Top 5 Guitar Books
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 19 2013, 01:28 PM
Instructor
I was just working on a list of reading and learning material for 2014 and when I came down to guitar/music related books, I thought it could make a great discussion topic for us all smile.gif

So, so far, I found this one, which seemed interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Advancing-Guitar...k/dp/0881885894

What would you guys recommend? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
PosterBoy
Dec 19 2013, 05:33 PM
Learning Roadie
I have that one

The books I see being recommended again and again are

Ted Greene's Chord Chemisty and Modern Chord Progressions, Steve Kahn's Pentatonic Khancepts, Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics.

Also Jack Zuckers Sheets of Sound vol 1 & 2

Again if I only had the discipline to go through these books thoroughly I'd be awesome!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
bahadirpeker
Dec 19 2013, 06:08 PM
GMC:er
That's a great topic Cosmin! I read The Advancing Guitarist by Mick Goodrich, especially the last pages are awesome! I want to suggest "Guitar Lesson Scott Henderson - Jazz Fusion " dvd. There is also a book with this dvd, according to me this is a real good material about what we can do by using pentatonics over different harmonies. He is very young at this dvd but his style is same like now! By the way I like Scott a lot smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Dec 19 2013, 07:29 PM
Learning Roadie
This one has just been released

LINK

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 20 2013, 12:03 AM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Dec 19 2013, 06:29 PM) *
This one has just been released

LINK

Oh man thanks biggrin.gif for the info.

i'v got this one from my old guitar teacher called, The Progessive Guitarist - Practical Theory by Don Latarski, it covers a lot a lot of stuff, i'v barely grasp the surface to be honest. I might give it another try.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Dec 20 2013, 12:06 AM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 20 2013, 01:35 AM
The Goodrick book, The Advancing Guitarist may be the best guitar book ever written.

TGs 'chord chemistry' and 'modern chord progressions' are classics.

I'll add Steve Khan's 'chord khancepts' to posterboy's suggestion.

Also, Joe Diorio's 'fusion' and 'intervallic designs'.

Jon Damien, 'guitarists guide to composing and improvising'.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 20 2013, 05:02 AM
Instructor
There are lots of great books... I have Chord Chemistry and Troy Stetina's series and I love them. But I would like to recommend this book because It's my favorite based on theory because it makes this side of music much more interesting:

Attached Image
http://www.amazon.com/Harmony-Theory-Compr...ds=music+theory

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 20 2013, 05:52 PM
Instructor
Haha biggrin.gif Amazing! I knew you guys will come up with a lot of cool concepts! Thank you!

Ken - my mom bought me Jon Damian's book back in 2006, but frankly speaking, I haven't understood anything out of it back then.. I will definitely try it now. New mind, new eyes smile.gif

In the mean time - started scouring 'The advancing guitarist' and man it's great!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 20 2013, 05:59 PM
@ Cosmin ... If you're digging on the Advancing Guitarist (and presumably understand what he's talking about) you should be able to re-examine the Jon Damien without too much ( days of wink.gif ) confusion.

General music related texts:

'Reharmonization Techniques' - Randy Felts

'Jazz theory' - Mark Levine (not just for jazz)

'Pentatonic Scales for Jazz Improvisation' - Ramon Ricker (again, not just for jazz) *This book is another 'legendary' text for improvisors.

'Modal Jazz composition and Harmony' Vols. 1 and 2 - Ron Miller

'Horns, Strings and Harmony' - Arthur h. Benade (physics of sound and musical instruments - VERY interesting and not overly academic).

'Gertrude' by Hermann Hesse and 'Pinball' by Jersey Kosinski ... IMO two of the best novels with music and the passion for it, as a character.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Dec 20 2013, 06:16 PM

+Quote Post
Socky42
Dec 20 2013, 07:31 PM
The two Guthrie Govan books are pretty interesting and easy to follow.

Creative Guitar 1: Cutting-Edge Techniques
Creative Guitar 2: Advanced Techniques

This post has been edited by Socky42: Dec 20 2013, 07:32 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 21 2013, 02:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Dec 20 2013, 04:59 PM) *
@ Cosmin ... If you're digging on the Advancing Guitarist (and presumably understand what he's talking about) you should be able to re-examine the Jon Damien without too much ( days of wink.gif ) confusion.

General music related texts:

'Reharmonization Techniques' - Randy Felts

'Jazz theory' - Mark Levine (not just for jazz)

'Pentatonic Scales for Jazz Improvisation' - Ramon Ricker (again, not just for jazz) *This book is another 'legendary' text for improvisors.

'Modal Jazz composition and Harmony' Vols. 1 and 2 - Ron Miller

'Horns, Strings and Harmony' - Arthur h. Benade (physics of sound and musical instruments - VERY interesting and not overly academic).

