Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 10 2008, 02:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Sep 10 2008, 02:14 PM) *
I'm more of a Wii type of guy myself tongue.gif biggrin.gif

laugh.gif good point!

I like Dreamweaver, bulky and bulletproof

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 10 2008, 05:20 PM
GMC:er
I just think those HUGE program that costs a fortune are clumbsy compare to notepad++ (which I use). And I think I've done fine, any one want to argue about that tongue.gif?

<-EDIT-> I added content to the site. I also added a form which I want as many of you as possible to fill out! Check it out!

http://www.aj-pickups.com

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Oxac: Sep 10 2008, 07:38 PM

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Smurkas
Sep 10 2008, 11:39 PM
I use 1900*1220 so I'm not you're standard user resolution wise but it looks pretty bad on my screen. Since one of the menus are up all the way to the left they end up quite abit away from the rest of the content. I would seriously consider either integrating the left menu more with the rest of the design to give it a more coherent feel or putting the whole site to the left.

The top menu aligns in a strange way, it looks lite it's supposed to align with the brighter part of the picture but it doesn't so I think it looks really strange. Also you should consider making the logo in another picture format. IE 6 does not support transparency in PNG which means that the logo ends up with a white background in internet explorer. Not cool tongue.gif.

When it comes to the form I would either put each input on a separate row or align everything properly, right now it's abit of a mish mash. You should also use the frameset-tag to split the content instead of using headers and paragraph tags.

Last but definately not least, DO NOT USE FRAMES! It's bad practice and you can get excactly the same results with normal xhtml/css without any of the hideous draw backs. There's only a very few cases where frames are actually warranted and this isn't one of them. If the reason you're using frames is to cut down code repetition then you should look in to using a server side language to get you the same benefits without all the draw backs.

Sincerely, Marcus.

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 11 2008, 08:13 AM
Thanks Marcus, some really great constructive critisism here, but my knowledge of these languages of which you're talking about is very limited. I did not know about the ie < 7 not being able to view the transparency of a png file, I'll change it to GIF asap.

Also, exactly what drawbacks are you talking about?

My goal isn't to be the perfect website programmer. I just want to make a good site for my company without having to dig too deep into web-programming.

About the form, yeah, I should definitly keep everything on a separate row, looks better. I'll change it as soon as I get home. and what about the frameset tag, to split the content? Please fill me in.

Also, I'd like to know how to center the top menu, I haven't succeeded yet and I believe that if I could do it I would be able to align it to the light part where I have all of my text.

Thanks for your input. "AJ"

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 11 2008, 01:29 PM
Moderation Policy Director
<div align=center> ?

If you want to get complex, the best way to control layout and have things center automatically is to put everything in invisible tables. It can get a little involved but it is a great way to work when you get into it.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 11 2008, 01:51 PM
yeh, but I'm not into it, and I have a site that's working just fine for must users. Oh I didn't mean how to center the menu, more like a way to control the size of the buttons in percentage of the screen resolution... I've been working with this project when I'm supposed to do other things like playing guitar, having fun sleeping. So I'm a bit dull atm. I think that maybe I should just edit the picture thingy and the form and focus on the other aspects of the company for a while. Also I desperately need to rest and relax a little.

But back to the site. Right now I have the top frame, with the menu. One Iframe in the bottom frame, which is controlled by the buttons to the left. Is this a bad construction?

Right now it looks pretty good in the resolutions I've tried. Okay, it looks pretty bad in 800 x 600 but almost no one uses that anymore and it's still usable and looks ok. But I can imagine in 1900*1220. How's the best way to make it look like it looks for me now? and still make it appealing in every screen resolution (or at least more appealing)?

This post has been edited by Oxac: Sep 11 2008, 01:52 PM

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
IslandGuy
Sep 11 2008, 02:35 PM
Spelling on button: Resarch => Research

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 11 2008, 05:34 PM
ouch, typo tongue.gif

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 11 2008, 06:00 PM
Updated again, fixed a lot of layout problems, not the big one though, which I might need help with. But thanks for your support!

