Looking For This Effect
Marc_Maiden
Mar 9 2009, 12:19 AM
GMC:er
hey guys, my zoom pedal has this "volume" effect which makes it sound like the volume is gradually increasing kinda like a violin

to put it in better terms:

it sounds like: if i roll off the volume knob, pluck a string or note, and then bring the volume back up gradually

what is this effect called? if you need me to try to explain it more let me know

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
ZakkWylde
Mar 9 2009, 12:26 AM
Learning Tone Master
You ''Fade In'' your tone

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 9 2009, 12:50 AM
Instructor
Fade in tone could be a good description. The variable that is changed in this kind of a sound is called "attack" when attack is low, the sound will be brought slowly, and if the attack is high or sharp, the sound will be brought as soon as you pick the string.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 9 2009, 12:56 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I guess Fade in is a good term...I don't know if there is a special term for technique (of playing while bringing up and down volume pot) ?

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Mar 9 2009, 12:56 AM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Electric_Blues
Mar 9 2009, 09:44 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Mar 9 2009, 12:56 AM) *
I guess Fade in is a good term...I don't know if there is a special term for technique (of playing while bringing up and down volume pot) ?

I think its called a volume swell.

To recreate that type of sound you would either use your volume knob on the guitar or a volume pedal.

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Mar 9 2009, 10:02 AM
QUOTE (Electric_Blues @ Mar 9 2009, 12:44 AM) *
I think its called a volume swell.

To recreate that type of sound you would either use your volume knob on the guitar or a volume pedal.

I've always heard it called a volume swell, too.

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Mar 9 2009, 01:32 PM
envelope filter?

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 9 2009, 04:17 PM
It's called 'Volume Swelling' or sometimes it's called 'Violining'.

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Mar 9 2009, 11:46 PM
Instructor
That's right it's called "Volume Swells".
In the page 66 of the Rising Force album transcription it literally says "Volume swells with volume controla on gtr. for violin sound-no attack.)"

I think Malmsteen was one of the first players to use this for a whole passage like the one I'm quoting on the song Icarus Dream Suite from the Rising Force album.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
29a
Mar 10 2009, 12:02 AM
Boss calls this effect slow gear. But there are also some noise gates that sound like that when you roll back the attack. But in the end it comes down to an envelope filter as fatb0t said.

Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
calgary1
Mar 10 2009, 01:47 AM
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Mar 9 2009, 03:02 AM) *
I've always heard it called a volume swell, too.

It sounds like a volume swell for sure. I use this with a B bender and compressor for steel guitar licks on my tele.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:43 PM