2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Changing Guitar (help?)
Koopid
May 26 2008, 06:45 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi, I saw a lot of topics about virtually the same problem but since I didnt wanna hijack someone elses topic I created this one smile.gif

I am a new member, couple of days only, so I might aswell say hello too.

My problem:

I own a gibson lespaul special early 2000's with EMG81 plus the original gibson pickup. I play mostly metal but I like to dabble in some blues too. I also own a PodXT Live and a Peavy Valveking 212 combo amp. Since I got the pod I never use the amp anymore.

If I sell the amp and the gibson I could afford to buy myself 2 other guitars. I was thinking a Schecter Diamon C-1 Exotic star and a cheap mexican fender stratocaster.

The question is, am I stupid changing a Gibson LesPaul for a Schecter and a Mexican Fender? Should I just keep the Gibson?

The Special version of the lespaul is a cheap Gibson, somehow it feels like if I should have a gibson it should be one of the more expensive versions. This one just feels cheap. I should get more guitar out of the money buying a guitar where I have to pay less for the brand?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 26 2008, 08:32 AM
Lets go fishing!
If i were to sell it , I would put the money towards one guitar I was REALLY happy with, rather than 2 OK guitars. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Koopid
May 26 2008, 09:08 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (mattacuk @ May 26 2008, 09:32 AM) *
If i were to sell it , I would put the money towards one guitar I was REALLY happy with, rather than 2 OK guitars. smile.gif

Yeah, I can see that, the problem is that the guitars I REALLY want cost twice as much a piece as these 2 OK guitars together.

I am hoping to get around $1600 for the amp and the guitar (not totally impossible here in sweden i hope).

$1600 would get me a gibson studio or gibson faded, while these are OK the gibson I have is about the same quality. spending $1600 on a schecter or ibanez would probably get me a better instrument. The schecters I found are not as expensive as 1600, the C-1 Exotic star is about $1000 which would leave me with $600 to buy a backup like for example a mexican fender stratocaster or likewise.

I *could* buy a $1600 ibanez but I haven't found one I like at that pricerange..

If anyone could point me in the direction of 1 really nice guitar for $1600 it would be much appreciated ofcourse but from what I read (newbie as I am) the schecter is a REALLY good guitar for under $2000. It's hard... hehe

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 26 2008, 09:08 AM
Instructor
first able welcome to GMC . if you have a Gibson LP not epiphone i think is better to keep that and if its a cheaper
epiphone from Gibson so i suggest if you have a money to go for a more quality Guitar .

+Quote Post
Koopid
May 26 2008, 09:32 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Hisham Al-Sanea @ May 26 2008, 10:08 AM) *
first able welcome to GMC . if you have a Gibson LP not epiphone i think is better to keep that and if its a cheaper
epiphone from Gibson so i suggest if you have a money to go for a more quality Guitar .

Thanks smile.gif

It's a real gibson, but its a les paul special.

This post has been edited by Koopid: May 26 2008, 09:32 AM

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 26 2008, 12:22 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well you have a pretty good guitar..But then again if you don't like it, its uncomfortable for you , don't like the tone etc and WANT to change it - do it! But then again I don't really see a point in splitting the money and buying two guitars where you could definitely buy one better with the money you get..Two guitars can just be a distraction and you will always end up playing one of them all the time..My suggestion is : stay with gibson if its cool , if you don't like it sell it (and amp) and than browse guitars in the price range you make with a sell and buy one really good guitar.. smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
May 26 2008, 12:35 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Can you post some pics of your guitar, I'd like to see it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 26 2008, 12:44 PM
Instructor
You must ask yourself do you need a backup guitar? Does you current Gibson do the job for you or you need something better. If you want something better it is very obvious that you will not get it by buying two cheaper guitars.
Adiitionally - you will some value of the LP Special and Peavy amp if you sell it. So choose wisely what you're gonna buy. I would definitely buy ONE better guitar for the money, Gibson faded seems like the way to go. If you really need a backup, and you are happy with your current Gibson then sell the amp and buy a cheap Fender. I must warn you that a mexican Fender is not a proper backup for your Gibson - Epiphone LP is. If you wanna experiment a little and change guitars then do your liking.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Koopid
May 26 2008, 01:44 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 26 2008, 01:22 PM) *
Well you have a pretty good guitar..

