Who Owned A Red Line 6 Pod?
Todd Simpson
Apr 25 2020, 06:28 PM
GMC:er
I've tried almost all of the POD series over the years. I did have the big RED Pod and it was a lot of fun. I had the Black Pod HD as well which was also fun. The problem I had with them is the high gain amp models. They were all a bit fizzy no matter what you did to them. They have since re done all their tones and gotten away from the algos that were fizzy. Still, this BEAN had a lot of fx and lot of options for not a ton of money. The clean tones were great imho.

Who had one or used one on recordings? Here is ola giving an old pod a run through.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 25 2020, 07:12 PM
GMC Founder
I had one and I can't believe how well Ola makes it sound. I do recognise the non-dynamics though 😅

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 25 2020, 10:52 PM
I was impressed with how good he made it sound as well. He did use his own Impulse Responses and his own boost pedal though. A dark IR would help tame the fizz. Mine never sounded that good smile.gif

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 25 2020, 02:12 PM) *
I had one and I can't believe how well Ola makes it sound. I do recognise the non-dynamics though 😅

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 27 2020, 04:39 PM
I had one.
Here's a clip. The POD melody starts at 0:13. It was supposed to just be a 'place holder' for a flute part but it made the final cut.
Doubled and blended in with other stuff it was a major time saver. *I'm sure I ran the pod into a really high end mic pre or channel strip before it went to pro tools. That helps a lot!
Crunch guitar is both the POD and a mic'd amp (mesa?). Nylon string was done the old fashioned way - LDC mic.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 27 2020, 11:18 PM
It works really well in that clip imho. Sounds way better than I remember actually. Never thought of using it on a flute though smile.gif I do remember liking the clean sounds on it quite a bit but never could get the high gain amps to sound right. Ola figured it out by using a boost pedal and external IR on it but that sorta defeats the entire point of the pod which is meant to be self contained. I didn't like the black POD HD either for high gain stuff. The new series is a different beast. I liked the plugin version of the HELIX quite a bit. Great tones. The interface sorta threw me off though as I really prefer the OVERLOUD style icons.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 27 2020, 11:39 AM) *
I had one.
Here's a clip. The POD melody starts at 0:13. It was supposed to just be a 'place holder' for a flute part but it made the final cut.
Doubled and blended in with other stuff it was a major time saver. *I'm sure I ran the pod into a really high end mic pre or channel strip before it went to pro tools. That helps a lot!
Crunch guitar is both the POD and a mic'd amp (mesa?). Nylon string was done the old fashioned way - LDC mic.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 28 2020, 02:58 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 27 2020, 03:18 PM) *
It works really well in that clip imho. Sounds way better than I remember actually. Never thought of using it on a flute though smile.gif

The POD wasn't going to be used with a flute laugh.gif
The original intent was for the theme melody to be played by a flute mic'd in the trad way. I recorded the melody quickly via the POD as a 'place holder'. I still remember the pre-set: the darker Marshall (Brit Blues), some compression (from the pod) and I used a LP on the neck pkup. A quasi Santana tone. Anyway, the composer and the producer liked it and it made the cut.

*That little red kidney bean revolutionized recording with guitar. "It" may have kinda sucked but what it spawned has been pretty awesome.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Apr 28 2020, 05:38 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
I used this little puppy on the majority of every lesson, collab, challenge, video chat, and other project I have done in my time here at GMC with just a few exceptions. Direct out, straight to my PC's soundcard and into Reaper. No interface or direct box, which is probably noticeable.

Attached Image
Attached Image

These are from the 'Guess The Riff' thread we had going here once upon a time.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Apr 28 2020, 06:28 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 28 2020, 05:47 AM
Instructor
Hahah that's cool old school stuff. My first pod was X3 live. I wasn't impressed at first but after some experimentation I could get cool tones. I've done many old lessons with it.

The first Pod that I've tried was Lian Gerbino's Pod XT that looked like this first version and I think that sounded very similar. If I'm not wrong, his first lessons were recorded with it.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 28 2020, 06:50 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Apr 28 2020, 06:38 AM) *

My unit never sounded this good!!

Your clips confirm it did a better job on the clean tones!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 28 2020, 11:26 PM
Agreed! It was the progenitor of all of the one piece units that followed. They may not have gotten it right all the way but they were all the way right in what would be a big part of the future of guitar!

Todd

QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 27 2020, 09:58 PM) *
The POD wasn't going to be used with a flute laugh.gif
The original intent was for the theme melody to be played by a flute mic'd in the trad way. I recorded the melody quickly via the POD as a 'place holder'. I still remember the pre-set: the darker Marshall (Brit Blues), some compression (from the pod) and I used a LP on the neck pkup. A quasi Santana tone. Anyway, the composer and the producer liked it and it made the cut.

*That little red kidney bean revolutionized recording with guitar. "It" may have kinda sucked but what it spawned has been pretty awesome.

I remember being impressed with your tone during our video chats and asking you what you were using and you showed me that little pod and I was amazed. You got a really good tone out of especially considering it was the "pocket pod"!

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Apr 28 2020, 12:38 AM) *
I used this little puppy on the majority of every lesson, collab, challenge, video chat, and other project I have done in my time

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Apr 29 2020, 04:20 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 27 2020, 09:50 PM) *
My unit never sounded this good!!

Your clips confirm it did a better job on the clean tones!

Not too shabby eh? I thought it did better with clean tones too. Just for further reference, here are examples of a clean tone and a dirty tone within a mix.

Collab with Sinisa Cekic. (clean)

Lesson from Gabriel Leopardi (dirty)

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 28 2020, 02:26 PM) *
I remember being impressed with your tone during our video chats and asking you what you were using and you showed me that little pod and I was amazed. You got a really good tone out of especially considering it was the "pocket pod"!

Thanks Todd!

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Apr 29 2020, 06:16 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 29 2020, 04:36 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I had a free one once, it was free with something else I bought and was a Pocket Pod like THIS At the time I was impressed, it was just fiddly.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 29 2020, 07:57 PM
Learning Roadie
This was done on a Pod back in 2007

https://soundcloud.com/mattkid/fuckinup2

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 29 2020, 09:29 PM
Nice! Back in the day this thing was a bit of a miracle. Even then some folks were saying "it's as good as a tube amp!" smile.gif It really wasn't but it was far better than I remember based on some of these vids in this thread! It got the ball rolling on what we have today and almost take for granted, one stop one piece units that do everything and provide remote control foot switching. So it's like a huge rack of gear stuffed in to a small space. These days, the combo floor units are getting a lot of traction again just like they did in the late 90s with the floor pod and digitech gnx line. Difference of course being that now its a kemper or axe fx as a floor unit or a head rush etc. Even my little Ampero floor unit amazes me. So much tone in such a small space.

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Apr 29 2020, 02:57 PM) *
This was done on a Pod back in 2007

https://soundcloud.com/mattkid/fuckinup2

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:02 PM