Offspring Goes Pop?
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 9 2012, 02:47 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! I just found the new track from Offspring that seems to be a joke to today's radio stations music. Some people is loving this song and some other ones hate to find Offspring singing a song like this one. My opinion is that the song is really good.

Check it out:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
VilleFIN
Jun 9 2012, 03:04 PM
Tone Seeker
Never heard of that but this has been on few times in Finnish Radio Rock. Reminds lot of Foo Fighters.

Kinda poppish but that dudes voice is so good.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jun 9 2012, 03:25 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Some people just don't get the Offsping's humor laugh.gif

I think it's a cool song, and it mixed well with their older material when they played it live last weekend. I think it's a cool band with great songs.

How about doing a lesson in their style, Gabriel? biggrin.gif

Christian

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 9 2012, 04:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (WeePee @ Jun 9 2012, 11:04 AM) *
Never heard of that but this has been on few times in Finnish Radio Rock. Reminds lot of Foo Fighters.

Kinda poppish but that dudes voice is so good.

Yeah! I just listened to this song and I think that it's a mix of Times like these and Learn to fly... I like it. smile.gif

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jun 9 2012, 11:25 AM) *

I think it's a cool song, and it mixed well with their older material when they played it live last weekend. I think it's a cool band with great songs.

Christian

Ok! I'll do it! They have many different styles in their songs... which style would you like to be covered? or maybe all?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jun 9 2012, 05:22 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
That's right...I like their more punky side, like in "The Kids Aren't Alright" with a nice riff and a cool lead.
I think this should make a great lesson. Ivan already did a lesson in their style which was more rhythm oriented and in their "old" style like "All I Want".

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
dark dude
Jun 9 2012, 06:15 PM
GMC:er
Not liking that first track at all sad.gif Maybe it'll grow on me. The second is cool, but is cheapened as the start sounds so much like 'Times like these'.

Yeah Gab, the Offspring era which Gitarrero pointed out would be great!

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 9 2012, 06:22 PM
Instructor
As soon as the first 2 chords of that first song occurred I already knew what the next 2 would be... they used 'that' chord progression. I guess they need the money wink.gif

+Quote Post
Mike RR24
Jun 10 2012, 04:05 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jun 9 2012, 08:25 AM) *

Christian

Yes Gabriel...... Offspring Style Lesson. I liked that song a lot, both of them.

--------------------
Michael Connell - Ciudad Juarez Chihuahua, Mexico

Gear: Jackson Pro RR24.
Ibanez XPT700.
Mexican Fender Strat 2008 Model.
Marshall MA 100 Watt Head w/Crate Blackheart slanted cab 300 Watts.
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Digitech Metal Master Heavy Metal Distortion Pedal.
THD Hotplate 16 Ohms.
BOSS BR-1600CD Home Studio
DigiTech GSP1101 Guitar Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech Control2 Remote Foot Controller
TC-Helicon VoiceWorks Plus Vocal Processor
Switch-3 Pedal for VoiceWorks Plus Vocal Processor
ISP Technologies Decimator Noise Reduction Pedal

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 10 2012, 05:20 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 9 2012, 12:22 PM) *
As soon as the first 2 chords of that first song occurred I already knew what the next 2 would be... they used 'that' chord progression. I guess they need the money wink.gif

It is like a poor imitation of things Bowling for Soup used to do, or even David Lee Roth way back when, without any element of fresh sound, or any of the charm.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 10 2012, 06:02 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jun 9 2012, 01:22 PM) *
That's right...I like their more punky side, like in "The Kids Aren't Alright" with a nice riff and a cool lead.
I think this should make a great lesson. Ivan already did a lesson in their style which was more rhythm oriented and in their "old" style like "All I Want".

Ok mate! I'll work on something in this style. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
CathShadow
Jun 10 2012, 06:13 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Funny you should mention them tongue.gif

My band will play The Kids aren't alright for my sisters birthday...

As for the song.. I like it -> they usually have one or two "Joke" (funny) songs on each album -> Hit that, She's got issues, Original Prankster, Pretty fly for a white guy...

So even this song is very much their style... the're another song on their site from the upcoming album that's a little more "offspringy"..

