When You Don't Know Where To Head To, What Do You Do?
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 21 2011, 08:24 PM
GMC:er
it's been 3 weeks since i stop havin' guitar class with my teacher...and now i am kind of lost i don't know what to do to reach that X place or what path to follow, did you ever felt like this and if you did what have you dont to surpass this?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 21 2011, 09:38 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm that way a lot. I don't push myself to practice much.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 21 2011, 09:54 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Apr 21 2011, 09:24 PM) *
it's been 3 weeks since i stop havin' guitar class with my teacher...and now i am kind of lost i don't know what to do to reach that X place or what path to follow, did you ever felt like this and if you did what have you dont to surpass this?

Happened to everyone!

What you do now is :

- Write down your near future goals. Select one thing/topic you'd like to practice (bending, vibrato, improvisation, theory etc)
- Find lessons/exercises (on GMC?) which cover those topics
- Make a practice plan and start working on the lessons towards your near future goals
- After few weeks review where you are and make changes to routine if its needed
- Try using a metronome while practicing and also keep a video or written log of your playing

Idea is to choose a near future goal - for example : be able to play alternate picking licks on 120 bpm in 16th notes.

Something that is within your reach. That way you will always know where you are going and feel the progress.

Hope this helps smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 21 2011, 10:31 PM
Bogdan is right. It does happen to everyone. Even "Mr PRACTICE!" me. I could never find a teacher that I could work with when I was starting out so I kinda had to wing it. What worked for me was following the music, not the guitar. Whatever music I found myself drawn to, I learned to play by ear. So when I listed to music, I was practicing. I seldom did one without the other. I love music, so I did that a TON.

Maybe try that? Focus on the music you are really into. Try to learn a bunch by ear. Next thing you know you'll know a ton of songs/solos and have trained the heck out of your ear smile.gif

A good ear is CRUCIAL to be able to "jam". As in "Hey you! Yeah, lead guitar guy, the riff is in A harmonic minor, solo, GO!"

Todd

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 22 2011, 02:57 AM
really wanna a hit on theory! that's my weakness! <--that's my main goal "in general" right now"

->wanna learn scales, chords, why are these chords there and there what to play over that, recogniz' them by ear.
-> got the "goals", now what would be my first step learning chords? scales? listen to million of millions chords till i can recognize them?

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 22 2011, 10:41 AM
Instructor
Great advice from Bogdan and Todd.. I must say I'm the same as Todd in finding my inspiration from the music itself, rather than the guitar. That's how I taught myself for years, by learning what I could by ear and trying to figure out increasingly difficult songs smile.gif

In moments like this, we just need one small spark of inspiration, then it sets us back off again, possibly in a slightly different direction.. but the important thing is that we're still moving forward smile.gif

Chords is a good one to learn. I'm quite weak at that myself so would be interested to know how the other guys have taught themselves chord theory smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Apr 22 2011, 10:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Apr 22 2011, 03:57 AM) *
really wanna a hit on theory! that's my weakness! <--that's my main goal "in general" right now"

->wanna learn scales, chords, why are these chords there and there what to play over that, recogniz' them by ear.
-> got the "goals", now what would be my first step learning chords? scales? listen to million of millions chords till i can recognize them?

If you have a friend who can play piano or guitar, you can do some exercise with him, without watching his hands while is playing of course.
You can start with intervals in different keys, trying to recognize them. This is a good start to train the relative pitch. Then move to some simple chords like basic minor and major triads. Then you can add diminished, augmented and sus triads.
Same about the scales. Start with major and natural minor scales and then add one mode at time to recognize between the others.
There are also some softwares around to help your ear training but in my experience it's a lot more fun to train with other people.

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Apr 22 2011, 12:22 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yeah, like Jerry said, for your ear training you can start with interval recognition and move to chords afterwards.
When it comes to learning your scales and chords... just go and learn it. Learn a couple new chords every day, all through the neck. And do it by finding them yourself, not using a book or anything like that.
I assume you know how to create chords from scales, so all you need to do is know what notes you want, and find them on your neck. Thus you'll also quickly learn your caged, and more, shapes smile.gif

Most important thing is always taking songs, riffs and melodies by ear. It is also very motivational smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Apr 22 2011, 12:25 PM

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 22 2011, 01:33 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I've been there, all got solved when I realized what my main goal is: play my favourite songs!
So now all I do is learn new songs, try not to forget the ones I've learnt, and when I find some difficult song I can't play, I look into it's technique and try to learn it with exercises. This last step is the hardest, and so far I've mnostly learnt songs I can play with basic riffs and chords, no sweeping or high speed AP, complex tapping etc.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 24 2011, 07:43 PM
Instructor
Perhaps it's time for some theory? What is the last thing you worked on with your teacher?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
May 10 2011, 12:48 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Apr 24 2011, 07:43 PM) *
Perhaps it's time for some theory? What is the last thing you worked on with your teacher?

ty all

well infact my last teacher wasn't much a theory teacher, he was a great guy increased my skill alot with him, but my theory its like not so there.

and sollesnes, yep i know i think i will start working on that as soon as my exams are over

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:46 PM