Understanding Modes
holoshreder
Jun 18 2008, 08:56 PM
GMC:er
Hello my friends

recently i finaly understood modes

so am i right or rong?: Modes are a difrent way to play scales, its playing a scale in a difrent pattern right?

please do correct me if im rong

you guys rule
cya

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
MEN! BANG YOUR HEAD...MEN! WAKE THE DEAD!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jun 18 2008, 09:01 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
You're sort of right. If you have a major scale, this is the Ionian Mode. If if you play this same scale but starting and ending on the 2nd of the Ionian (so this new note is the tonic), then you are playing in Dorian. This continues up through all the intervals of the scale. This also works with any scale. Hope this helps. smile.gif

If you want to learn about modes Andrew has very good theory lessons about them. smile.gif

Btw i know my explanation isn't very good but i just wanted to quickly explain it simply, i think if you want to learn it properly you need to read andrews lessons.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Matt23: Jun 18 2008, 09:08 PM

+Quote Post
holoshreder
Jun 18 2008, 09:08 PM
yeah thx dude

--------------------
MEN! BANG YOUR HEAD...MEN! WAKE THE DEAD!

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jun 18 2008, 09:09 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Ahh Modes...

Modes are variations of a scale. We play a mode be playing the same scale but starting from a different note.

For example... in C
Mode one of the major scale is ..
C Ionian:

C D E F G A B

The second mode starts at the second interval:

D dorian

D E F G A B C

and so on.

However, this is only the tip of the iceberg.

We are not playing modally by using D dorian, E phrygian over a C major groove- as these just contain the same notes and are still over a C groove.

To unlock their "power" it is usual to play for example a C lydian lead over a riff that uses the C lydian scale.

Many people forget about whats underneath the lead and this is one of the more effective ways to bring out the flavour of the mode.

Hope that helps some.

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jun 18 2008, 09:10 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Yeh that's a lot better explanation than mine tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Slammer
Jun 18 2008, 09:15 PM
Great Explanation Deeproots!

IT just opened up my eyes to alot of stuff, Good Job.

5 stars!

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jun 18 2008, 09:23 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Slammer @ Jun 18 2008, 09:15 PM) *
Great Explanation Deeproots!
IT just opened up my eyes to alot of stuff, Good Job.
5 stars!

I swear he does this just to wind me up wink.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Slammer
Jun 18 2008, 09:24 PM
Deeproots FTW!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 18 2008, 11:35 PM
Instructor
Deeproots I must say man, me too am appalled by your sudden bursts of theory knowledge! laugh.gif

Just kiddin' man, nice explanation smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jun 18 2008, 11:44 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Thanks Ivan smile.gif But Andrew is the man with the plan here- its thanks to him that i learned about the modes and diatonic thoery in general.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:44 PM