Help!
Blaze
Apr 24 2008, 10:46 PM
GMC:er
Ive been playing about a year nowand have made some good progress but I've started to notice lately my picking arm, when playing slow moderate or fast tempos, is uncofortable/tense. It's getting on my nerves when playing and I fell it's holding my playing back.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can make my picking arm more comfy? tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Apr 24 2008, 10:51 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Do you pick with wrist movements? or do you pick by anchoring your fingers to the fretboard and using the arm motion to pick?

If either is giving you discomfort then you may want to try out the other type- not permanantly, but just to see if you are more suited to it.

Another thing to pay attention to is that sometimes when we think "go fast go now go go" our arm automatically tenses up..it takes a lot of practise to stay relaxed at slow speeds while playing then slowly building up speeds so that you stay relaxed when playing fast.

If all else fails- you may not be comfortable with your guitar- try another and find out ! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 24 2008, 11:16 PM
Instructor
My best advice that I can give you is to stop practicing when the hand feels tensed. This way your brain is not memorizing the tensed up actions but only the proper ones.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Blaze
Apr 24 2008, 11:18 PM
Thats the thing though its not my hand or forearm its like the upper part of my arm past the elbow and its my shoulder.

This post has been edited by Blaze: Apr 24 2008, 11:19 PM

+Quote Post
JensN
Apr 25 2008, 09:24 AM
QUOTE (Blaze @ Apr 25 2008, 12:18 AM) *
Thats the thing though its not my hand or forearm its like the upper part of my arm past the elbow and its my shoulder.

Maybe you have the same tendency as I do. I often find myself kinda pull my shoulders up when I try to play things I find a bit difficult. It's become much less often since I became aware of it, but I still has to consciously remind myself to relax my shoulders now and then. Also, make sure you sit or stand with a straight back might help.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 25 2008, 08:54 PM
Instructor
you have to take a rest and do some little sport exercises to your hand and fingers

+Quote Post
Blaze
Apr 25 2008, 11:03 PM
I think ive found the problem laugh.gif

Basically I had recently changed to anchoring instead of the ol' floating hand, so today I went back to it the result was mcuh better and less tension/more comfort. So case shut it would seem tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 26 2008, 10:22 AM
Instructor
nice to hear that you found the problem .

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 26 2008, 05:59 PM
Instructor
I'm glad you solved the problem, anchoring the hand is most of the time a wrong way to go smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:12 AM