Wheres The Emotion?, are instructors from another planet?
Darktime
Apr 25 2010, 01:24 PM
GMC:er
After the other thread who`s the best instructor I noticed something not quite human maybe alienlike about our instructors (this would explain the talent). I had gone from the site to watching Gary Moore vids on you tube, hence my question: Why is it that all of these top stars some of who I admire a lot suffer such pain when they hit some of these bends or do a fast run? while our instructors who in my opinion play better than most of the top stars look as if they are walking in the park?
So just to put our minds at rest how about all the instructors putting up a video showing the best facial expression.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Andrew6
Apr 25 2010, 01:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
Well I am sure if you went to see the instructors live it would be a little bit different. If you saw artist's in the studio they would have 100% concentration, although i've seen Lian do some sweet headbanging laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Rogue Electric Acoustic (CHEAP lol)

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
Darktime
Apr 25 2010, 01:43 PM
QUOTE (Andrew6 @ Apr 25 2010, 01:31 PM) *
Well I am sure if you went to see the instructors live it would be a little bit different. If you saw artist's in the studio they would have 100% concentration, although i've seen Lian do some sweet headbanging laugh.gif

I`d jump at the chance to see them live.

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Apr 25 2010, 02:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
I've seen Marcus live with Blind Guardian and he can headbang with the best laugh.gif

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Rogue Electric Acoustic (CHEAP lol)

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Apr 25 2010, 03:07 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I think the "pain" they feel is part of the show smile.gif I've done a gig or two in the past and you'll see that when you're playing a gig, your stage performance is very important! So it's important to look kinda cool tongue.gif while Gary Moore is in the studio, he'll probably not make as much "faces" as he would live smile.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Apr 25 2010, 03:27 PM
Instructor
i'm a 100% "face" player, and let me tell you that's natural man, i make faces when i'm playing alone at 3am biggrin.gif
just part of the whole expression process, sometimes the guitar is not enough to express everything i guess smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Darktime
Apr 25 2010, 03:38 PM
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Apr 25 2010, 03:27 PM) *
i'm a 100% "face" player, and let me tell you that's natural man, i make faces when i'm playing alone at 3am biggrin.gif
just part of the whole expression process, sometimes the guitar is not enough to express everything i guess smile.gif

I hope no one thinks I was trying to be rude when I put this up what I was hoping for was that the instructors might have some footage from lessons/gigs that they thought was funny I know its all apart of a performance but sometimes things get done again cos of a bum note I just wondered if there were any outtakes cos of bum faces lol

+Quote Post
Staffy
Apr 25 2010, 04:02 PM
Learning Tone Master
Maybe thats why some are stars and some are teachers??? (no offense to our skilled staff) Nah, to beeing a real star, its much more than playing a phrase or a lick perfect. Most of the famous guitar players does a lot of mistakes, but still have their own unique style, both musically and visually. Imo. You must deliver something to the audience with emotion, otherwise its worthless! No matter how well its played. In a lesson though, every note is planned and has a meaning of transfer some knowledge, the intructors would probably not played the same way if it was a live situation.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
relaxenjoy
Apr 25 2010, 04:45 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I think of two things that might add to this effect:

1. Lessons do not always tap and instructors skill levels. I know that when I play something that is challenging for me to play or more technically difficult, I tend to play more emotionally because I become more involved.

2. Infront of the camera. When I watch my REC submissions, I notice I don't play with a lot of emtion, but it is different when I am on stage or jamming with friends. I think maybe I am trying to keep myself inside the frame.

Though, some people likely don't play with as much emotion as others!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Apr 25 2010, 05:02 PM
I think if any instructor made the classic Steve Vai "O" face I would be laughing for years

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 25 2010, 05:09 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
You don't always need faces to express emotions though, some don't even have a face! smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Apr 25 2010, 05:24 PM
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Apr 25 2010, 04:27 PM) *

That's rock!!. Hahaha

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Apr 25 2010, 10:53 PM
Instructor
hahahah, I guess it's part of show sometimes and sometimes comes natural...

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 26 2010, 12:34 AM
Instructor
I believe it comes natural.. However, lessons are not exactly live experience, so I don't think that can be compared smile.gif
On a side note, people tend to appreciate the honesty, emotion and originality, so an open minded artist with good songs/compositions and ability to push the limits can often be spotted sooner than artist who is copying the masses.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Apr 26 2010, 01:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darktime @ Apr 25 2010, 09:38 AM) *
I hope no one thinks I was trying to be rude when I put this up what I was hoping for was that the instructors might have some footage from lessons/gigs that they thought was funny I know its all apart of a performance but sometimes things get done again cos of a bum note I just wondered if there were any outtakes cos of bum faces lol

No offense taken at all man, i'm just sharing my own personal thing, but i know exactly what you mean smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Apr 26 2010, 02:22 AM
Lessons are meant to be useful and teachful. It would be quite bizarre to be headbanging on a lesson when you're trying to explain or show something

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Apr 26 2010, 03:47 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I think a teacher has to demonstrate that the lesson is, "doable." A performer has to have that, "I'm AWESOME," quality to a lick or riff. Showmanship vs demonstration. Both are significant artforms.

edited for implied swearing.
tonymiro - on behalf of the moderating team

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Apr 26 2010, 10:33 AM

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Staffy
Apr 26 2010, 08:01 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Apr 26 2010, 04:47 AM) *
I think a teacher has to demonstrate that the lesson is, "doable." A performer has to have that, "I'm AWESOME," quality to a lick or riff. Showmanship vs demonstration. Both are significant artforms.

+1 Here's where "Pedagogically" vs. "Attitude" really matters! Oooopsss.... I said the forbidden word...... tongue.gif

//Staffay

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Apr 26 2010, 10:34 AM

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Apr 26 2010, 11:49 AM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
When you play something wholehearedly, and you actually forget everything else, just you and your emotions remain. The instrument becomes a part of your body, and you begin expressing emotions with your face as well smile.gif

What do you think, why can't my face be seen in my vids? :DDDD

It's not possibleto play Pantera or Metallica solos without face expressions biggrin.gif Not to mention Zakk Wylde, hehe biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 26 2010, 07:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Zsolt Galambos @ Apr 26 2010, 12:49 PM) *
When you play something wholehearedly, and you actually forget everything else, just you and your emotions remain. The instrument becomes a part of your body, and you begin expressing emotions with your face as well smile.gif

What do you think, why can't my face be seen in my vids? :DDDD

It's not possibleto play Pantera or Metallica solos without face expressions biggrin.gif Not to mention Zakk Wylde, hehe biggrin.gif

It would definitely feel strange to see a completely still player doing that I agree! biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:38 PM