2 Pages V   1 2 >  
New Andy James Track - Diary Of Hell's Guitar
Socky42
Mar 20 2014, 07:39 PM
GMC:er

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 20 2014, 07:46 PM
I really love Andy James. He is such a amazing player smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 21 2014, 10:38 AM
Instructor
Nice, but a bit too much biggrin.gif I liked his Blues Jam tracks Metal Series 1 much more, as they were melodic and techie in the same time!

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Mar 23 2014, 08:53 AM
Learning Guitar Lord
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
Wow man. That guitar is a happy guitar biggrin.gif
What I notice with Andy's playing is for both full tones and tone and a halfs he uses his third finger pretty much anywhere on the fretboard. I think if you can do that it has a lot of advantages since the third finger is much stronger than the pinky. But man it is hard tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 23 2014, 10:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Mar 23 2014, 07:53 AM) *
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
Wow man. That guitar is a happy guitar biggrin.gif
What I notice with Andy's playing is for both full tones and tone and a halfs he uses his third finger pretty much anywhere on the fretboard. I think if you can do that it has a lot of advantages since the third finger is much stronger than the pinky. But man it is hard tongue.gif

Andy's known for not using his pinky smile.gif There was a silly discussion in which people were bashing him for not using his pinky. I find that stupid beyond anything. In playing, the result is what matters, not the way in which you achieve it.

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Mar 23 2014, 10:07 AM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 23 2014, 10:03 AM) *
Andy's known for not using his pinky smile.gif There was a silly discussion in which people were bashing him for not using his pinky. I find that stupid beyond anything. In playing, the result is what matters, not the way in which you achieve it.

Third finger is much stronger so if he can use it instead of the pinky then probably he has more control. If I could use my third instead of the pinky I would love to. It is just very hard for me to switch between 1 and 1.5 tones with the third.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 23 2014, 10:26 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Mar 23 2014, 09:07 AM) *
Third finger is much stronger so if he can use it instead of the pinky then probably he has more control. If I could use my third instead of the pinky I would love to. It is just very hard for me to switch between 1 and 1.5 tones with the third.

Each to his own I guess smile.gif As long as it works for you, it's great. The problem arises when you try to imitate someone even if your method payed off till then wink.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 25 2014, 02:30 PM
Instructor
Again - some ass kicking stuff from Andy.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 26 2014, 09:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 25 2014, 01:30 PM) *
Again - some ass kicking stuff from Andy.

Darius, what's your favorite Andy piece?

+Quote Post
Guido Bungenstoc...
Mar 27 2014, 03:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 26 2014, 09:01 AM) *
Darius, what's your favorite Andy piece?

Well, I have to say that most of Andy's stuff sounds to mechanical to my ears. Its all mostly based on HiSpeed runs and arpeggios. I'm really missing interesting melodies, bendings and variety of compositions, that cashes me at some point like Andy Timmons, Dann Huff, Michael Landau, Steve Lukather, Joe Satriani etc. do...

Maybe I'm getting old but I get bored if I'm hearing more then 2 or 3 Songs from Andy James!!

Don't kill me now, guys!!!! laugh.gif

--------------------
FIND ME HERE AT:
Guidorist.com

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 28 2014, 04:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Guido Bungenstock @ Mar 27 2014, 02:10 PM) *
Well, I have to say that most of Andy's stuff sounds to mechanical to my ears. Its all mostly based on HiSpeed runs and arpeggios. I'm really missing interesting melodies, bendings and variety of compositions, that cashes me at some point like Andy Timmons, Dann Huff, Michael Landau, Steve Lukather, Joe Satriani etc. do...

Maybe I'm getting old but I get bored if I'm hearing more then 2 or 3 Songs from Andy James!!

Don't kill me now, guys!!!! laugh.gif

He can go the other way as well wink.gif

+Quote Post
Guido Bungenstoc...
Mar 28 2014, 05:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 28 2014, 04:55 PM) *
He can go the other way as well wink.gif

I knew this video before too. And to me it's almost the same but jut slower. :-D
As I said I'm really missing interesting melodies, bendings and variety of compositions
But thats just my taste, of course
:-D

--------------------
FIND ME HERE AT:
Guidorist.com

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 28 2014, 06:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Guido Bungenstock @ Mar 28 2014, 04:21 PM) *
I knew this video before too. And to me it's almost the same but jut slower. :-D
As I said I'm really missing interesting melodies, bendings and variety of compositions
But thats just my taste, of course
:-D

Ah, Guido, and I thought i could convince you biggrin.gif I think Andy has his catch, but I agree, I can't listen to everything, especially the overtechie stuff..

