How Much Do You Practice
SeeJay
May 13 2014, 07:17 PM
GMC:er
Like any relationship, you've got to put in that quality time.

I play a guitar almost every day, even if it's just too noodle for a few minutes but I can tell when I really haven't put in the time. I think my practicing is really to help connect my hands and my ears. Running though some scales and riffing around the neck helps me hear new things which in turn helps me write new things. I usually have less of a technical agenda when I practice.

How intense are you guys about practicing? Do you have a practice regiment you stick to?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
gregc1
May 13 2014, 07:48 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
No regiment or regular agenda here. Some days I'll spend several hours playing but sometimes I go a couple days without playing at all. I really need to tighten up but I have so many other things competing for attention that's it's impossible for me to put the time in that I should be.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 13 2014, 08:48 PM
What part of Florida are you from?

QUOTE (gregc1 @ May 13 2014, 06:48 PM) *
No regiment or regular agenda here. Some days I'll spend several hours playing but sometimes I go a couple days without playing at all. I really need to tighten up but I have so many other things competing for attention that's it's impossible for me to put the time in that I should be.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregc1
May 13 2014, 10:29 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (SeeJay @ May 13 2014, 07:48 PM) *
What part of Florida are you from?

Tallahassee.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 13 2014, 11:40 PM
I"m a bit of a "Practice Nut" as I was born without much actual talent, it's been important for my progress to practice my brains out. smile.gif

I usually practice between 1 and 3 hours a day. It's more on Friday evening as I'm prepping Saturday's Lesson Plan and then late in to Saturday night prepping Sunday's lesson plan.

The good news is that, IMHO, anyone can can become a fine player with enough sheer tenacity. Most players simply give up the instrument in the first year. I've always treasured my ability to play guitar and I'm glad to heave earned the ability to play. It's one of those things nobody can take away from ya, and you have to earn it.

Practice!!!
Todd

QUOTE (SeeJay @ May 13 2014, 02:17 PM) *
Like any relationship, you've got to put in that quality time.

I play a guitar almost every day, even if it's just too noodle for a few minutes but I can tell when I really haven't put in the time. I think my practicing is really to help connect my hands and my ears. Running though some scales and riffing around the neck helps me hear new things which in turn helps me write new things. I usually have less of a technical agenda when I practice.

How intense are you guys about practicing? Do you have a practice regiment you stick to?

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 14 2014, 12:35 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 13 2014, 03:40 PM) *
The good news is that, IMHO, anyone can can become a fine player with enough sheer tenacity. Most players simply give up the instrument in the first year. I've always treasured my ability to play guitar and I'm glad to heave earned the ability to play. It's one of those things nobody can take away from ya, and you have to earn it.

Practice!!!
Todd

This is a great point!

I'm not sure if my 'talent' is for guitar specifically or the ability to completely immerse myself into something I love doing - ?
Which relates to what I mention in this thread ... https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry685309

I go in and out of periods of extreme practicing. Always have. And periods where I don't practice per se but only 'play'. And at least a few weeks where I don't touch a guitar at all.

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 14 2014, 12:37 AM

+Quote Post
Marius Pop
May 14 2014, 12:48 AM
Instructor
My practice time is the one that i have when i hear my solos that are already recorded for production smile.gif
Hearing myself makes me realise that i am thirsty to learn new things

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 14 2014, 01:40 AM
Well thanks smile.gif It's something that I heard our founder (KRIS DAHL) say long ago and why I cam over here to check things out smile.gif Been here ever since!

QUOTE (klasaine @ May 13 2014, 07:35 PM) *
This is a great point!

I'm not sure if my 'talent' is for guitar specifically or the ability to completely immerse myself into something I love doing - ?
Which relates to what I mention in this thread ... https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry685309

I go in and out of periods of extreme practicing. Always have. And periods where I don't practice per se but only 'play'. And at least a few weeks where I don't touch a guitar at all.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 14 2014, 01:40 AM
Learning Tone Master
as for me ,as many kids as I have , my mornings practicing are as necessary as food.Now my practice is focused and probably considered intense ,but , it is my morning time, my quite time, a time when I clear my mind and guitar helps me to prepare for the day.Without it, I would probably go crazy

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 14 2014, 04:49 AM
Talley! I've always had a good time over there.

QUOTE (gregc1 @ May 13 2014, 09:29 PM) *
Tallahassee.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
May 14 2014, 10:03 AM
I usually practice 1 to 2 hours a day. An hour before work and then 30 minutes to an hour after. I wish I could do more right now, but that is the routine I have worked myself into. I would call half of that time "intense" and the other half just playing.

Weekends more of course - especially Saturday which is my guitar day.

This post has been edited by Spock: May 14 2014, 10:03 AM

+Quote Post
ChocolateThunda
May 14 2014, 02:03 PM
I'm a massive procrastinator. I get in from work and all I want to do is chill out and play some online games. That being said, when I sit down and play my guitar, I genuinely can't put it down. I'm thinking about developeing a sorta.. Yearly plan, then split that into a monthly goal plan, so I can work on stuff that I want to and know what I'm practicing that day.

I think I would dedicate about an hour, hour and a half a day to practicing. It all depends really, if I'm on fire that day, I'll sit for HOURS and play different stuff. If I haven't eaten, my fingers are cold, my gf is pissed at me, I will play like crap and I'll get annoyed and put my guitar down and play some more games haha. I think all these contribute as factors tbh. But as a procrastinator, I think a regime certainly helps! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 14 2014, 10:05 PM
I think of it as working out. You can do big spurts here and there, but its the focused consistent time which makes the difference. I'm about to setup a new course for the next couple of weeks for me to work on. Very excited.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 15 2014, 01:24 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 15 2014, 04:17 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:08 AM