Waking The Demon Playthrough
Adam
Mar 18 2019, 10:51 PM
Learning Roadie
I was browsing covers and live shows when YouTube put this on my Recommended list. I wanted to learn to play this song for a VERY long time, probably since I discovered Bullet and it's nice to find such "official" playthrough to be sure BUT when I realized the main riff is supposed to be all downpicked... I lost it. And I thought Master of Puppets or Blackened are a challenge. Getting to this level will take at least half a decade but that's all the more reason to keep practicing! Can anyone give me some advice on how to practice to rev up downpicking and AP speed without destroying my hand's joints?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Adam M: Mar 18 2019, 11:04 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 20 2019, 12:31 AM
GMC:er
Sounds like a riff I'd write smile.gif I dig it! As for right hand down stroke picking, it really is about endurance. On way to kill endurance is to use too much pressure on the picking hand. When one speeds up picking, the body wants to "tense" up. This is not a good thing. It's important to work on keeping the right hand comfy and loose, even when doing lots of down picking. It takes focus and practice of course. I'd say forget about the left hand for the moment. Just focus on the right hand. Get out your metronome. Find your comfy down stroke speed. Focus on getting your hand comfy and loose. Keep your palm mute. Slowly bump the metronome up. Find your "Max". Spend a bit of time each day trying to push your max bpm without increasing tension on your hand. This is slow going work. It's pretty straightforward though. It's how I got my down picking up to snuff. One session at a time.

If there is anyone else that has tips please do share!
Todd

QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 18 2019, 05:51 PM) *
I was browsing covers and live shows when YouTube put this on my Recommended list. I wanted to learn to play this song for a VERY long time, probably since I discovered Bullet and it's nice to find such "official" playthrough to be sure BUT when I realized the main riff is supposed to be all downpicked... I lost it. And I thought Master of Puppets or Blackened are a challenge. Getting to this level will take at least half a decade but that's all the more reason to keep practicing! Can anyone give me some advice on how to practice to rev up downpicking and AP speed without destroying my hand's joints?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 20 2019, 06:44 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam! That's an amazing song. This is one of my favorite modern metal bands. I've recorded a lesson based on them:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bullet...e-Style-Lesson/

The key is practice and economic movements. The idea is to move your right hand the less possible. One of the kings of downpicking is James Hetfield, (Dave Mustaine is also amazing) so watching him playing and how the moves his right hand is a good idea.

This is a good lesson to start:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metall...-For-Beginners/

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 21 2019, 12:18 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 20 2019, 12:31 AM) *
Sounds like a riff I'd write smile.gif I dig it! As for right hand down stroke picking, it really is about endurance. On way to kill endurance is to use too much pressure on the picking hand. When one speeds up picking, the body wants to "tense" up. This is not a good thing. It's important to work on keeping the right hand comfy and loose, even when doing lots of down picking. It takes focus and practice of course. I'd say forget about the left hand for the moment. Just focus on the right hand. Get out your metronome. Find your comfy down stroke speed. Focus on getting your hand comfy and loose. Keep your palm mute. Slowly bump the metronome up. Find your "Max". Spend a bit of time each day trying to push your max bpm without increasing tension on your hand. This is slow going work. It's pretty straightforward though. It's how I got my down picking up to snuff. One session at a time.

If there is anyone else that has tips please do share!
Todd

I had a feeling you'd like it smile.gif I was curious if you knew this band because some of the Missions are quite similar to their riffs.

This kind of workout with the metronome sounds very boring in the long rune but I'll try that! My first session was really slow but I focused on dropping as much tension as I could. On the other hand when I try to match Metallica or BFMV average tempo, I can't keep up for long and the muscle tension is really big. I lately have much more time for practice than 20 minutes, so I'll be able to cover more ground in my sessions!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 20 2019, 06:44 PM) *
Hi Adam! That's an amazing song. This is one of my favorite modern metal bands. I've recorded a lesson based on them:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bullet...e-Style-Lesson/

The key is practice and economic movements. The idea is to move your right hand the less possible. One of the kings of downpicking is James Hetfield, (Dave Mustaine is also amazing) so watching him playing and how the moves his right hand is a good idea.

This is a good lesson to start:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metall...-For-Beginners/

Hetfield is one of my biggest inspirations! He taught me that I can express my thoughts and emotions through music if I don't like speaking too much, to gain confidence and to do therapy through music, if needed. As far as technique is concerned, I picked up my palm muting from his example but until now I had no idea how to practice downpicking safely. I love Metallica's S&M and Load/Reload era the most! But I had no idea that Dave Mustaine is another example to learn from! I'll try to pick up the best parts from both of them.

I'm glad you recorded this lesson and I'm even more happy to hear you like BFMV! It probably means I'll be able to learn a lot from you and maybe eventually play their songs along the CD's! Looking forward to it! smile.gif

I've managed to record a quickie just before the nighttime with Part 1 of this lesson (I'm not sure if the tempo matches the original, though) and I also recorded an opening riff from Spit You Out, both using downpicking. I don't think I'll be able to do the whole lesson, at least not in the original tempo but I'll definitely give it a try! As I'll try the Metallica lesson. I like both of them!

I also found Ben's lesson about downpicking and stamina: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Stamin...-2-Downpicking/

It looks really helpful, so I'll check it first thing tomorrow!

This post has been edited by Adam M: Mar 21 2019, 12:34 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 25 2019, 07:17 AM
Instructor
Yeah, James is very inspiring. I’ve really enjoyed his guitar center interview in which he talks about the things you said. I remember using “Master of puppets” album to train my right hand downpicking when being a teenager.

Mustaine is also a monster as well as many other Thrash metal guitarists. Have you ever heard Jeff Waters band called Annihilator?? His right hand work is amazing. I also have a lesson, and he shared it at facebook!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:06 PM