How Do You Mute The G String When Sweeping?
miguelbatalha
Dec 13 2013, 09:11 PM
GMC:er
I need some help on how to mute the g string when sweep picking.

In more detail: For example, when sweeping from the first to the fifth string, when I leave the g string to go for the d string, the note G (fret 0, string G) can be heard. I know I need to practice slow (this doesn't happen when sweeping at medium or slow tempos, only when "shredding") but some insight or something I hear or watch from others might open my eyes and help in any way.

It's the only string that I can't seem to mute properly...

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Darius Wave
Dec 13 2013, 09:43 PM
Instructor
Unfortunately without video it would be hard to help. We cannot see what could be the reason of the problem. No I can only guess. Most of us just release the tension from the finger just after we play that particular note....but we keep that finger touching the string for a while.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 13 2013, 09:53 PM
In cases like these, we almost always get more out of a video than a description. Go ahead and shoot some quick video of what you are doing and it will help us see what's going on ok? Bug in very general terms, my "guess" without seeing it would be that you might not have great right hand placement on the bridge. When sweeping, both hands can help in the mute. The right hand often leads and the left follows. Only the string being struck need have much ring and even then not much so it's still under a partial mute often to give it that sweepy tone. HOWEVER some folks don't mute much at all during sweeps and do just fine. It's a bit tougher to keep clean though.

Todd

QUOTE (miguelbatalha @ Dec 13 2013, 03:11 PM) *
I need some help on how to mute the g string when sweep picking.

In more detail: For example, when sweeping from the first to the fifth string, when I leave the g string to go for the d string, the note G (fret 0, string G) can be heard. I know I need to practice slow (this doesn't happen when sweeping at medium or slow tempos, only when "shredding") but some insight or something I hear or watch from others might open my eyes and help in any way.

It's the only string that I can't seem to mute properly...

Thanks!

+Quote Post
miguelbatalha
Dec 13 2013, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the input though.

This only happens when descending. Never happens when ascending. (Only from a higher string to a lower string)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 14 2013, 03:43 AM
Grab a web cam, or anything and shoot a vid to share smile.gif

QUOTE (miguelbatalha @ Dec 13 2013, 04:54 PM) *
Thanks for the input though.

This only happens when descending. Never happens when ascending. (Only from a higher string to a lower string)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 17 2013, 01:52 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif please make the vid if you can and we will be happy to assist wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 17 2013, 02:05 PM
Instructor
If it only happens when descending from high string to low, then it could be because you play with your fingers curled up and not dangling over the strings ? That would mean you don't have any finger(s) covering the higher strings as you move to the lower.

The guys have all given brilliant input.. we'll look forward to a video and then hopefully we can help you get to the bottom of this smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 21 2013, 05:14 PM
Instructor
Hey mate - here are my thoughts:

+Quote Post
miguelbatalha
Dec 24 2013, 04:26 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 21 2013, 04:14 PM) *
Hey mate - here are my thoughts:

Thank you so much, dear instructors. cool.gif

I'll post a video, soon. Working on my technique! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 25 2013, 08:49 AM
Instructor
The pleasure is all ours, especially if we know we could help out smile.gif

Cheers to you mate and keep us updated wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:39 AM