3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Violin, Do Any Of You Play?
Hemlok
Jul 11 2007, 05:23 PM
GMC:er
8 cats!? Geesh, i couldn't imagine living with 8 cats, how do they treat your dog? haha
oh and he is a cute one

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Hemlok: Jul 11 2007, 05:23 PM

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 11 2007, 05:28 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Jul 11 2007, 04:37 PM) *
@Kaneda: Ah ok. Nah i like it a lot, its interesting. Hehe but yes i could see the face. You would have be wearing beer goggles to not see the face i think tongue.gif

@mattacuk: Well from reading this discussion you can see it's never too late! If you have the time of course and determination I guess.

- Hemlok

Well im sure it can be done, but Guitar already takes up every evening i have! laugh.gif Your still young, so you are at an advantage! I think its VERY cool to play multiple intraments! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 11 2007, 05:38 PM
QUOTE (Kaneda @ Jul 11 2007, 11:19 AM) *
Before that, I used to have an avatar somewhat similar to fkalich, but found that lots of others had it too - but I still like it (and its title):

http://www.amiga.org/modules/myalbum/photo...1621&cid=33

that is cute. Need to send that to my older brother. He feeds birds with feeders in his back yard, and the neighborhood cats are on to him. He left me a phone message yesterday, chanting "kill kitties, kill kitties". I do try to manage things so that birds are not killed in my neighborhood. A couple get it every year, but with 8 cats who all go out some, I do a pretty good job of protecting the birds.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 11 2007, 05:49 PM
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Jul 11 2007, 11:23 AM) *
8 cats!? Geesh, i couldn't imagine living with 8 cats, how do they treat your dog? haha
oh and he is a cute one

He is a great dog. 8 cats is all I want. actually 6 is all I want. 6 is a good number. They all uses the same litter box, really not hard. And with scoopable litter, well thank god for scoopable litter. Only hard thing is that they all need attention and affection, so that takes some effort with 8. The dog gets along fine. Three of them go with him on his midnight walk around the block. I do that with my night vision scope so I can keep my eye on them, my neighborhood is very dark, no streetlights. I also can point out rabbits to the dog so he can chase them. He does not hurt them, just wants to chase them, and smell where they were.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 11 2007, 06:03 PM
Instructor
@Kaneda: the only thing i wanted to point out is that violin is more difficult than guitar in many points of view. Everybody can scream out a couple of notes on it but to make it a real music and to go with it to public you have to be able to do something more than that!

Violin "prodigies" - as you called them - are learning from basics and small age, playing musical pieces written by geniuses of classical music so you can't compare that with "improvisation" on violin. Classical music is THE MOTHER and also very difficult to play in the right way. If you are playing stuff for fun than go ahead!

No discouragement here!! smile.gif

btw. learning violin at this age will reduce your time you could spend on guitar - so it's your choice! I just stated the facts! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pavel: Jul 11 2007, 06:07 PM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 11 2007, 06:03 PM
I've wanted to learn to play violin for a while now, but I dont have time, so tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 11 2007, 06:07 PM
Instructor
Sorry for this post - accidently clicked QUOTE instead of EDIT and posted....

This post has been edited by Pavel: Jul 11 2007, 06:08 PM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 11 2007, 06:48 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 11 2007, 01:03 PM) *
the only thing i wanted to point out is that violin is more difficult than guitar in many points of view.

That is certainly true in my opinion - From seeing kids learn at school, it seems that they scrape away for years, and then reach a certain point with their intonation and become virtuosos overnight - there is really no in between. Guitar, you can sound decent a lot more quickly. But as others have said, don;t let us discourage you - go for it smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jul 11 2007, 09:55 PM
Hmm, i have a friend (he's like 13 or 12) that plays Violin since 3, and he's awesome. But on the Vow thing, i remember that Jimmy Page used it in a concert...right?