'Gertrude' by Hermann Hesse and 'Pinball' by Jersey Kosinski ... IMO two of the best novels with music and the passion for it, as a character.

Haha! biggrin.gif Great pun there Ken tongue.gif I will start with the Advancing guitarist from Monday, after getting rid of the gig tonight and having some rest on Sunday.

@Socky42 - I read Guthrie's books more times than the Bible, I think laugh.gif

I gathered all the interesting titles in this thread and made a list with them biggrin.gif Thanks guys!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 21 2013, 02:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 20 2013, 01:52 PM) *
Haha biggrin.gif Amazing! I knew you guys will come up with a lot of cool concepts! Thank you!

Ken - my mom bought me Jon Damian's book back in 2006, but frankly speaking, I haven't understood anything out of it back then.. I will definitely try it now. New mind, new eyes smile.gif

In the mean time - started scouring 'The advancing guitarist' and man it's great!

I'm curious to know what things is this book adding to you as musician! smile.gif

QUOTE (Socky42 @ Dec 20 2013, 03:31 PM) *
The two Guthrie Govan books are pretty interesting and easy to follow.

Creative Guitar 1: Cutting-Edge Techniques
Creative Guitar 2: Advanced Techniques

Two guitar bibles. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Dec 21 2013, 04:32 PM
Learning Roadie
Jody Fisher - 30 day guitar workout is often recommended too

William Leavitt - Modern Method 1,2 & 3 is one that is used a lot too, it teaches reading amongst everything else

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 22 2013, 03:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Dec 21 2013, 03:32 PM) *
Jody Fisher - 30 day guitar workout is often recommended too

William Leavitt - Modern Method 1,2 & 3 is one that is used a lot too, it teaches reading amongst everything else

Guess I should finally take the time to practice the William Leavitt method, after putting it away for a few years now... Whew, this thread has amassed some knowledge biggrin.gif Keep 'em comin people!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Dec 22 2013, 04:48 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm trying to create a year long curriculum of the things I need to learn and improve etc and go through all the Instructional material I own to get the practice material (I have collected a lot over the years!) and the material to put what I have learnt into a musical context.

I'm at the point where I just need to break things down into weekly and monthly plans with specific goals and schedules.

Collecting all this stuff like the books mentioned doesn't make you a better guitarist but at least you have them to hand when you are ready for them!

It's almost like the quote 'when the student is ready the teacher appears'

When I'm ready (whether that be a change in my attitude and an understanding of what is really needed to improve, the freetime, the ability, an appreciation of the music etc), I will see the value of what is in the books and dvds, and put them to good use.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 23 2013, 08:56 AM
Instructor
It's always about a change in attitude man smile.gif Nowadays, information is no longer an issue. The real issues are: The lack of organizing (all that info is piled up and one does not know where to begin and which road to follow for best results) and there's also the lack of discipline, in a lot of situations. So, gathering materials is a good thing, but setting deadlines for finishing them is important and most important, putting the things you learn to good use. What's the use of learning something if you cannot use it or will not use it?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 24 2013, 01:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 23 2013, 04:56 AM) *
It's always about a change in attitude man smile.gif Nowadays, information is no longer an issue. The real issues are: The lack of organizing (all that info is piled up and one does not know where to begin and which road to follow for best results) and there's also the lack of discipline, in a lot of situations. So, gathering materials is a good thing, but setting deadlines for finishing them is important and most important, putting the things you learn to good use. What's the use of learning something if you cannot use it or will not use it?

Yeah, if you don't use it, you forget it and then it has been a waste of time to learn it. Being organized and dedicating time to just incorporate, digest and apply what you read / learnt is very important.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 24 2013, 01:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 24 2013, 12:09 PM) *
Yeah, if you don't use it, you forget it and then it has been a waste of time to learn it. Being organized and dedicating time to just incorporate, digest and apply what you read / learnt is very important.

For instance, I gave up sweeping because I never used it - aside a few rare occasions when I performed with the orchestra, otherwise it's useless to me. Articulation, legato and alternate picking are most probably the most important techniques one should know, in my opinion

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 26 2013, 08:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 24 2013, 09:51 AM) *
For instance, I gave up sweeping because I never used it - aside a few rare occasions when I performed with the orchestra, otherwise it's useless to me. Articulation, legato and alternate picking are most probably the most important techniques one should know, in my opinion

I have a similar feeling with Sweep Picking. I don't use it very much but I love how it sounds so I try to keep in on shape... maybe one day his day will come. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 26 2013, 11:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 26 2013, 07:15 PM) *
I have a similar feeling with Sweep Picking. I don't use it very much but I love how it sounds so I try to keep in on shape... maybe one day his day will come. biggrin.gif

Frankly speaking, I haven't actually given this whole thing any thought. At this moment, I think that I wish for my ears to be more developed and my spontaneity in respect to self expression. I think that could be a good goal for 2014 biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:47 PM