+Quote Post
Guido Bungenstoc...
Mar 29 2014, 02:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 28 2014, 06:02 PM) *
Ah, Guido, and I thought i could convince you biggrin.gif I think Andy has his catch, but I agree, I can't listen to everything, especially the overtechie stuff..

It's hard to convince me! :-D
Just kiddin…

But this kind of technical playing is really hard to listen for a long time and I prefer more blues inspired players like i mentioned before. And I could listen to them for hours and hours without getting bored. :-)

--------------------
FIND ME HERE AT:
Guidorist.com

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 29 2014, 04:33 AM
Just to be contrary (and in reference to another thread) ...

You know the 'jazz' guys hear stuff like this and say exactly the same things that the metal guys say about jazz.

*I wish I had chops like that but two tunes are enough for me. It's not the speed thing or even the mechanical nature of how he plays - I'm actually quite impressed by that. One of my favorite jazz guitarists, Pat Martino is criticized for being to machine like in his playing. [With this] It's the lack of any real interest (for me) in the chord progression. There's no harmony. At the root of it I'm a chord guy.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 29 2014, 08:43 AM
Instructor
Ah, Ken, the more I am growing, the more attracted I become towards more harmonically complex players myself smile.gif And yes, I too like chords and what you can do with them. I somehow grew fond of taking things from each player that I like and from this specific area, Andy James and Marco Sfogli are my favorite players - Marco is more complex indeed, but they both have the same overall vibe smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guido Bungenstoc...
Mar 29 2014, 12:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 29 2014, 08:43 AM) *
Ah, Ken, the more I am growing, the more attracted I become towards more harmonically complex players myself smile.gif And yes, I too like chords and what you can do with them. I somehow grew fond of taking things from each player that I like and from this specific area, Andy James and Marco Sfogli are my favorite players - Marco is more complex indeed, but they both have the same overall vibe smile.gif

To make it more clearer for you, guys: I like (-Rock) instrumental stuff for example Marco Sfogli's Stuff ist really great because of his great variety. Or John Petrucci and Andy Timmons are one of my favorites too. But I also like Steve Morse. Larry Carlton, Scott Henderson, Pat Metheny, Joe Bonnamassa etc.

But when it comes to the point when I hear musicians with awesome techniques but melodys that don't touch me or boring compositions(because always repeating the same structure) then I get bored real soon. like Andy James!!! That's all :-D

This post has been edited by Guido Bungenstock: Mar 29 2014, 12:47 PM

--------------------
FIND ME HERE AT:
Guidorist.com

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 30 2014, 08:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Guido Bungenstock @ Mar 29 2014, 11:46 AM) *
To make it more clearer for you, guys: I like (-Rock) instrumental stuff for example Marco Sfogli's Stuff ist really great because of his great variety. Or John Petrucci and Andy Timmons are one of my favorites too. But I also like Steve Morse. Larry Carlton, Scott Henderson, Pat Metheny, Joe Bonnamassa etc.

But when it comes to the point when I hear musicians with awesome techniques but melodys that don't touch me or boring compositions(because always repeating the same structure) then I get bored real soon. like Andy James!!! That's all :-D

I like pretty much everyone you mentioned, but I must recon I don't have a special place in my heart for Pat smile.gif Not my type, but I can definitely say he is a great musician! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guido Bungenstoc...
Mar 31 2014, 09:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 30 2014, 07:05 PM) *
I like pretty much everyone you mentioned, but I must recon I don't have a special place in my heart for Pat smile.gif Not my type, but I can definitely say he is a great musician! smile.gif

That's so great about music: It's all about taste! ;-)

--------------------
FIND ME HERE AT:
Guidorist.com

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 1 2014, 10:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Guido Bungenstock @ Mar 31 2014, 08:08 PM) *
That's so great about music: It's all about taste! ;-)

Indeed, but Luke and Jeff are among my favorites! Such musicianship, touch, tone and musicality biggrin.gif

Luke's album - from 97 - Luke, is amazing in my opinion!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:31 PM