14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Vonhotch Custom Picks
mroberts70
Jun 19 2013, 12:00 AM
GMC:er
I think maybe Cos would want one that looked like that as well.... I would.

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jun 18 2013, 06:55 PM) *
I agree, I put it on my site called "Goliath", but I think "The Shuriken" is much cooler, I think I am gonna change it.

These would make some hard core picks! You might end up with a pick that looks like one of these. Just for fun, and because I can!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jun 19 2013, 12:09 AM
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Jun 18 2013, 11:00 PM) *
I think maybe Cos would want one that looked like that as well.... I would.

He might get one. I am working on his batch now. I am not sure how practical it would be, but it would be damn cool!!! laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jun 19 2013, 08:49 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
Are these made from pure aluminum, or from billets of an alloy such as 6061-T6?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 19 2013, 08:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jun 18 2013, 11:09 PM) *
He might get one. I am working on his batch now. I am not sure how practical it would be, but it would be damn cool!!! laugh.gif

I am honored to have helped you dub one of your designs! Thank you man! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jun 19 2013, 02:22 PM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jun 19 2013, 07:49 AM) *
Are these made from pure aluminum, or from billets of an alloy such as 6061-T6?

I'm sure that it is some type of alloy, but to be honest I do not know for sure exactly which. I have a stack of aluminum plates that I am using, that I got a long time ago. The thinner picks I do not have as much material for so I will need to purchase more sooner than the thicker ones and will be able to provide exactly which type of aluminum, which I would prefer to do. Hopefully the magic is not just in the plates I have. laugh.gif
When I do move to new material I am thinking I will try 6061 or I think it would be interesting to try some of the special alloys they use in tuning forks. That may not be so cost effective though. It would be interesting to see if different alloys have a noticeably different tone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 20 2013, 12:25 AM
I got two Spanking New VonHotch Custom Picks in the mail today and I can't wait to try them out!!! They are two new shapes I have not gotten to try yet so I'm stoked smile.gif I'll take some pix tonight when I'm practicing and post em. These looks amazing and I gotta say NICELY DON VON!!!

P.S. Forgive my ignorance but I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Can you guys clue us in on what these numbers mean?

Todd

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jun 19 2013, 09:22 AM) *
I'm sure that it is some type of alloy, but to be honest I do not know for sure exactly which. I have a stack of aluminum plates that I am using, that I got a long time ago. The thinner picks I do not have as much material for so I will need to purchase more sooner than the thicker ones and will be able to provide exactly which type of aluminum, which I would prefer to do. Hopefully the magic is not just in the plates I have. laugh.gif
When I do move to new material I am thinking I will try 6061 or I think it would be interesting to try some of the special alloys they use in tuning forks. That may not be so cost effective though. It would be interesting to see if different alloys have a noticeably different tone.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 20 2013, 12:26 AM

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jun 20 2013, 01:41 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 19 2013, 11:25 PM) *
I got two Spanking New VonHotch Custom Picks in the mail today and I can't wait to try them out!!! They are two new shapes I have not gotten to try yet so I'm stoked smile.gif I'll take some pix tonight when I'm practicing and post em. These looks amazing and I gotta say NICELY DON VON!!!

P.S. Forgive my ignorance but I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Can you guys clue us in on what these numbers mean?

Todd

I'm not exactely an expert on this but basically the numbers are different types of aluminum, representing different materials that the aluminum is combined with to form an alloy. There are several different kinds made up of several different combinations, giving them different properties.
(From wiki)

Wrought alloys
The International Alloy Designation System is the most widely accepted naming scheme for wrought alloys. Each alloy is given a four-digit number, where the first digit indicates the major alloying elements.
1000 series are essentially pure aluminium with a minimum 99% aluminium content by weight and can be work hardened.
2000 series are alloyed with copper, can be precipitation hardened to strengths comparable to steel. Formerly referred to as duralumin, they were once the most common aerospace alloys, but were susceptible to stress corrosion cracking and are increasingly replaced by 7000 series in new designs.
3000 series are alloyed with manganese, and can be work hardened.
4000 series are alloyed with silicon. They are also known as silumin.
5000 series are alloyed with magnesium.
6000 series are alloyed with magnesium and silicon, are easy to machine, and can be precipitation hardened, but not to the high strengths that 2000 and 7000 can reach.
7000 series are alloyed with zinc, and can be precipitation hardened to the highest strengths of any aluminium alloy.
8000 series is a category mainly used for lithium alloys.[citation needed]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_alloy

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 20 2013, 03:05 AM
Well cool!!! Thanks smile.gif

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jun 19 2013, 08:41 PM) *
I'm not exactely an expert on this but basically the numbers are different types of aluminum, representing different materials that the aluminum is combined with to form an alloy. There are several different kinds made up of several different combinations, giving them different properties.
(From wiki)

Wrought alloys
The International Alloy Designation System is the most widely accepted naming scheme for wrought alloys. Each alloy is given a four-digit number, where the first digit indicates the major alloying elements.
1000 series are essentially pure aluminium with a minimum 99% aluminium content by weight and can be work hardened.
2000 series are alloyed with copper, can be precipitation hardened to strengths comparable to steel. Formerly referred to as duralumin, they were once the most common aerospace alloys, but were susceptible to stress corrosion cracking and are increasingly replaced by 7000 series in new designs.
3000 series are alloyed with manganese, and can be work hardened.
4000 series are alloyed with silicon. They are also known as silumin.
5000 series are alloyed with magnesium.
6000 series are alloyed with magnesium and silicon, are easy to machine, and can be precipitation hardened, but not to the high strengths that 2000 and 7000 can reach.
7000 series are alloyed with zinc, and can be precipitation hardened to the highest strengths of any aluminium alloy.
8000 series is a category mainly used for lithium alloys.[citation needed]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_alloy

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 20 2013, 05:42 AM
Got some new VON PICKS!!!! I took some Pix of the Picks to celebrate smile.gif

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 20 2013, 05:43 AM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jun 20 2013, 06:45 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jun 19 2013, 05:22 AM) *

Thanks VH! Making them out of the same alloys that tuning forks are made of sounds like a great idea if it is not too overly expensive.
I really like that pick in Todd's 2nd picture, Is that the Invader"?

