Guitar "finals" Week
JamesT
Dec 30 2008, 07:16 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Hi Muris:
I had a few days off last week for the holidays and decided that it's time to record some takes of a few of the lessons I've been working on. Based on your feedback from previous uploads, I've been focusing on the following:

1. Picking with more attack.
2. Vibrato
3. Cutting the lows during recording to reduce muddiness (more treble).
4. Increasing Tempo (a never ending quest)

Here they are, let me know what you think.
I called this thread "Guitar Finals", cause I'm hoping to begin the next year by taking on all new lessons that are brand new to me, adding some variety and leaving the old ones behind. That's always been difficult for me to do since when I go back to something I haven't played in a while, it takes a lot of work just to get back to where I left off before. Do you recommend this approach (i.e., just leaving everything I've worked on completely behind and starting new like it's a new semester at school or something)?

Phrygian Beginner.
This was a great lesson to discover what the phrygian mode sounds like, to work on accuracy in string bending, smoothness, and vibrato. The sweeping part (sort of) at the end is cool and sounds really great. Hey, I learned how to pronounce phrygian too! tongue.gif

Attached File  20081223_PhrygianBeginner80.wmv ( 7.34MB ) Number of downloads: 247

Pentatonic Beginner:
A great lesson for working (again) on vibrato, particularly while bending strings. This was the toughest part of this lesson for me and something that after viewing the take, I can see that I still need to work on. I've got your intermediate pentatonic lesson memorized now too so I'll be recording a take as soon as I can play it at speed.

Attached File  20081228_PentatonicBeginner.wmv ( 7.72MB ) Number of downloads: 229

Lydian Beginner:
This one just rocks, what can I say. It might be the backing track, but also, the Lydian mode just sounds cool. Watching this take, to me it looks like I had no problem picking the 16th notes at 90bpm, but that's not how I remember it huh.gif . You can see that my vibrato is kind of "shallow" still. I haven't developed the ability to shake my hand while holding the note down I guess.

Attached File  20081227_LydianBeginner_Muris_.wmv ( 5.38MB ) Number of downloads: 202

As always, thanks for the great lessons Muris and GMC. I'm learning a ton and hope to stay with it moving into the new year.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 30 2008, 10:08 AM
Instructor
Hi James and first of all let me thank you for posting such a nice takes,
this really made my day!! smile.gif

Now let me try to answer to this question
"Do you recommend this approach
(i.e., just leaving everything I've worked on completely behind
and starting new like it's a new semester at school or something)?"

You see,every single lick we learn somehow stays under our fingertips,
with or without our will.
We memorize certain patterns and put them inside our brain
without noticing.
And since you've done all these 3 lessons with real discipline,
meaning you've played it very accurate,with clean timing,
steady technique etc,I might say that you can freely go for some other
lessons but you'll not totally forget about these lessons because you've done them
pretty well and next time you try to play them it'll be like driving a bike,
needs just a few moments to get it again,you'll see. smile.gif

The only thing I would ask you to work more on it is vibrato,
try to get that slower but wider vibrato,specially on longer notes
and then try to apply it on bended notes as well.

You bending was pretty nice imo so just keep it that way
and best of luck in 2009,you're doing just great so far,keep me updated! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
superize
Dec 30 2008, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I think you did awsome on every take.....

but as Muris said you need to improve your vibrato(same problemas i have)

Awsome work

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
berko
Dec 30 2008, 11:18 AM
GMC:er
I know it's Muris' thread but that was great and disciplined work man!

You seem to really focus on each lesson and do some really concentrated practicing, which, as far as I'm concerned, is the most efficient way of improving cool.gif

cheers

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Dec 30 2008, 11:33 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Muris is so right about our fingers remembering licks/patterns even when we haven't played them for a long time. For a LONG time I was obsessive about not moving on to another piece until I had mastered the one I was working on. But I would get bored playing the same piece for weeks on end. Now I pick about 4-5 different pieces and work on each one thoroughly and in a very disciplined manner about 2 times per week. I have seen great improvements in my playing using this approach. Think about excercise. If you want to build you chest muscles you work them out very hard maybe 2 times per week and then let the muscles rest and your body heal. Same with your guitar playing muscles. Work on the licks really hard and focused when you work on it and then give your body a few days to digest the work and move on to something else in the meantime and come back to those licks in a few days. You won't believe how much better you can play them when you come back to them. Good job on the lessons, you are progressing very well. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Monte

+Quote Post
JamesT
Dec 31 2008, 04:41 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Thanks everyone.
Yes, vibrato is going to have to be a big focus next. I think I'll try Ivan's recommendation of practing vibrato on every fret of every string with every finger. Not all of once of course, but one at a time laugh.gif .

Ok, so next "semester" I'll be moving on to another set of lessons. And working on different stuff alternate days sounds good too. Maybe pentatonics and tapping one day with shreading excercises the next ...well for me, ...tearing exercises! Happy New Year! laugh.gif cool.gif tongue.gif smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 1 2009, 12:48 PM
Instructor
Keep it up James, show us your progress from time to time
and have a great New 2009! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
Jan 8 2009, 09:41 AM
Learning Roadie
Great playing James I'm currently working on some of Muris beginner solo lessons too and know how much practice is needed to get them right, so you should be proud of yourself at the progress you've made.

Well done smile.gif

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:58 PM