+Quote Post
crabman
Feb 3 2007, 08:33 AM
QUOTE (chainsbroken @ Feb 2 2007, 07:30 PM) *
I also have a flode rose (charvel). I found this site very helpful in setting mine up.
I was able to do it in about 1 hour and a half and it turned out perfect....
http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html

Nice post "chains". This link cut about a half hour off my string change time biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
chainsbroken
Feb 3 2007, 08:01 PM
Glad it helped. smile.gif

--------------------
Deano

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Feb 13 2007, 10:48 PM
just keep tuning it for ages until it stops gettin outta tune, it goes less outta tune every time

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:54 AM