Telling A Story With Music, Am I correct?
Phil66
Apr 10 2019, 08:49 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

I read on here many times about "telling a story" with your playing, I've never really understood what it meant, I mean, I know you can with lyrics BUT, I watched something the other day that hopefully made me understand. The video below is an English vocal coach analysing a song, she has done others where she mentions story telling which also made me realise (I hope) what it actually means.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's about how you express the notes, the dynamics, etc. Kind of like listening to a five year old read a story from a book, it's very monosyllabic and then you hear the same story read out by a Shakespearean actor and it comes to life, same words just amazing expression.

So please correct me if I'm wrong, it's not really about telling a story, but making that story (your music) come to life with expression and dynamics.

She only mentions it a couple of times but I think it made me understand "story telling".

Here is the video and also the original beneath.

https://youtu.be/A51r82AIF0w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK3NuxO3Ke0

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 11 2019, 01:24 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 10 2019, 08:49 PM) *
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's about how you express the notes, the dynamics, etc. Kind of like listening to a five year old read a story from a book, it's very monosyllabic and then you hear the same story read out by a Shakespearean actor and it comes to life, same words just amazing expression.

So please correct me if I'm wrong, it's not really about telling a story, but making that story (your music) come to life with expression and dynamics.

That, to me, is exactly what it is Phil!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 11 2019, 05:43 PM
Thanks buddy, therein less the skill of the story teller wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 11 2019, 07:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
After about 10 minutes, but worth watching the whole thing:

https://gloria.tv/video/yRkYq1f4b2K92FyVek4CH9njL

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Apr 11 2019, 08:01 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 11 2019, 08:27 PM
Yeah, the usual thing ...
How is it that Albert King can say in it 5 notes over 12 bars and some other cats can't say half as much with seemingly infinite notes and tools?

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 11 2019, 08:50 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 11 2019, 08:47 PM
Thanks Ben,

Not got time to watch it all at the moment but very good the part I did watch. I'll bookmark it wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 12 2019, 10:22 AM
Every good solo should have a beginning, a middle, and an end, just like any good story. Bits can be repeated and or modified to remind the listener that you are still talking to them smile.gif it should "go somewhere", e.g. build to something, have some sort of musical "story arc". The repeated bits become the thematic elements. Such bits can be played in different octave, even different parts of the scale as long as it sound familiar. Learning to express oneself with music takes time to be sure. Just learning how to play a solo at all is something that takes time. Learning to play a solo that tells a story and speaks to people is a life long endeavor, just like the instrument itself. It's a long term investment in self expression essentially. Some folks give up, give in, just as in some relationships with people, ones relationship with ones guitar (and playing ability) takes work. It's never something that just "happens". Long term relationships are hard to maintain. If they were easy, folks would never get divorced. If the relationship with ones instrument was easy, folks wouldn't stop playing, and everyone would be Steve Vai smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:23 PM