2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Not Again...rsi, fixing muscle tension
sigma7
Mar 10 2009, 10:11 PM
GMC:er
Here we go again GMC, i have tendonitis again haha ... you guys are probably sick of my questions...neway, i got it again so obviously, i have problems practicing right. I dont know how, i sit up right, i drink water etc. I recently picked up a book and it said imuscle tension is a probable cause of most rsi. This leads to my question. How do you fix muscle tension in the fretting hand? I mean really, I dont know how it is possible. It is in the fretting arm, i.e. wrist, the fingers, behind the lbow, the tricep, the shoulder, and the neck. Can someone give me pointers or maybe pictures smile.gif of exactly how to diminish (guitar lingo smile.gif ) some muscle tension because now it is just ridiculous?

Again, what are some ways to relieve fretting arm muscle tension?

Im gonna go sulk, peace

Alex

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 10 2009, 11:11 PM
Instructor
Alex I never had tendonaitis problems but if I got it continuously (like in your case) I would definitely go see doctor about it !

How long do you practice every day? How often do you take brakes ? What kind of things do you practice?

If you play technical things and go for speed, there is always a boarder until which you can go. If you keep pushing and pushing your muscles won't be able to take it !

I was taught at London Guitar Institute following thing - it might help you , I hope it will !

45 to 60 minute practice requires 10 to 15 minute brake ! During that brake drink water, walk around, stretch your body etc.

If you are practicing technique for hour or more, it is very important to start very slow with metronome and gradually build speed. In other words, you don't just start your practice session with 160bpm 16th notes and you do that for hour ! No way, your hands are not used to that it will burn up muscles in your left hand.

I always followed those advices and never had problem with muscles. I hope they will help you as well man !

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sigma7
Mar 11 2009, 12:19 AM
i already did see a doctor and he just dismissed it really, no physical therapist or anything...

i do a lot of stretches and always warm up before i play, i use a slow metrenome and take things very slow and patiently

that is why i am not doing something right when i play, i am building up tension in my arm which irritatyes the msucle which leads to tendonitis, but i have no idea how to shift my arm or hand to fix the problem of tension. Like say if i need to spread my fingers from 12 to 16 on the high e string. I would feel tension inmy left arm muscles but i dont know how to relieve those muscles.

BTW, this analysis is from a book call a guide to correct practice

i might have to quit if this persists

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 11 2009, 12:24 AM
Instructor
It sounds like you are not playing right.

How are you sitting when you are playing ? Is your back arched , are you resting elbow of your left hand on your left leg ?
Those are also not good things to do !

--------------------

+Quote Post
sigma7
Mar 11 2009, 12:54 AM
no i changed all that the first time i got it, i play classical position now so my left elbow cant be rested on my leg, for the most part my back is straight, not exactly arched, but i cant fix the muscle tension

This post has been edited by sigma7: Mar 11 2009, 12:54 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 11 2009, 12:56 AM
Instructor
Thats really weird !

I keep my left hand under 90 degree angle almost all the time and it works for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sigma7
Mar 11 2009, 12:58 AM
im gonna go shoot myself haha i just read if you get a fever and vomiting from tendonitis, you have an infection and need to go to the hospital, great i had that thursday, coincidence? haha... o well thanx for the help Pedja smile.gif see you around in a while

This post has been edited by sigma7: Mar 11 2009, 12:59 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 11 2009, 01:02 AM
Learning Rock Star
Could you take a picture of your posture somehow? smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 11 2009, 01:04 AM
Instructor
You welcome Alex just don't shoot yourself man ! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 11 2009, 01:14 AM
maybe some video of your posture?

play standing for a while...

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
sigma7
Mar 11 2009, 01:28 AM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 10 2009, 07:02 PM) *
Could you take a picture of your posture somehow? smile.gif

please help with my posture

yes my arms ARE hairy haha watch out for the guns, they might go off rolleyes.gif

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 11 2009, 01:33 AM
Instructor
Ok I see what you are doing !
Try to put your left foot down on the floor to be same level like your right foot.
Put your guitar on your right foot lap. Your hand should now be straight angle and your wrist should not feel weird. Try it

--------------------

+Quote Post
sigma7
Mar 11 2009, 01:45 AM
thats how i got tendonitis in the first place ahah, when i lay it flat, my elbow pushes against my ribs and makes it uncomfortable and irritated

This post has been edited by sigma7: Mar 11 2009, 01:46 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 11 2009, 01:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Mar 11 2009, 01:45 AM) *
thats how i got tendonitis in the first place

Thats so weird Alex smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sigma7
Mar 11 2009, 01:48 AM
ughhhh poop im cursed

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 11 2009, 01:56 AM
Instructor
Try to lower down the left leg a bit mate, I think you hold the fretting hand a bit to high. Just put it a bit more down, and focus on playing really really slow and without tension. Don't do wide stretches if you have tendonitis - it will only make your condition worse.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
sigma7
Mar 11 2009, 01:58 AM
ok, i better write all this down, do you think maybe i should try to switch style of music too because mainly all i pay are metal solos which are demanding, should i switch styles to light blues or rythym?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Mar 11 2009, 03:03 AM
Instructor
The only thing that I could add is that maybe you're putting too much strenght and press really hard the neck. I had a fried who had tendonitis because he pressed really really hard his thumb against the neck.
The solution to that problem could be this: when you practice put the volume really really high and put some headphones; you're gonna avoid playing really hard because other way it will bother your ears. I know is a drastic solution but I've got this advice from a teacher I use to have, a nice bebop player.
Find your balance and all will be allright. smile.gif

I hope this helps a little

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
vampire18
Mar 11 2009, 08:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
i just got tendinitis and it sucks.
i play same posture as you. after trying everything from ibuprofen to changing posture to playing only chords i decided to just put the guitar in the garage for at least a week and not do anything too stressful with my arm. i think maybe you have tendinitis again because you maybe didn't let it completely heal.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 11 2009, 11:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Mar 11 2009, 01:58 AM) *
ok, i better write all this down, do you think maybe i should try to switch style of music too because mainly all i pay are metal solos which are demanding, should i switch styles to light blues or rythym?

It's best to keep things simple, no fast stuff or anything. Concentrate to play effortlessly and with precision, speed will come in time.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:29 PM