Would The Following Cl Ad Motivate You?
SirJamsalot
Jan 19 2015, 11:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
What d'ya think? Would this CL ad interest you enough to call? Does it tell you enough? Does it narrow things down too much? Before I post it, I'm getting my ducks in a row, so I figured while I do that, I would try to get some feedback from you on how to refine the ad.

Thanks!
Chris

Greetings,

I'm a guitarist/singer starting an "original" indie/rock/metal project
I'm seeking a bassist/drummer/keyboardist able to sing (gender doesn't matter).

If you enjoy the musicality & complexity of bands like the following (in no intentional order),
then you may be interested in the musical direction of this project.

Katatonia / Cult / Opeth / Alice in Ch / Fleetwood Mac / Triumph / Silverchair / Civil Wars

Short term goal:
Perform under-played covers (plugged & unplugged) exceptionally well at open mics, and random venues,
for fun/practice and perhaps even pay if I can create the opportunity.
Entertaining is one of the joys of music right?

Long term goal:
Write, record and perform originals - perhaps take a short vacation/tour of the country-side.

You:
1. have your own pro-gear
2. possess relative pitch / ability to sing in-key
3. are able to commit to an agreed apon (fixed) day of the Week to practice/write as a group.

Drummer:
1. able to play softly / tastefully
2. able to play loudly / aggressively
3. able/desiring to play other percussion instrument(s) in unplugged environment

Bassist:
1. able to play with a pick (for sound definition)
2. able to play back-beat rhythms
3. able to keep time without a drummer
4. able to fast-drone consistent 16th notes for duration

Keyboardist:
1. Able to create sound-scapes like John Horner?
2. Able to control / sample sounds / wurlitzer?

You don't need to be a "pro", but you do need to be proficient at your instrument.
You also need to be notably disciplined in your practice regimen because of set goals.

Wanna kick things off ? Let's try each other on at an open mic.

call me to arrange the date/location/3 songs to perform

Chris ~

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 20 2015, 07:51 AM
Learning Roadie
I think you're asking quite a lot of the people you want without giving much of background of you and your abilities. Whilst I know you don't want time wasters, you come across as quite strict and serious for a project that is just going to start as playing for free at open mics etc.

My first impression would be 'Sheesh, who does this guy think he is!'

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 20 2015, 10:58 AM
Instructor
When I was first trying to get The Reckoning together, I used to put out ads similar to this. Not as structured and detailed, mind you, but similar in tone. Serious, expecting dedication and proficiency. I never got any action from those types of ads at all.

The annoying thing is, keeping it a bit more relaxed and vague gets more interest as people don't feel intimidated or think you're a control freak. This does mean you have to have a few convos that don't lead to anything but that's what most people prefer. I prefer the cards on the table approach personally, because it doesn't waste time but most people just don't like it.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 20 2015, 03:56 PM
GMC:er
Too long and detailed. If I was reading through a page or two of 'guitarist wanted' ads I'd most likely skip to the next ad after the short term goals section.
I know it's tough to deal with finding players. I commend you for even trying and wanting to form a 'band'.
Consolidate that ad and vett them over the phone or in person.
Trust me, it's a difficult and sometimes lengthy undertaking at any level of experience.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 20 2015, 05:19 PM

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jan 20 2015, 06:04 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jan 19 2015, 10:51 PM) *
I think you're asking quite a lot of the people you want without giving much of background of you and your abilities. Whilst I know you don't want time wasters, you come across as quite strict and serious for a project that is just going to start as playing for free at open mics etc.

My first impression would be 'Sheesh, who does this guy think he is!'

Cool, thanks for the straight forwardness!

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 20 2015, 01:58 AM) *
When I was first trying to get The Reckoning together, I used to put out ads similar to this. Not as structured and detailed, mind you, but similar in tone. Serious, expecting dedication and proficiency. I never got any action from those types of ads at all.

The annoying thing is, keeping it a bit more relaxed and vague gets more interest as people don't feel intimidated or think you're a control freak. This does mean you have to have a few convos that don't lead to anything but that's what most people prefer. I prefer the cards on the table approach personally, because it doesn't waste time but most people just don't like it.

I'll take your word for it. Thanks. I'll try to relax - but I am a control freak - my experience has been - get 3 people in a room, no one wants to take charge, then nothing gets done because everyone is afraid to take charge because of what the others will think of that person. I just skip the confusion. I'm not an ass about, but I might come across that way in that post.

Thanks!
Chris!

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 20 2015, 06:56 AM) *
Too long and detailed. If I was reading through a page or two of 'guitarist wanted' ads I'd most likely skip to the next ad after the short term goals section.
I know it's tough to deal with finding players. I commend you for even trying and wanting to form a 'band'.
Consolidate that ad and vett them over the phone or in person.
Trust me, it's a difficult and sometimes lengthy undertaking at any level of experience.

Cool, thanks for the feedback! I'll consolidate.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 20 2015, 06:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jan 20 2015, 05:04 PM) *
I'll take your word for it. Thanks. I'll try to relax - but I am a control freak - my experience has been - get 3 people in a room, no one wants to take charge, then nothing gets done because everyone is afraid to take charge because of what the others will think of that person. I just skip the confusion. I'm not an ass about, but I might come across that way in that post.

Thanks!
Chris!

I ended up being a reluctant leader mainly because I had more ideas in the bag... and several people in a room who all want to put in their ideas tends to dilute things until they're just a mish mash of ideas. It never worked for me. But I think if one found a good chemistry with some really good, self motivated players then the idea exchanging thing can really work. Led Zep, Sabbath etc..

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:21 PM