Gramophone !
Sinisa Cekic
Jun 28 2011, 11:24 PM
Instructor
Listening to today's digital production I wish to go back to those days when just the analogy was used!
Gramophone and popular LP* ( * Long Play, not Les Paul ,hehe) ! Do you have this piece of history, or maybe your parents are still jealously keep these valuables somewhere in the attic !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 29 2011, 09:41 AM
Instructor
I've never heard a gramophone in real life... just imagine some Metallica records going through that.... laugh.gif

I do totally believe in having a proper record player though.. LP's are seriously awesome ! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 29 2011, 10:11 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Still have and regularly use a turntable. Mine is a Michell Orbe details and pic here. The Orbe is a high end HiFi turntable.

TBH we have quite a few of the same recordings both on CD and on vinyl. Vinyl when played on a good turntable kills the CD every single time: it's more musical and has more warmth.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jun 29 2011, 11:32 AM
GMC:er
I still have all my LP's and they do get played! Not as much as they once did, but I do still listen to them. As Tony said there's a warmth to vinyl that you just don't get from a digital recording. I also like the way that, if I take one of my vinyl's to someone else's house and play it on their system it will sound different to mine, even with any little scratches or imperfections!
I must confess to having quite a lot in digital format too, but mainly for space saving reasons. I even have an old Royce Deck connected to my PC!!
biggrin.gif

PS. The word 'Gramophone' always reminds me of this:-

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jun 30 2011, 09:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jun 29 2011, 11:11 AM) *
Still have and regularly use a turntable. Mine is a Michell Orbe details and pic here. The Orbe is a high end HiFi turntable.

TBH we have quite a few of the same recordings both on CD and on vinyl. Vinyl when played on a good turntable kills the CD every single time: it's more musical and has more warmth.

Wow,that's Spacecraft ,man laugh.gif !!! But you're right - vinyl is vinyl !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 3 2011, 02:20 PM
Instructor
I love vinyl! smile.gif I used to listen to Bajaga when I was a kid, and somebody got me Santana even. I also love tape players (old ones). Don't really have a turntable these days, so if I like something, I try to grab it from the web, hi-res vinyl captures, that's as far as I can go today smile.gif

I became a bit of an expert for good records, the old guy I play rock & roll with (Vlada Jet, possibly you heard of him Sinisa), has the biggest record collection in the country, we play in his house, walls covered in records and CDs, crazy. He enjoys collecting and barging for them tho, I rarely heard him play any record, keeps them brand new. Some of the very valuable records include rare & old limited editions with awesome covers/packs and beige vinyl.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gary
Jul 3 2011, 03:32 PM
GMC:er
Back when CD's first came out I remember listening to them and thinking the songs sounded so hollow and muffled in comparison to the album. Its funny how in the end we just end up adopting the new technology and forgetting about the benefits the old way offered.

My grandparents had an old RCA gramphone with the brass speaker. I wish I had that thing now - very cool antique and prolly worth a good deal of money.

Cheers!
Gary

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Jul 3 2011, 08:27 PM
Instructor
I still have a Technics MKII !
I find it's always facinating to look at the vinyl turning and producing music!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jul 3 2011, 09:51 PM
Instructor
This was my first one, when I was a kid, beautiful memories me a link to it! A little later I turned it into guitar amp !!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:57 PM