Behringer Mic100 Tube Preamp Question?
Ni6htWalker
Nov 9 2015, 04:01 AM
GMC:er
hey man how do you connect the Behringer MIC100 tube preamp to your audio card?you connect your guitar to the Behringer MIC100 tube preamp?thanks in advance.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 9 2015, 04:25 AM
Guitar to Preamp with guitar jack, then output to your interface/audio card. smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Ni6htWalker @ Nov 8 2015, 11:01 PM) *
hey man how do you connect the Behringer MIC100 tube preamp to your audio card?you connect your guitar to the Behringer MIC100 tube preamp?thanks in advance.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ni6htWalker
Nov 9 2015, 04:57 AM
output to the mic input of my audio card right?thank for the fast reply Todd smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ni6htWalker: Nov 9 2015, 05:01 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 9 2015, 01:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ni6htWalker @ Nov 9 2015, 12:57 AM) *
output to the mic input of my audio card right?thank for the fast reply Todd smile.gif

no, to the line input of your audio card. You mic input also has a pre amp so you would using two preamps in your chain.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ni6htWalker
Nov 9 2015, 09:22 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 9 2015, 12:44 PM) *
no, to the line input of your audio card. You mic input also has a pre amp so you would using two preamps in your chain.

ahh ok,i was thinking to buy the Eleven Rack but after i watched some videos from Darius Wave where he is using some amp sims,get me thinking if is a good idea to buy the Eleven Rack.

Gabriel Leopardi the Behringer Mic100 Tube Preamp is a good mic preamp or a can get a better one not too expensive.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 10 2015, 05:57 AM
I have an 11 Rack and I'd say buy one smile.gif It's one of the best sounding units I"ve ever had. It connects to your computer via USB and can record several channels at once including a clean version of what you are playing so that you can add plugins like amplitude later if you like in addition to the recorded 11 rack tone. I LOVE my 11 rack. It's got an xlr mic input with preamp on the front so you can record vocals or mic a guitar amp while going direct at the same time. It's just a killer unit smile.gif

Gabe is SPOT ON about not going through two mic preamps. Are you running in to your pc internal sound card? You may want to invest in a real audio interface. The 11 rack can serve as your audio interface and guitar processor so it's handy smile.gif They are quite cheap now. I got mine for $300.

my tube preamp that I bought to use in the fx loop of the 11 rack actually cost more than the 11 rack smile.gif

Here is vid just 11 rack recorded direct via usb

Todd

QUOTE (Ni6htWalker @ Nov 9 2015, 04:22 PM) *
ahh ok,i was thinking to buy the Eleven Rack but after i watched some videos from Darius Wave where he is using some amp sims,get me thinking if is a good idea to buy the Eleven Rack.

Gabriel Leopardi the Behringer Mic100 Tube Preamp is a good mic preamp or a can get a better one not too expensive.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 10 2015, 08:48 AM
Instructor
Hey man! Nice to hear you got partly inspired on my gear set-up wink.gif Let me clear some things so you would avoid unnecessary expenses.

You do not necessary need external preamp if your audio interface has a High-Z (high impedance instrumental input). Tube preamp (this particular does not affect the tone so much, that you would hear radical difference.

I had few very silly reasons for using it:

1. My interface does not have input gain knobs so it was more comfortable for me to adjust it with external preamp than opening virtual interface panel (mixer) to set it up every time I've needed just a little tweaking.
2. My interface has 2 preamped channles (instrument line/mic) and 2 line in (low-z) inputs with no preamps. Using Behringer I can record additional microphone by plugging it into MIC100 and then to the channel 3 or 4 (line in) in my interface
3. Some guitars with active pickups had problems to sound properly while plugged directly to audio interface. For example my Schecter Demon has unpleasant digital distortion even if the level itself was not showing any clipping. That was weird but I could get rid of it using MIC100 and it's -20dB padswitch .

Doing some test I found that MIC100 does not affect the tone in the wrong way (frequency cut off or noise) and whatever people to writte and think about behringer as a brand, they still have some very affordable and well working products (another one is famous FCB1010 midi controller)

So it's worth to rethink if you really need it. It's not a kind of preamp that "colorize" the tone but it will gove you even more control on input signal, direct access to gain settings and a usefull feature - limiter (wouldn't let you exceed 0dB level - od course you need to properly match input gain of line in channel of your interface as well smile.gif

That's prety much. I hope it made some clearance smile.gif All best!

