Bought A Ts9
Mertay
Mar 28 2015, 03:28 PM
GMC:er
I waited a while for it as they are always out of stock here, seems they just arrived and already all of them were sold smile.gif the guys at the store thankfully reserved one for me, shopping from the same place in time has benefits wink.gif

Todd mentioned a bunch of times here how helpful it is when inserted before computer/processor or even a dist. pedal.

I first tested it with a plug-in called Kuassa amplifikation vermilion;

http://www.kuassa.com/products/amplifikation-vermilion/

It's my go-to for clean and specially overdriven sounds, a must have amp sim. and very affordable so do demo if you can.

Worked great, I can see myself using it anytime when playing bluesy overdriven tones. Sounds great on very clean amp settings, but really shines when used with an overdriven amp. The output of the pedal itself was enough to get a decent signal level (without any soundcard preamp help), so you should be fine with this pedal in the digital domain (computer and processor) when needed.

The only downside is it didn't do as well with my Boss mt-2 pedal compared to my BB9 booster. I prefer the dist. knob down (10-11 o'clock) on the mt-2 and boost the input of the pedal strong. The ts9 has good power but its not over the top, so keep in mind the boost from it is more for the color rather than distorting with gain.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 28 2015, 03:38 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 28 2015, 05:10 PM
The TS-9 is a classic among classics.
It's always crucial to remember that those 'older' model pedals whether it's a TS, DS, Fuzz Face or a Tone Bender were originally designed to be used into loud tube amps that were already breaking up on their own. They don't have a ton of gain on their own and they're EQ curve is also designed accordingly.

*If you have a low wattage 'practice' all tube amp (champ, princeton, blackstar HT-1 or HT-5, marshall class-5, etc.), turn it up and try plugging a stock TS or DS into it. Those amps will get pushed into some of the most classic overdrive tones you've ever heard and with the gain on the pedal way up, you'll get into VH land.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 28 2015, 05:11 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 28 2015, 06:11 PM
Good choice!! You HAVE to own a real TS9 at some point IMHO if you are gonna consider yourself a guitar player smile.gif Every other overdrive on earth is based on it. So getting familiar with how the real deal sounds is crucial to understanding tone. Enjoy!!!

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Mar 28 2015, 06:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
So true smile.gif I have the TS9 and the Blackstar HT-1 and 5 and the pedal really brings out a great tone.

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 28 2015, 06:51 PM
A ProCo 'RAT' pedal or one of it's inspired variants is also (IMO) a must.

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 28 2015, 08:04 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
The TS9 has been my go to OD pedal for years. It has a very distinct sound to it with every amp I've tried it in. Even with the gain set at zero it can give an amp a warm boost.

This post has been edited by DeGroot: Mar 28 2015, 08:04 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 28 2015, 09:36 PM
smile.gif

Just tested on my (solid-state) Peavey and it really does take things to the next level (despite some comments I've read on web it only works with tube amps, not true...).

During the wait, I also checked alternatives (notable ones I think are; Joyo, ehx east river drive and the more expensive way huge mk 2) but the ts9 just has something that others don't.

Tested a booster before it and it didn't work, but placing the booster after (it has subtle overdrive) did give me sort of a cranked vintage Fender amp sound. When soloing it really invites me to use picking dynamics which is simply a joy, its a fun weekend smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 28 2015, 09:58 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 28 2015, 12:36 PM) *
During the wait, I also checked alternatives (notable ones I think are; Joyo, ehx east river drive and the more expensive way huge mk 2) but the ts9 just has something that others don't.

One of the issues with 'modded' and boutique TS pedals is that the modifications make the pedal less of a Tube Screamer.
Which is not necessarily a bad thing, especially if it's not really a TS that you want.
If you're looking for some mid boost (great for guitar 'solos' regardless of style) without super high gain all you need is a stock TS-9 or 808.

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Mar 29 2015, 04:26 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey a bit off topic here but when I bought my TS9 the guy who sold it to me said he likes to leave his pedal on for a half hour at a certain setting and says it sounds better like its been warmed up??? Is that true or not?

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 29 2015, 04:56 PM
QUOTE (Hajduk @ Mar 28 2015, 07:26 PM) *
Hey a bit off topic here but when I bought my TS9 the guy who sold it to me said he likes to leave his pedal on for a half hour at a certain setting and says it sounds better like its been warmed up??? Is that true or not?

In my experience - no.
*If he has a tube amp it's probably the amp that's warming up and sounding a little better.

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Mar 29 2015, 09:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thats what I figured smile.gif

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 29 2015, 10:19 PM
QUOTE (Hajduk @ Mar 29 2015, 08:52 PM) *
Thats what I figured smile.gif

Reading about the tubescreamer history, the possible modes etc. on the web was very fun for me. My modding is limited to guitars but its nice to have some guitarist specific common knowledge if not becoming a geek biggrin.gif

The chips inside them are mentioned a lot which apperantly has a lot to do with how the pedal sounds, and they don't seem to require heat. But there are tube pedals from ibanez (tubeking) and maxon, really small ubes as far as I understood though not sure in such low voltages that they heat much.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:01 PM