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jun 20 2013, 06:58 PM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jun 20 2013, 05:45 PM) *
Thanks VH! Making them out of the same alloys that tuning forks are made of sounds like a great idea if it is not too overly expensive.
I really like that pick in Todd's 2nd picture, Is that the Invader"?

That is indeed the Invader.

And here is a finished test of that shuriken rendering.

This post has been edited by vonhotch: Jun 20 2013, 11:11 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 21 2013, 07:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jun 20 2013, 05:58 PM) *

This is MASSIVE! If you didn't know biggrin.gif Shuriken Jutsu is the art of throwing these deadly weapons - it was practiced by Samurai and Shinobi (Ninja) as well wink.gif

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Jun 21 2013, 08:22 AM
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jun 20 2013, 01:58 PM) *

That's a cool pick, I suppose you'd have to be careful throwing those out into the audience... wink.gif

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jun 21 2013, 02:50 PM
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Jun 21 2013, 07:22 AM) *
That's a cool pick, I suppose you'd have to be careful throwing those out into the audience... wink.gif

Probably, but they would be easy to catch! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 22 2013, 07:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jun 21 2013, 01:50 PM) *
Probably, but they would be easy to catch! laugh.gif

In the forehead! Blam! laugh.gif They used to carry them in the sleeves of their kimonos - I never understood how until I've seen a real traditional Japanese kimono - the sleeves are like huge pockets cool.gif

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jul 2 2013, 04:34 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
I got mail! biggrin.gif There is a new pick in the lineup! My VonHotch custom invader showed up in the mail today, and I am looking forward to giving it a whirl.
Thanks VH! cool.gif
Shown with a standard Jazz III and a John Petrucci Jazz III.

[attachment=32560:IMG_0308.jpg]

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jul 3 2013, 01:39 AM

Glad you finally got it. Please share what you think, when you get a chance to give it a good test. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jul 3 2013, 03:17 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jul 2 2013, 04:39 PM) *
Glad you finally got it. Please share what you think, when you get a chance to give it a good test. smile.gif

laugh.gif That was obnoxiously funny! Well, I put a few hours on it today and although it is a little pointier than I am used to it didn't take very long for me to adapt to it. I even posted a new Guess the Riff today that I used this pick on. smile.gif Pick scrapes with this thing are pure evil! ph34r.gif And sliding it across the higher strings that are not wound sounds pretty nice too, and so do pick taps!
Also my lady has already tried to steal it and make a necklace out of it. tongue.gif
On the downside though, I have already started seeing some wear on the edges from aggressive picking. sad.gif Nothing too bad yet but I can see the leading edges starting to kind of fold over to the other side.Whenever you start looking for new material you may want to go with the hardest series of alloy you can get your hands on, like a 2000 or 7000 series, or maybe even something in the 6000 series may work a bit better. So far it's not really a problem because this thing is plenty sharp, and after I abuse it a bit more I'll see if I can get my camera to focus on it better and try to get a good closeup and post a pic if you like.
Have you or Todd noticed anything like this in the way of wear and tear?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 3 2013, 07:25 AM
Instructor
Cool! Can't wait to get mine - I am curious how much abuse it takes to wear it down, hmmm..

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jul 3 2013, 07:26 AM

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jul 3 2013, 02:58 PM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jul 3 2013, 02:17 AM) *
laugh.gif That was obnoxiously funny! Well, I put a few hours on it today and although it is a little pointier than I am used to it didn't take very long for me to adapt to it. I even posted a new Guess the Riff today that I used this pick on. smile.gif Pick scrapes with this thing are pure evil! ph34r.gif And sliding it across the higher strings that are not wound sounds pretty nice too, and so do pick taps!
Also my lady has already tried to steal it and make a necklace out of it. tongue.gif
On the downside though, I have already started seeing some wear on the edges from aggressive picking. sad.gif Nothing too bad yet but I can see the leading edges starting to kind of fold over to the other side.Whenever you start looking for new material you may want to go with the hardest series of alloy you can get your hands on, like a 2000 or 7000 series, or maybe even something in the 6000 series may work a bit better. So far it's not really a problem because this thing is plenty sharp, and after I abuse it a bit more I'll see if I can get my camera to focus on it better and try to get a good closeup and post a pic if you like.
Have you or Todd noticed anything like this in the way of wear and tear?

Actually I had noticed this little bit of edge roll on some of mine and have tried to fix it by leaving the edges a bit less sharp and a bit thicker. But as these continue to evolve I do not always nail the perfect edge on everyone yet. I am confident that as the pick wears and gets into the thicker material the edge will find it's "happy spot" and wear a bit slower, and the thin roll will wear off as well. Please let me know if it creates a problem or continues to wear excessively. And actually since you mention it new specifically known alloys will be being tested soon. (Thanks GregH)

I keep getting great feedback like this so I am working hard to beat out all the bugs. They will keep getting better and better, I promise.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 3 2013, 06:25 AM) *
Cool! Can't wait to get mine - I am curious how much abuse it takes to wear it down, hmmm..

Hopefully they show up soon! Mail is so slow!

--------------------

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:40 PM