+Quote Post
Ni6htWalker
Nov 10 2015, 09:35 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 10 2015, 04:57 AM) *
I have an 11 Rack and I'd say buy one smile.gif It's one of the best sounding units I"ve ever had. It connects to your computer via USB and can record several channels at once including a clean version of what you are playing so that you can add plugins like amplitude later if you like in addition to the recorded 11 rack tone. I LOVE my 11 rack. It's got an xlr mic input with preamp on the front so you can record vocals or mic a guitar amp while going direct at the same time. It's just a killer unit smile.gif

Gabe is SPOT ON about not going through two mic preamps. Are you running in to your pc internal sound card? You may want to invest in a real audio interface. The 11 rack can serve as your audio interface and guitar processor so it's handy smile.gif They are quite cheap now. I got mine for $300.

my tube preamp that I bought to use in the fx loop of the 11 rack actually cost more than the 11 rack smile.gif

Here is vid just 11 rack recorded direct via usb

Todd

i have a Toneport UX1 audio card,yeah man i think i will buy the Eleven Rack pretty soon,cool video man.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 10 2015, 07:48 AM) *
Hey man! Nice to hear you got partly inspired on my gear set-up wink.gif Let me clear some things so you would avoid unnecessary expenses.

You do not necessary need external preamp if your audio interface has a High-Z (high impedance instrumental input). Tube preamp (this particular does not affect the tone so much, that you would hear radical difference.

I had few very silly reasons for using it:

1. My interface does not have input gain knobs so it was more comfortable for me to adjust it with external preamp than opening virtual interface panel (mixer) to set it up every time I've needed just a little tweaking.
2. My interface has 2 preamped channles (instrument line/mic) and 2 line in (low-z) inputs with no preamps. Using Behringer I can record additional microphone by plugging it into MIC100 and then to the channel 3 or 4 (line in) in my interface
3. Some guitars with active pickups had problems to sound properly while plugged directly to audio interface. For example my Schecter Demon has unpleasant digital distortion even if the level itself was not showing any clipping. That was weird but I could get rid of it using MIC100 and it's -20dB padswitch .

Doing some test I found that MIC100 does not affect the tone in the wrong way (frequency cut off or noise) and whatever people to writte and think about behringer as a brand, they still have some very affordable and well working products (another one is famous FCB1010 midi controller)

So it's worth to rethink if you really need it. It's not a kind of preamp that "colorize" the tone but it will gove you even more control on input signal, direct access to gain settings and a usefull feature - limiter (wouldn't let you exceed 0dB level - od course you need to properly match input gain of line in channel of your interface as well smile.gif

That's prety much. I hope it made some clearance smile.gif All best!

thank you Darius Wave i was going to buy the Behringer Mic100 Tube Preamp just now in ebay,i save some bucks thanks to you,the reason i wanted to buy the Behringer Mic100 Tube Preamp was because i tought the Behringer Tube Preamp helps to get a more warm sound from my guitar but i see you use the Behringer Mic100 Tube Preamp for another reason,thank you man.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 10 2015, 02:14 PM
Instructor
You welcome. Tube Preamp will most likely affect the tone being used to amplify the signal of microphone in front of the cabinet. I does not have such an effect if being used in front of guitar amplifier or it's virtual substitute smile.gif

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Nov 10 2015, 02:15 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 11 2015, 06:52 PM
The toneport is a great way to get started in recording. If you have anything like a tube screamer or any overdrive pedal, you can put it in front of the Ux1 guitar>overdrive>ux1 and turn the gain down and volume up to use it as a clean boost/preamp. I mention this as most folks have an old tube screamer clone laying about somewhere it seems smile.gif This will drive the guitar plugin harder and give you a bit better gain on input.

As for the 11 rack, they just keep getting cheaper. Saw one for $250 which is just a killer price for a recording interface/guitar processor/etc.

Todd

QUOTE (Ni6htWalker @ Nov 10 2015, 04:35 AM) *
i have a Toneport UX1 audio card,yeah man i think i will buy the Eleven Rack pretty soon,cool video man.

thank you Darius Wave i was going to buy the Behringer Mic100 Tube Preamp just now in ebay,i save some bucks thanks to you,the reason i wanted to buy the Behringer Mic100 Tube Preamp was because i tought the Behringer Tube Preamp helps to get a more warm sound from my guitar but i see you use the Behringer Mic100 Tube Preamp for another reason,thank you man.

+Quote Post
Ni6htWalker
Nov 12 2015, 07:54 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 11 2015, 05:52 PM) *
The toneport is a great way to get started in recording. If you have anything like a tube screamer or any overdrive pedal, you can put it in front of the Ux1 guitar>overdrive>ux1 and turn the gain down and volume up to use it as a clean boost/preamp. I mention this as most folks have an old tube screamer clone laying about somewhere it seems smile.gif This will drive the guitar plugin harder and give you a bit better gain on input.

As for the 11 rack, they just keep getting cheaper. Saw one for $250 which is just a killer price for a recording interface/guitar processor/etc.

Todd

yeah i read somewhere about using a overdrive pedal i havent try it yet,one question for the 11 Rack,when you record your guitar you can hear the guitar effects in real time from the 11 rack?

This post has been edited by Ni6htWalker: Nov 12 2015, 07:54 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd April 2024 - 08:34 AM