Amp Settings
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 19 2007, 05:43 AM
GMC:er
I found a thread on ultimate-guitar.com that has tons and tons of amp settings of many amazing guitarists. I will post some of the good ones here so anyone can try them out.

Jimi Hendrix

Gain - 4
Treble - 5
Mid - 5
Bass - 8
Reverb - 5

John Petrucci

1)Clean Channel:
Preamp Mode: Rhythm 1 Yellow
Gain: 6
Treble: 6.5
Middle: 3.5
Bass: 3
Lead 1 Drive: 0
Lead 2 Drive: 0
Master: 5.5
Presence: 8
Dynamic Voice: 7
Power Amps set on Deep And Modern

2)Main Distortion Channel:
Preamp Mode: Lead 1 Red
Gain: 6
Treble: 6
Middle: 6
Bass: 4.5
Lead 1 Drive: 4.5
Lead 2 Drive: 0
Master: 4
Presence: 6.5
Dynamic Voice: 6.5
Power Amps set on Deep And Modern

3)Lead Channel:
Preamp Mode: Lead 2 Yellow (MarkII Lead Sound)
Gain: 7.5
Treble: 4.5
Middle: 4
Bass: 5.5
Lead 1 Drive: 0
Lead 2 Drive: 6.5 Master: 6
Presence: 0
Dynamic Voice: 3

4)EFFECTS CHAIN:
Clean Sound - basic chorus sound
Lead Sound - 602 and 460 millisecond delay with 3 repeats
Crunch - 26 milliseconds delay

Tom Morello

Gain - 7
Treble - 10
Mid - 4
Bass - 4
Reverb - 0

Eric Clapton

Gain - 7
Teble - 5
Mid - 7
Bass - 7

Jimmy Page

Gain - 4
Treble - 8
Mid - 3
Bass - 7
Reverb - 2

Eddie Van Halen

Gain - 6
Treble - 4
Mid - 3
Bass- 9
Reverb - 4
Presence - 8

John Frusciante

Gain - 4
Treble - 8
Mid - 2
Bass - 6
Reverb - 7

Kirk Hammet

Gain - 7
Treble - 7
Mid - 2
Bass - 7
Reverb - 2

The Edge (This one is for Mattacuk laugh.gif)

Gain - 1.5
Treble - 7
Mid - 5
Bass - 3
Reverb - 8.5

Brian May

Gain - 8.5
Treble - 4
Mid - 9
Bass - 5.5
Reverb - 4

Slash

Gain - 6.5
Treble - 4.5
Mid - 7
Bass - 7
Presence - 8

Dimebag Darrel

Gain - 7
Treble - 10
Mid - 4
Bass - 9
Reverb - 0

Dave Murray

Drive - 7
Treble - 9
Mid - 7
Bass - 4
Reverb - 0

Angus Young

Gain - 5
Treble - 10
Mid - 10
Bass - 5

Gary Rossington

Treble - 5
Mid - 10
Bass - 5
Gain - 2-3

Mark Tremonti

Gain - 10
Treb. - 6
Mid. - 3 or 4
Bass - 7
Presence - 6

Tony Iommi

Gain - 7 or 8
Bass - 6
Middle - 6
Treble - 6
Channel - Overdrive

I can add more upon request if I can find that certain setting. I will add more later. Hope you enjoy.

I'll post the requested ones below.

Paul Gilbert

Gain 7
Bass 7
Mid 5
Treble 7

Also, here is a guide on how to EQ and find your own tone.

Amps generally have a three band eq, meaning bass, mid and treble. They sometimes have a fourth band, presence, which control frequencies above the treble range.

When you're eqing, start with all controls at noon, or 5. This is a point of no boost or cutting of the frequencies. Play it a bit and get used to the sound and see what needs to be added or taken away. It is best to do this listening (and this applies to listening in all further stages of this guide) in a band setting, because your sound changes drastically when you have other instruments. This is because you have to find your 'place'. Listen to 'Sweet Child of Mine' by Guns n Roses - when Slash comes in by himself at the start it sounds trebly and horrible, but then when the band comes in it fits the mix perfectly and has people all over the world trying to get this tone.

So anyway, you've got an idea now of what your amp sounds like, time to make some adjustments. Cut treble if there's too much, or cut bass if it's too boomy (don't be scared to cut heaps of bass, honestly, guitar requires pretty much no bass, even when you're playing rhythm - listen to some Van Halen to see what I mean. Ever wondered why the bridge pickup was so popular for rock?

This would probably be a good time to add in some 'mids'. The midrange is a frequency range roughly between 500 and 1000 hz. Remember when I talked before about finding your spot in the mix? This is the knob that does it. The guys who makes amps and speakers know this, and usually speakers are voiced with a mid 'hump' - that is, a boost in the midrange frequencies. This is how you not only get yourself heard without having to turn up too much, but without drowning out the other instruments too. Mess with this knob while you're jamming with your band to find the right balance between 'cutting through' and sounding too boxy or honky, or like an old transistor radio.

So there you have it, that should have you well on your way to getting a good tone. Use the below settings as a guide to get particular sounds, but remember that your gear is different and thus, they should be used more as a rough guide that a hard and fast way to get that particular tone.

Attached Image

What is it? It is an equal loudness contour. Our ear hears different frequencies differently. Each line is what spl level (loudness) is needed at each frequency to get an equal or flat frequency response in our ears. As you can see, it is extremely hard to reproduce lower frequencies (hence why bassists all have rigs of doom) and extremely easy to reproduce midrange/upper midrange frequencies.

However, if you look at the graph, you'll notice that as we get louder, the frequency response of the ear gets flatter.

What does this mean? As you turn up your amp to get the same tone as when it is quiet you'll have to compensate by turning up your mids and possibly treble. This makes the mid scoop a really bad idea.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Unleash-The-Shred: Nov 19 2007, 06:14 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
peterorg54
Nov 19 2007, 10:48 AM
GMC:er
WOW. this is so cool..

can u add Paul Gilbert's setting, if u can ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:14 PM