3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Matt23's October Mtp Thread, Weekly assignments here
Pedja Simovic
Oct 12 2009, 01:05 PM
Instructor
Ok Matt, here we go with new MTP rules. You will be required to submit 3 assignments in October, all on weekly basis.

1st assignment is due on 17th of October.

I want you to upload audio and or video take of yourself improvising using chord tones and arpeggios. Backing track is II V I in D major taken from my lesson on GMC.
Upload as many takes as you want until 17th but make sure that you improve and make it sound as musical as possible.

Here is the backing track at 150bpm looped and let me know if you have any questions!

Pedja

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  150_bpm_loop.mp3 ( 4.79MB ) Number of downloads: 234

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 12 2009, 01:09 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Oct 12 2009, 01:05 PM) *
Ok Matt, here we go with new MTP rules. You will be required to submit 3 assignments in October, all on weekly basis.

1st assignment is due on 17th of October.

I want you to upload audio and or video take of yourself improvising using chord tones and arpeggios. Backing track is II V I in D major taken from my lesson on GMC.
Upload as many takes as you want until 17th but make sure that you improve and make it sound as musical as possible.

Here is the backing track at 150bpm looped and let me know if you have any questions!

Pedja

Ok, should I carry on doing the 4 choruses: root; root and 3rds; root, 3rds and 5ths; root, 3rds, 5ths and 7ths approach yeh?

Also here is a solo I recorded just after the old thread was locked.
Attached File  Chord_Tone_Solo__2_.mp3 ( 525.77K ) Number of downloads: 199

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 12 2009, 01:14 PM
Instructor
This is best one so far Matt. Keep on working on that approach but also keep in mind that you should practice improvising. In other words just let go of the rules (specific choruses) and try to make melodies with those arpeggios. That is what I am expecting in the final assignment.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 14 2009, 02:31 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Here's two more improvs. The first one is just a solo, the second one follows the 4 choruses system.

Attached File  Chord_Tone_Improv.mp3 ( 526.44K ) Number of downloads: 160

Attached File  Chord_Tone_Improv__2_.mp3 ( 582.19K ) Number of downloads: 157

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 14 2009, 05:27 PM
Instructor
It is started to sound musical definitely. Pay more attention to phrasing. Avoid doing syncopated rhythms if you can't place them on right spots.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 15 2009, 12:16 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Here's another solo. smile.gif All critique on how to improve it is very welcome. Also, could you give me the unlooped full speed backing?

Attached File  Chord_Tone_Improv__3_.mp3 ( 583.46K ) Number of downloads: 169

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 15 2009, 12:40 PM
Instructor
Here is a backing. Great work with last improvised take. Best one so far!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  150_bpm.mp3 ( 600.82K ) Number of downloads: 112

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 15 2009, 12:52 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Thanks smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 16 2009, 07:41 PM
Instructor
You welcome Matt. How is preparation for final take going?
Your deadline is tomorrow smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 16 2009, 08:13 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Oct 16 2009, 07:41 PM) *
You welcome Matt. How is preparation for final take going?
Your deadline is tomorrow smile.gif

I was out all day today so I didn't have much chance to practice, I will prepare tomorrow though, and make a film in the evening.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 16 2009, 08:14 PM
Instructor
Ok Matt. We will start with new assignment on Sunday but before that upload your final take tomorrow. Video would be great!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 17 2009, 01:07 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Here's my final solo.

I just want to say I really enjoyed this assignment, and I feel I've made a huge improvement from not being able to solo with chord tones at all, to this, and I will definitely keep working at this sort of thing outside the MTP now. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 17 2009, 03:02 PM
Instructor
Very nice work Matt. I especially enjoyed the part towards the end of your solo when you played from bottom to top arpeggios. I want you to try to this more and more in future when approaching soloing with arpeggios. Overall good work, I am satisfied having in mind you couldn't play any arpeggios a week or more ago.

New assignment will be posted tomorrow most likely so stay tuned!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 21 2009, 11:10 AM
Instructor
Matt here is your 2nd assignment for this month. Assignment is technique based and we are focusing on Sweep picking now.

2nd assignment due October 26th.

- Work on 5 sweep picking examples, record them (audio and/or video) and post them here.
- Use tempos provided in Guitar pro file as a guide for final tempo. I want you to record examples in your best tempo without mistakes!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Here is a thread where you can find these examples demonstrated by me smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=434165

Pedja

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Sweep_picking_1.pdf ( 77.77K ) Number of downloads: 79
Attached File  Sweep_picking_2.pdf ( 84.54K ) Number of downloads: 92
Attached File  Sweep_picking_3.pdf ( 66.13K ) Number of downloads: 88
Attached File  Sweep_picking_4.pdf ( 77.57K ) Number of downloads: 79
Attached File  Sweep_picking_5.pdf ( 64.77K ) Number of downloads: 90

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 21 2009, 03:55 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Oct 21 2009, 11:10 AM) *
Matt here is your 2nd assignment for this month. Assignment is technique based and we are focusing on Sweep picking now.

2nd assignment due October 26th.

- Work on 5 sweep picking examples, record them (audio and/or video) and post them here.
- Use tempos provided in Guitar pro file as a guide for final tempo. I want you to record examples in your best tempo without mistakes!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Here is a thread where you can find these examples demonstrated by me smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=434165

Pedja

Sweeping is my favourite technique so this will be a nice assignment. smile.gif About the tempos though, I will try and get them up to those speeds that are written in the music, but why are some of the easier exercises slower, and the harder ones faster?

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 21 2009, 04:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Oct 21 2009, 04:55 PM) *
Sweeping is my favourite technique so this will be a nice assignment. smile.gif About the tempos though, I will try and get them up to those speeds that are written in the music, but why are some of the easier exercises slower, and the harder ones faster?

Great to hear that Matt!

Tempos I wrote in Guitar pro are very rough estimation of what you could be doing. I recorded with click exercises the way I felt like recording at that moment. Important thing is to master the technique, understand the sweeping motion and do your best with tempos for each of the 5 examples.

Let me know if you have any questions Matt smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 21 2009, 04:44 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
In exercise 3, should I follow your fingerings, or can I use just my index finger, which seems easier to me?

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 21 2009, 04:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Oct 21 2009, 05:44 PM) *
In exercise 3, should I follow your fingerings, or can I use just my index finger, which seems easier to me?

The purpose of exercise 3 is to do exactly that - learn the finger rolling technique for all 4 fingers. This is why I want you to use the fingerings I used smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 21 2009, 05:02 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Oct 21 2009, 04:57 PM) *
The purpose of exercise 3 is to do exactly that - learn the finger rolling technique for all 4 fingers. This is why I want you to use the fingerings I used smile.gif

Ok, do you have any advice though for rolling the little finger because I find that really difficult.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 21 2009, 05:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Oct 21 2009, 06:02 PM) *
Ok, do you have any advice though for rolling the little finger because I find that really difficult.

It is actually the same approach as with other fingers. The problem is you never (and we haven't in general) used pinky for rolling technique. This is why you should do exercises at very low tempo until you get the clean sound for all of them and right notes. With speed increase you will notice how your fingers will readjust to it also smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:20 PM