Funeral Doom Recommendation/appreciation Thread
VinceG
Mar 23 2009, 04:44 AM
GMC:er
My recent obsession in Metal at the moment is this genre called Funeral Doom. Very very depressing music. I'm listening to Esoteric right now and im just suffocating. I feel like im in this hole with very little oxygen. There is a hole on top, but im so far down that I can barely breathe. Its just a vast hollow of emptiness that is just black. It's like being in a black dimension in solitary. Almost to a point of feeling being buried a live.

I've never felt any atmosphere like this before, and I'm a Sunn fanatic. Anyone else like this genre? What do you feel when your listening to it? I'm only scratching the surface of Funeral Doom with the essentials at the moment like Comatose Vigil's album Not A Gleam of Hope; Esoteric- A Maniacal Vale; Mournful Congregation- The Monad of Creation; and Evoken- Antithesis of Light.

If you've never heard of Funeral Doom before, check out a few of this tracks if you are interested.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Mar 23 2009, 12:12 PM
I've been spinning The Maniacal Vale a lot lately, and I love it. I'm not a huge fan of funeral doom but I love Esoteric and The Fall of Every Season.

I don't really feel the way you described when listening to it, I just feel like I feel when listening to great music.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Mar 23 2009, 03:02 PM
Eh, never been too high on Comatose Vigil. I've always loved Skepticism, though. I once spent a whole night just listening to their entire discography, and it was amazing. Neighbors weren't too fond of it though.

If you want some recommendations, listen to Rigor Sardonicous. Its not your typical Funeral Doom, and the vocalist's growl is deep...and i mean deep.
You might also like
Thergothon, Ras Algathi (sp?) and diSEMBOWELMENT, they're the bands that are credited for creating Funeral Doom.

I could recommend some more when I get home from school, though.

+Quote Post
VinceG
Mar 23 2009, 11:19 PM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Mar 23 2009, 04:12 PM) *
I don't really feel the way you described when listening to it, I just feel like I feel when listening to great music.

I was listening to Maniacal Vale laying on my bed, eyes closed, headphones, at 3 am. No light whatsoever. It was just weird.

QUOTE (Fullmetal_Tmd @ Mar 23 2009, 07:02 PM) *
Eh, never been too high on Comatose Vigil. I've always loved Skepticism, though. I once spent a whole night just listening to their entire discography, and it was amazing. Neighbors weren't too fond of it though.

If you want some recommendations, listen to Rigor Sardonicous. Its not your typical Funeral Doom, and the vocalist's growl is deep...and i mean deep.
You might also like
Thergothon, Ras Algathi (sp?) and diSEMBOWELMENT, they're the bands that are credited for creating Funeral Doom.

Skepticism is high up there as well as one of the bands I want to hear. Just any album of them is fine? Also thanks for the other recommendations.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Mar 24 2009, 11:43 PM
Yeah, any album by Skepticism kicks ass, but my personal favorites are Stormcrowfleet, Ethere (Their strongest song, The March and The Stream is on that one) and their newest, Alloy. To me, Alloy beat The Maniacal Vale last year as the best Funeral doom album smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Mar 25 2009, 01:44 AM
i swear you guys are making up genres as you go along

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Mar 25 2009, 01:57 AM
QUOTE (VinceG @ Mar 23 2009, 11:19 PM) *
I was listening to Maniacal Vale laying on my bed, eyes closed, headphones, at 3 am. No light whatsoever. It was just weird.

Yeah I can agree with weird, it makes me more relaxed than most music, probably because it's so slow and havy, but I meant I can't really agree on the feeling of being buried alive. But when I think of it yeah, it's a special feeling if you're listening in the dark, but for me it's more about some kind of inner calm. That might sound a bit pretentious, but what the hell laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
VinceG
Mar 25 2009, 02:02 AM
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Mar 25 2009, 05:44 AM) *
i swear you guys are making up genres as you go along

laugh.gif its actually pretty legit. Been around for more than a decade with thousands of bands in this style.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
Axamentia666
Mar 31 2009, 10:18 PM
QUOTE (VinceG @ Mar 25 2009, 02:02 AM) *
laugh.gif its actually pretty legit. Been around for more than a decade with thousands of bands in this style.