Gotta run to a jam quick, I'll post a link when I'm back if one hasn't already been

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 10 2012, 06:20 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (CathShadow @ Jun 10 2012, 02:13 AM) *
Funny you should mention them tongue.gif

My band will play The Kids aren't alright for my sisters birthday...

As for the song.. I like it -> they usually have one or two "Joke" (funny) songs on each album -> Hit that, She's got issues, Original Prankster, Pretty fly for a white guy...

So even this song is very much their style... the're another song on their site from the upcoming album that's a little more "offspringy"..

Gotta run to a jam quick, I'll post a link when I'm back if one hasn't already been

yes, it's true... and it seems that the record label usually decides to use the joke songs for the radio and videoclip....

I also use to play The kids aren't all right with my band live... biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
TuckerG
Jun 10 2012, 08:17 AM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jun 9 2012, 09:25 AM) *

Christian

Haha, man If I had not read down, I would have literally said exactly what you did, and then followed it with a request for a style lesson...LOL! biggrin.gif Well put man, they are fantastic musicians I think, and just bust on the pop culture like crazy biggrin.gif

-Tucker

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jun 10 2012, 08:48 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
QUOTE (TuckerG @ Jun 10 2012, 09:17 AM) *
Haha, man If I had not read down, I would have literally said exactly what you did, and then followed it with a request for a style lesson...LOL! biggrin.gif Well put man, they are fantastic musicians I think, and just bust on the pop culture like crazy biggrin.gif

-Tucker

Haha, nice laugh.gif

Now let's see that lesson, Gabriel! wink.gif

Christian

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 10 2012, 06:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 9 2012, 01:47 PM) *
Hey guys! I just found the new track from Offspring that seems to be a joke to today's radio stations music. Some people is loving this song and some other ones hate to find Offspring singing a song like this one. My opinion is that the song is really good.

Check it out:

Hmmmm it's weird! I am not too crazy about it!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 10 2012, 10:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (TuckerG @ Jun 10 2012, 04:17 AM) *

-Tucker

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jun 10 2012, 04:48 AM) *
Haha, nice laugh.gif

Now let's see that lesson, Gabriel! wink.gif

Christian

hahhaa ok! you will have news about this... biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jun 11 2012, 09:28 AM
I first thought they're mocking the top 40, because of the Teeny Bopper virus? lol

"Did you run into Snoop Dogg at the medical marijuana store? How did that title happen?”

“For whatever reason I felt kinda serious writing this record… there was a lot of serious songs and when we got close to the end I felt like I wanted to have a few kinda fun songs on it too because that’s both sides of who we are as a band. That song was really about where I live. I live in Huntington Beach and I’ve never written a song about what it’s like to go down on an average summer day in my home town.”

When asked if this was their Ice Cube “It Was A Good Day,” the duo laughed and responded, “Yeah, I guess it is… The white guy nerd version.”

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jun 11 2012, 09:31 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 11 2012, 06:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Jun 11 2012, 05:28 AM) *
I first thought they're mocking the top 40, because of the Teeny Bopper virus? lol

"Did you run into Snoop Dogg at the medical marijuana store? How did that title happen?”

“For whatever reason I felt kinda serious writing this record… there was a lot of serious songs and when we got close to the end I felt like I wanted to have a few kinda fun songs on it too because that’s both sides of who we are as a band. That song was really about where I live. I live in Huntington Beach and I’ve never written a song about what it’s like to go down on an average summer day in my home town.”

When asked if this was their Ice Cube “It Was A Good Day,” the duo laughed and responded, “Yeah, I guess it is… The white guy nerd version.”

hahaha yeah, that's what I found in an interview. They always has fun songs so I think that it really makes sense...like these ones

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 12 2012, 06:21 AM
Learning Roadie
I wonder how much pressure they get from the record company to have this kind of song on their albums to make sure they get mainstream radio play?

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 12 2012, 08:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jun 9 2012, 02:25 PM) *

Christian

I also think that the song posted by Gabe is clearly a humor oriented one biggrin.gif The Offspring have always had that up their sleeve - this one is just orchestrated so that it provides a true vibe of what they are trying to satyrize wink.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:52 AM