Also a thing I thought improved the site a lot was that I added a form mail, so that you don't have to use an epost program. A lot of people doesn't have one installed if they use hotmail for example. So now it sends to me automatically.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Smurkas
Sep 11 2008, 06:33 PM
If you tell me what resolution you are using then I can change my resolution and see what it's supposed to look like, or you can take a picture and post it here. After I've seen how you want it to look I can do it for you if you like so it behaves pretty much the same in all resolutions. The thing you said about 800*600 is perfectly ok, most designs made today have 1024*768 as minimum resolution.

And if you're thinking about a structural change I would not recommend going for the table approach that Andy suggests. You will get code bloat really fast and it's considered bad practice to use tables for other things than tabular data even though it's still pretty common. Using the right tags for the job and some good CSS will make your life much easier when it comes to editing/changing your web site. When I recently reworked a table based page to a modern CSS based layout but still keeping the same visual look I managed to cut the html code by 60% so tables are not the way to go. At least if you ask me.

When it comes to centering content you should do it with CSS. The way to center a DIV-tag is to set margin-left and margin-right values to auto. This will center the div-tag in relation to it's parent element.

/Marcus

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 11 2008, 07:14 PM
I'm using 1280 * 1024. Since I have a very small amount of code it won't really be a pain in the ass to fix, but is iframes still a good option? Because now it's so easy for me to add new content ya know...

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Smurkas
Sep 11 2008, 08:15 PM
The thing with frames is that the web browser views a frame web page as several separate pages. I am not sure about googles policy regarding frames and how their crawlers handle it but you do run the risk of either A. Google ignores your page because you are using frames or B. Googles web crawlers end up direct linking to the content in one of your frames and thus creating "orphans".

If someone ends up on your page by a direct link to one of the frames, they will only get that frames content and not the whole page, making it impossible to navigate the rest of the page. Like I said, I don't know if Google decided to fix this issue or if they decided to simply ignore pages that use frames. They have been known to press for certain web standards by simply ignoring stuff they see as bad practice. However if you don't care about reaching people through Google or other search engines, this is not a problem.

You could use a div-tag instead of an iframe and set it's overflow to auto. That will mean that instead of having a frame with a page with an iframe on it and then changing the content in the iframe, you will instead make several pages with the div-tag on and the different content pages in there.

/Marcus

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 11 2008, 09:44 PM
I think that they have fixed it, seems like it at least, but I'll add some meta tags and register it and we'll see what happens.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 14 2008, 09:24 PM
Completely reworked the formulation and the form. Check it out and tell me what you think please.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 14 2008, 10:43 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
One idea for a logo smile.gif

I'll make the final one a bit more simple though, so you can have it printed on the pickups..
But at least you can see the idea smile.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 14 2008, 11:46 PM
No need to make it simpler, I'll just paint it by hand and filter out the fancy details with my brain biggrin.gif (for the pickup) This will look awesome once finished! (on my homepage) biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Oxac: Sep 14 2008, 11:53 PM

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Oxac
Oct 8 2008, 07:57 PM
Reworking my website. Have a look and tell me what you think. The logo will be transparent once I recieve it from Audiopaal.

http://aj-pickups.com/Design%20utan%20frames/test.htm

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Oct 8 2008, 08:39 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Oxac @ Oct 8 2008, 08:57 PM) *
Reworking my website. Have a look and tell me what you think. The logo will be transparent once I recieve it from Audiopaal.

Very nice mate smile.gif

You got your logo in a whole lotta formats in your inbox now smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 10 2008, 01:14 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Oxac @ Oct 8 2008, 08:57 PM) *

This looks pretty good mate !! I like the menu and clean feel of the design! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 10 2008, 03:54 AM
Instructor
Now it looks much better. Clean and nice style. I also like colors. I hope there will be some pictures to refresh the layout. I would suggest changing the body font to Arial or Verdana. Now your Paragraph 1 is set to Times New Roman.

This one looks awesome. Very accesible. http://www.emginc.com/index.asp

This EMG site has 780px wide frame so you don't need to worry about your resolution. Looks pretty good.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:07 AM