Ahh Funeral doom/DSBM my favourite genres!! Inspires a lot of my main band stuff, and my solo stuff!!

Some worthy checkouts from my collection (band names):-
Skepticism
Morunful Congretion
Evoken
Doom:VS
Trist
Xasthur
Make a change.. Kill yourself
Daylight Dies
Orom
Forrest of Shadows
Sterband
Elffor
Ancestral
Amme Sours
Forgotten Tomb
Shape of despair
Funeral Mourning

--------------------
I spoke therefore i twang..

+Quote Post
Artemus
Mar 31 2009, 11:02 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Nice list there Axamentia666! I'll have to check some of those out. Xasthur are a really good ambient black metal band. I love my doom but I'm not too well up on my funeral doom. Other than Esoteric and Skepticism, I'd recommend Nortt.

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Skalde
Mar 31 2009, 11:17 PM
Learning Roadie
I like My Dying Bride a lot

+Quote Post
Artemus
Mar 31 2009, 11:20 PM
QUOTE (Skalde @ Mar 31 2009, 11:17 PM) *
I like My Dying Bride a lot

Who doesn't? Well.. maybe someone that has only ever heard 34.788%..

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Skalde
Mar 31 2009, 11:41 PM
Learning Roadie
just wanted to add them to the list biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
VinceG
Apr 1 2009, 03:54 AM
QUOTE (Artemus @ Apr 1 2009, 03:20 AM) *
Who doesn't? Well.. maybe someone that has only ever heard 34.788%..

I never actually got into them. I listened to Let Loose The Swans album, I think that's what its called, and it was boring. Then I tried them out again a couple of months ago with the newer albums, and the vocals where completely clean. I liked it even less now.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
Artemus
Apr 1 2009, 11:50 AM
QUOTE (VinceG @ Apr 1 2009, 03:54 AM) *
I never actually got into them. I listened to Let Loose The Swans album, I think that's what its called, and it was boring. Then I tried them out again a couple of months ago with the newer albums, and the vocals where completely clean. I liked it even less now.

That's fair enough, I was just implying that they're quite a popular doom band, although I'd class them more in terms of classic doom rather than funeral. They've used clean vocals ever since their second album. In truth, it's Stainthorpe's vocal range and tone with both the clean and the growls (and recently the blackened vocals on their latest) that I like; it's mournful and has quite a depth. Their early use of the violin was quite tastefully done too, it was appropriately used to add another dimension to the music without being distracting. But that's just my opinion and everyone has their own taste.
If you don't like Turn Loose The Swans, you probably won't like any of their stuff.

Do check out Nortt though. It's depressing stuff wink.gif

Also, if you like Sunn o))) and Earth type drone then check out Khanate and Teeth Of The Lions Rule The Divine

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
steve25
Apr 1 2009, 12:05 PM
Is Daylight Dies a part of this genre? If so then i like them and would definetly like to get into more of that style? I'm a big fan of Paradise Lost but i think they're just classed as doom aren't they? Even so, their latest album was awesome

+Quote Post
Axamentia666
Apr 1 2009, 09:23 PM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Apr 1 2009, 12:05 PM) *
Is Daylight Dies a part of this genre? If so then i like them and would definetly like to get into more of that style? I'm a big fan of Paradise Lost but i think they're just classed as doom aren't they? Even so, their latest album was awesome

If were continuing the bands around this theme.. IE Funeral Doom/DSBM/Ambient/Black/Goth Doom/Epic Doom/Death doom man i love the doom & black genres, becuase there are so many sub genres!!

Swallow the sun is DEFFO worth a listen!!

--------------------
I spoke therefore i twang..

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Apr 5 2009, 07:47 PM
Not to be rude, but some of the bands mentioned here are far from funeral doom. Daylight Dies, Paradise Lost, Swallow the Sun and the likes are nice, but definetly not funeral doom.

And on topic, I've been meaning to start listening to Asunder, what album should I start with?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:54 AM