Has Anyone Here Played In A Church Before ?, need advice
Harris Sopovic
Jun 2 2008, 06:28 PM
Instructor
Ok, so my friend is getting married on june 12th. He asked me to play the bride marsch in a heavy metal way instead of the traditional one. Then as an outro when they are walking back from the priest im going to play the solo from November rain (guns & roses). So heres the deal. Ive never been at a wedding before & neither have i ever played in a church haha.
So the question is: Is it better to line a pod xt into the church speakers or setup a marshall stack ?.
Any advice at all would be good, thank you smile.gif

*edit* something maybe worth mentioning is that its a large church with 120 people comming. Ive played gigs before with 5 times as many people then that. But this makes me a bit more nervous ^^

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Harris Sopovic: Jun 2 2008, 06:31 PM

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 2 2008, 06:31 PM
Learning Tone Master
You have to ask the priest if you can try it out a couple of days before the wedding and you'll find out what will sound best. I would think the Marshall stack will do the job because of the acoustics inside the church/chapel but maybe it will sound weird with all the echoes and you'll need the pod+speakers. It depends on where you stand with your stack so you'll have to try both and compare.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Jun 2 2008, 06:32 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Bucket86
Jun 2 2008, 06:37 PM
GMC:er
It would just depend on how the churh is wired, you should prolly try out both before the wedding, some chuches have sophistaced sound systems and some have a boombox, If there wasnt an echo factor i would predict the marshall would be best.

+Quote Post
Bluesrock
Jun 2 2008, 06:42 PM
If you set it up right you could get a really cool effect out of the echo

+Quote Post
Harris Sopovic
Jun 2 2008, 07:31 PM
Instructor
Yeah i guess you guys are right. But problem with the marshall stack is that i have to have high volume to be able to cover the whole church, so the risk of getting bad noice is pretty high i think.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
Jun 12 2008, 09:06 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
I remember when I played a friends wedding the church speakers where not equipped to handle what we were doing. I think best advice is go there as soon as you can to weigh out the options. Maybe sound check the room and either mic the cab through the house if there is an eq....I am sure if you have the stack on hand you will be able to figure out the best approach.

Best of luck

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 12 2008, 11:00 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I never played in a church , and heavy metal on a marshal stack in church is pretty unimaginable (here where I live) smile.gif

But I would recommend going into the speakers system ...

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jun 12 2008, 11:00 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Gus
Jun 13 2008, 01:01 AM
I only played acoustic guitar in the church, but I would also recommend to go through the sound system.

Even if it is a bad one, that's what the people that go to that church are used to. Of course, talking to the priest or someone who plays usually there is a good idea.

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Canis
Jun 13 2008, 01:05 AM
Learning Rock Star
My only advice is: Don't get carried away and start singing about death, apocalypse, living dead or stuff like that laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 13 2008, 03:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Harris Sopovic @ Jun 2 2008, 07:28 PM) *
So the question is: Is it better to line a pod xt into the church speakers or setup a marshall stack ?.
Any advice at all would be good, thank you smile.gif

Hehehe that's a good one man. laugh.gif

I think you know the answer to THAT question!

MARSHALL STACK!!! biggrin.gif

Just kidding a half stack should be fine for a wedding.. wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 13 2008, 10:56 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I'm just having hard time picturing a full marshal stack on high gain in a church environment smile.gif hehehe

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:34 PM