Yeah, I know, but somehow it feels like I would get a better guitar putting a little less money in a japanese or korean built guitar. The brand Gibson costs a bunch too...
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 26 2008, 01:44 PM) *
You must ask yourself do you need a backup guitar?

Not 100% sure, I do gig a bit now and then and its nice to have a backup for gigs..
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic)
I must warn you that a mexican Fender is not a proper backup for your Gibson - Epiphone LP is. If you wanna experiment a little and change guitars then do your liking.

The reason I would chose a Fender as backup would be that I could play around with 2 completelly different guitars, and well, a guitar that isnt 100% right as backup would be better than a broken guitar or one with 5 strings smile.gif

I am not 100% satisfied with the sound of the Gibson but it plays nice. I'll start by selling the amp and take it from there. Thanks for all the input, right now it seems like you all think I should keep the Gibson so OK, I guess I will keep it for a while:)

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 26 2008, 06:42 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Koopid @ May 26 2008, 02:44 PM) *
I am not 100% satisfied with the sound of the Gibson but it plays nice. I'll start by selling the amp and take it from there. Thanks for all the input, right now it seems like you all think I should keep the Gibson so OK, I guess I will keep it for a while:)

That's cleaver thing to do! Keep the gibson and see about your options after you sell the amp..I wish you luck in selling it for a good price..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 26 2008, 08:02 PM
Instructor
i also think that keeping a Gibson (at least for while) would be a smart thing to do. Also I think that buying Gibson faded would be great choice too. You won't have amp, but the guitar is what is the most important thing of all gear imho.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 26 2008, 09:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Koopid @ May 26 2008, 11:32 AM) *
Thanks smile.gif

It's a real gibson, but its a les paul special.

i see you have a good gear other wise you can change the pickups to a best quality
from Demarzio /EMG/Duncan. have a nice day mate

+Quote Post
FrankW
May 27 2008, 01:53 AM
GMC:er
I don't know what the exchange rate is there, but if I were you, I'd check out the ESP Horizon FR 2. Over here in the states, it costs around 1800 dollars. It is gorgeous, with a Floyd, EMGs, and a beautiful figured top. It also has an ebony fretboard. Go check out the ESP website...it's the red one I'm talking about. Alot of guitar for the money!

This post has been edited by FrankW: May 27 2008, 01:54 AM

+Quote Post
Koopid
May 27 2008, 04:45 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Hisham Al-Sanea @ May 26 2008, 10:04 PM) *
i see you have a good gear other wise you can change the pickups to a best quality
from Demarzio /EMG/Duncan. have a nice day mate

I already have an EMG81 at bridge position smile.gif

QUOTE (FrankW @ May 27 2008, 02:53 AM) *
I don't know what the exchange rate is there, but if I were you, I'd check out the ESP Horizon FR 2. Over here in the states, it costs around 1800 dollars. It is gorgeous, with a Floyd, EMGs, and a beautiful figured top. It also has an ebony fretboard. Go check out the ESP website...it's the red one I'm talking about. Alot of guitar for the money!

In sweden its a bit more expensive. And I hate Floyd Rose (read: I am not good enough to use it) smile.gif But thanks for the tip

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Casper
May 27 2008, 06:19 AM
Yeah, you should check out the Esp guitar webiste, some pretty nice guitars there. for 1600 you can get a hella nice guitar.

--------------------
Guitars:EsP-LtD F-2E, Jackson King V, Fender Strat

MFX: Pandora PX5D, Zoom 505. Sennheiser HD25 mk II Headphones

Blown Amp :(

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
May 27 2008, 07:55 AM
Instructor
I will have to go with most of the others on this one.. The Les Paul is a marvellous guitar, not sure i would have traded it in for a Schecter or a Fender.

