2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Equipping The Home Studio, This thread is to share hands on experience with recording gear.
Todd Simpson
Jun 27 2012, 02:33 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jun 23 2012, 08:05 AM) *
Todd can you do a comparison of the choices of Drum Software.

I'm liking what I see of Steve Slate 4 but I'm wondering how versatile it is for genres other than Modern Rock and Metal. Would it cope with acoustic folk type stuff and Americana?

GREAT QUESTION!

The bottom line is, for anyones first MIDI Drum package, there is honestly a simple place to start.

EZ DRUMMER

Here's why
-Ease of Use
-Ability to create drum tracks that are actual songs. Midi implementation is great and simple.
-Compatibility with other uses (Wads of folks use it and reaper)
-Price (during a sale you can get it CHEEEAAAP)
-Midi packs (you can buy various metal midi packs of drum patterns for $25)
-Expandibility - You can add DRUMS FROM HELL, METAL HEADS and get all new drum kits!

SLATE EXis Awesome! But I use it after I use EZ drummer. I use EZ to put together the track from EZ library of killer drum patterns. Just drag and drop to the DAW. After that, I switch the drum plugin to SLATE. Slate has AWESOME samples and you can stack them! So you can stack four snares on top each other for on HUGE snare. You can't do this really in EZ.

BFD ECO Awseome as well but more complicated than SLATE even! DEEEEEP interface but very powerful. More of the thing you buy later.

So these three are the top choices as a "Starter" Midi Drum kit. The full versions of BFD and SLATE are not cheap and not easy to use by comparision. So in all honesty I'd stay start with EZ. But in the end it's up to you so if you want to buy the full version of SLATE off the batt go for it!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 27 2012, 10:38 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Todd

I've got a copy of EZ drummer and do like it, I can usually find a midi pattern that's close enough to what I want and then change things in the piano roll.

SS 4 I liked what I saw and heard, and the idea of stacking I love.

I think I'll take a leaf out of your book and use both!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 30 2012, 03:37 AM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jun 27 2012, 05:38 AM) *
Thanks Todd

I've got a copy of EZ drummer and do like it, I can usually find a midi pattern that's close enough to what I want and then change things in the piano roll.

SS 4 I liked what I saw and heard, and the idea of stacking I love.

I think I'll take a leaf out of your book and use both!

Works for me smile.gif EZ makes it EZ to map out basic drum plans then you can literally build your own kit with SLATE. The stock SLATE Metal kits are a great place to start. Then you can mod all the drums, FX etc. Once you find a setup you like you can save it and bingo and have a good starting point in the future. I'm using the Slate EX which is the starter/baby model and the cheapest. But IMHO hit has the best drum samples BY FAR!

Todd

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 13 2012, 11:16 PM
Just got a RANDAL RX412 Guitar Cabinet. Review to follow! It will be paired with my Line 6 VETTA head.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 20 2012, 05:24 PM
JBL NEAR FIELD STUDIO MONITORS (Home Studio Use)

Model Number LSR2325P
5" Two-Way
Bi-Amplified
Powered Studio Monitor
Frequency Range : 43 Hz - 20 kHz

There are always folks looking for their first pair of "Studio Monitors". Choosing a decent pair can be quite a challenge. Budget is usually the limiting factor. I recently spent some time with the "Budget/Starter/Intro" (insert your fav adjective) line of JBL "Near Field Monitors" (Near Field roughly means monitors that you keep close to your head, not BIG ones mounted in the wall like in a big studio).

I was IMPRESSED with the quality. They are not intended for use in situations where you have more than 1,000 EURO to spend. These are for situtations where you are looking to spend 100-200 Euro per speaker. Having dealt with the first dozen responses in advance, let's proceed smile.gif

MY EXPERIENCE MIXING ON THESE

I've tried WADS of speakers in this price range. The KRK 5 and 6 come to mind. I compared these against the Alesis and KRK during the testing. So in short...

*They sound good!!
*They are accurate enough for home studio use
*The bass cuts off around 40hz meaning they are best paired with a Sub Woofer if possible (Same with the KRK and Alesis)

For the money, these are a fine pair of speaker and worth considering for any home studio. Here is a link to the JBL site with more info.

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Prod...d=280&MId=5

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 21 2012, 10:05 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 20 2012, 04:24 PM) *
JBL NEAR FIELD STUDIO MONITORS (Home Studio Use)

*The bass cuts off around 40hz meaning they are best paired with a Sub Woofer if possible (Same with the KRK and Alesis)

Yes a sub here should help as I think the bass will start rolling off some way above 40 Hz, probably more like 90Hz and will pobably be down by 12dB (or more) at 40. I'd also guess that it's a ported design so maybe try blocking the port with acoutic foam. You'll lose some bass response - so you need the sub - but it will tighten up the timing, imaging and reduce distortion.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 23 2012, 02:00 AM
Well said!!! smile.gif With many of these smaller, starter, near field monitors, blocking the port and pairing with a sub and watching the timing can really help. Otherwise, you are mixing blind/deaf. Making decisions about what is happening in the BASS zone when your response cuts off 40-90 is just crazy.

Todd

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Dec 21 2012, 04:05 AM) *
Yes a sub here should help as I think the bass will start rolling off some way above 40 Hz, probably more like 90Hz and will pobably be down by 12dB (or more) at 40. I'd also guess that it's a ported design so maybe try blocking the port with acoutic foam. You'll lose some bass response - so you need the sub - but it will tighten up the timing, imaging and reduce distortion.

+Quote Post
enlo22
Dec 23 2012, 06:36 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
damn that's a killer riff
sorry out of topic..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 30 2012, 05:06 AM

What riff are you speaking of?? smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (enlo22 @ Dec 23 2012, 12:36 AM) *
damn that's a killer riff
sorry out of topic..

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:32 PM