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 11 2007, 11:51 PM
Instructor
Jimmy Page has enough money to waste on stuff like that! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kaneda
Jul 12 2007, 12:59 AM
Other side of the coin
the only thing i wanted to point out is that violin is more difficult than guitar in many points of view.

In mine too, you'll notice wink.gif

About the rest, we pretty much agree - one thing I'd like to make clearer, though...

QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 11 2007, 07:03 PM) *
Violin "prodigies" - as you called them - are learning from basics and small age, playing musical pieces written by geniuses of classical music so you can't compare that with "improvisation" on violin. Classical music is THE MOTHER and also very difficult to play in the right way. If you are playing stuff for fun than go ahead!

Not comparing to improvisation of any kind. You don't need to improvise to speak through music, you don't need to compose music either. You can express yourself perfectly well through a piece that was written by Mendelssohn or Chopin or whatever composer you fancy over 150 years or more ago. 12 year old violinists rarely - if ever (I've never encountered it) - do that. They just play it note by note. Which is fine, I guess.

The point is, it's a hundred times more impressive musically to hear a violinist who makes 20 mistakes in Bach's Air on the G string - if he speaks his life experience through that piece - than it is to hear a 12 year old play a Paganini caprice note by note, perfectly but without any experience or ideas to express.

And again, the experience and expression will (mostly) come to the 12 year old eventually, but a 25 or 60-year old already has that advantage.

I have a recording somewhere of me playing Chopin's Etude Op. 10, no. 4 at age 14 or 15. Every note is there, a single wrong note, it's played in (or a bit above) tempo, the dynamics are there. Is it music? Nope. It's awful, and I can't bear listening to it, because I'm not saying a thing - just playing it note by note.

Why don't I like Yngwie? Because he still plays like the 12 year old technical boy wonder smile.gif Even if he wrote the stuff himself.

No discouragement here!! smile.gif

Good smile.gif

Should add a few things that might scare you off, though. If you really want to learn, even at an amateur level, you should probably get a real, physical teacher at some point. Both to keep you at it (because the sound of a violin in a beginner's hands is not encouraging to anyone wink.gif) and to help your technique, because, as Pavel described, there are many more things that can go wrong in violin playing.

This post has been edited by Kaneda: Jul 12 2007, 01:25 AM

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 12 2007, 09:38 AM
Lets go fishing!
Awsome post ! Its very interesting to learn more about Violin playing.

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 12 2007, 04:08 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I always wanted to learn Violin, never got around to it though, maybe ill start checking out some beginner violins smile.gif

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 12 2007, 04:18 PM
Lets go fishing!
Really i think it would be awsome to stand up infront a crowd and wow them with your violin skills biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 12 2007, 04:23 PM
and then chuck the violin into the audience and pull out your metal axe and melt their faces!! tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 12 2007, 06:07 PM
Double neck guitar where one neck is a violin smile.gif

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 12 2007, 06:41 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 12 2007, 06:07 PM) *
Double neck guitar where one neck is a violin smile.gif

Now that would be a super skill blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 12 2007, 06:53 PM
JImmy page already has the Violin bow, he just needs to modify the double neck SG Of his

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 13 2007, 03:45 PM
Well today i got my violin..... and boy do i suck smile.gif

I have already snapped a string, and i havnt tuned it yet, but its loads of fun even tho it sounds crap haha tongue.gif

But i have been spending too much time playing it. Enough whiskey, its making me tired. time for a coffee and then guitar for the rest of the night.

- Hemlok

This post has been edited by Hemlok: Jul 13 2007, 03:46 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 13 2007, 04:10 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Jul 13 2007, 10:45 AM) *
Well today i got my violin..... and boy do i suck smile.gif

I have already snapped a string, and i havnt tuned it yet, but its loads of fun even tho it sounds crap haha tongue.gif

But i have been spending too much time playing it. Enough whiskey, its making me tired. time for a coffee and then guitar for the rest of the night.

- Hemlok

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Good for you! Why not post a really awful audio clip to vindicate me and Pavel, then set about proving us wrong over the coming months smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:15 PM