I would probably have exchanged it for an ESP or a Jackson if i had the chance though.
The ESP Eclipse II is an utterly fantastic guitar. Looks and feel perfect.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: May 27 2008, 07:56 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 27 2008, 11:34 AM
Instructor
Here's an idea - you can maybe downsize one of the guitar you are willing to buy to a let's say mid priced Jackson with EMG's. That way you will have someting similar to your current guitar. And for the primary axe buy yourself a nice Gibson faded.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Koopid
May 28 2008, 08:08 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE ([email protected] @ May 27 2008, 07:19 AM) *
Yeah, you should check out the Esp guitar webiste, some pretty nice guitars there. for 1600 you can get a hella nice guitar.

QUOTE (Trond Vold @ May 27 2008, 08:55 AM) *
I will have to go with most of the others on this one.. The Les Paul is a marvellous guitar, not sure i would have traded it in for a Schecter or a Fender.

I would probably have exchanged it for an ESP or a Jackson if i had the chance though.
The ESP Eclipse II is an utterly fantastic guitar. Looks and feel perfect.

I have had my eyes on this one for a while actually smile.gif

http://www.jrrshop.com/images/images_big/especlipse2_a.jpg

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 27 2008, 12:34 PM) *
Here's an idea - you can maybe downsize one of the guitar you are willing to buy to a let's say mid priced Jackson with EMG's. That way you will have someting similar to your current guitar. And for the primary axe buy yourself a nice Gibson faded.

Is the faded series of Gibson any good? I heard a lot of different opinions on this...

QUOTE (audiopaal @ May 26 2008, 01:35 PM) *
Can you post some pics of your guitar, I'd like to see it smile.gif

I will, soon smile.gif

This post has been edited by Koopid: May 28 2008, 08:07 PM

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
chmilew
May 28 2008, 08:30 PM
I'm a Gibson player so I must suggest you to keep the Gibson.
Ok the Special is a bit cheaper than the rest, that's a fact.
In my opinion, If I had 1600$, as you expected to get, I'll take an American Strat instead of two guitars (which sounds wayyy better than the mexican one).

Prefer the quality, not the quantity but it's just a personal opinion wink.gif

+Quote Post
Koopid
Jun 30 2008, 07:51 AM
Learning Roadie
Ok, so I've seen ads on Les Paul Studios, and Les Paul Faded series for very reasonable prices for a while now and decided to atleast go try them to see if its something I wanna trade in my gear for. So I went this weekend.

First I tried was a Gibson LP Faded with the Burstbucker Pro's.

While it sounded OK and played nice I the finish was a source of irritation. I know the reason it is so cheap is because of the finish but if I am to put my Les Paul Special and my Valveking 212 amp plus 530 EUR I want to be impressed smile.gif The sound was a little too .. I dunno the terminology.. "open"? wide? bit too vintage for the music I play anyway. And the feel to play it only a little better than the LP Special at least on that short try.

Second up was a Les Paul studio.

This one I would pretty much get without adding any cash to my trade-in. This one sounded better, it had the 490/498 pickups and these felt "tighter?" soundwise but this would be the same setup as I had originally on my Special but I think maybe the thicker body made the sound a bit better too. The feel to play it was the same as with the Special so no upgrade there. I guess it felt like a small upgrade that was not worth loosing an amp over.

Third up was a ESP LTD Will Adler Signature with Duncan pickups.

This one I liked a lot. It sounded tighter and hotter than the Gibsons. I am also not really satisfied with The EMG81 pickup on my LP Special. It sounds very nice while playing with a lot of distortion and for that really heavy metal, but it doesnt sound so good for other styles. So these Seymor Duncan pickups felt really nice. I really hated the look of this one though. They had a good deal on it, same price as the LesPaul Studio but I just cant live with the camo paint on it smile.gif

So... i found the ESP LTD EC1000 ASB.

Same setup as the Will Adler signature guitar but looks a lot better smile.gif I would have preferred one in white but the one with Duncan pickups only comes in this color, which would be my second choice so this one feels like it might become my new guitar. For this one I would have to add about 320 EUR to my trade-in

I should probably also mention that my LP special is not 100% at the moment. The frets are in need of a fix and it needs a general service soon.

Has anyone else tried this guitar or own one? If I dont hear anything too bad about it I think I will make the purchase, but if anyone has really bad feedback on it its nice to hear before I buy smile.gif

This post has been edited by Koopid: Jun 30 2008, 07:52 AM

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:49 AM