Gmc Advanced Lesson Search, Do you use it - what do you think about it?
GMC advanced search
What do you think about the advanced search?
It's good and handy [ 19 ] ** [48.72%]
It's good but a little tricky [ 11 ] ** [28.21%]
It seems broken [ 4 ] ** [10.26%]
I haven't tried it yet [ 5 ] ** [12.82%]
Total Votes: 39
Guests cannot vote 
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 6 2008, 08:12 PM
GMC Founder
Once we are finished with the everlasting project of implementing the new lesson player (and the invisible instructor system behind it) I hope we will be able to proceed to improving some other things on the site.

You do us a great favor by sharing your opinion about the advanced search in this thread - what do you think about the advanced video lesson search, how can we improve it? Does it help you find suitable lessons?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Nov 6 2008, 08:22 PM
GMC:er
To be honest I don't use, I know its there, and I have tried to use it... but I find it more effective to use the normal search...

but I could understand why people would like it smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
Tolek
Nov 6 2008, 08:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
The advanced search is pretty ok, the only issue is that every time I return from a lesson to the search (by clicking the return button) I land on the first page of the results although I was on another page... That´s the only bad thing about it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 6 2008, 08:25 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Tolek @ Nov 6 2008, 10:23 PM) *
The advanced search is pretty ok, the only issue is that every time I return from a lesson to the search (by clicking the return button) I land on the first page of the results although I was on another page... That´s the only bad thing about it. smile.gif

Yes I agree - that's really not good, I hope we can get that fixed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Canis
Nov 6 2008, 08:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
I don't really use it that much... Mainly that I have my own system in my bookmarks to sort though most lessons I find interesting, but also it's a little creepy.. The only time I use it, is it I want to find all lessons that's a level 10 or something like that.
If it was reworked, I'm sure I would use it more often ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Capt.Z
Nov 6 2008, 08:33 PM
QUOTE (Tolek @ Nov 6 2008, 02:23 PM) *

Exactly!! biggrin.gif The same thing happens every time!! It gets pretty irritating after a couple hundred
times!! laugh.gif

--------------------

GMC IS TIGHT DAWG

+Quote Post
Matt23
Nov 6 2008, 09:02 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
It is very good and I do use it a lot smile.gif , but there's 2 things I would change. First I would bring back the "Metal" and "Rock" search categories and don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you get rid of the new sub-genres, they're very useful, but for just browsing sometimes I like to do a big search and quickly scan down the list, instead of doing lots of little searches, if i.e. i wanted a metal lesson of any sub-genre. Also I would have the option to search more than one thing. For instance if I wanted a lesson of a 5 difficulty, and I liked Metal, Rock and Blues, and wanted a Solo or Acoustic lesson, I could just search for these things.

This post has been edited by Matt23: Nov 6 2008, 09:04 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 6 2008, 09:31 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Nov 6 2008, 11:02 PM) *
It is very good and I do use it a lot smile.gif , but there's 2 things I would change. First I would bring back the "Metal" and "Rock" search categories and don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you get rid of the new sub-genres, they're very useful, but for just browsing sometimes I like to do a big search and quickly scan down the list, instead of doing lots of little searches, if i.e. i wanted a metal lesson of any sub-genre. Also I would have the option to search more than one thing. For instance if I wanted a lesson of a 5 difficulty, and I liked Metal, Rock and Blues, and wanted a Solo or Acoustic lesson, I could just search for these things.

Thanks for the great feedback - I hadn't thought about this!

--------------------

+Quote Post
superize
Nov 6 2008, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I havent really used it that much

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Nov 7 2008, 12:11 AM
i use it.. its nice.. but its easier just to do general searches and look at lots of lessons smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Nov 7 2008, 01:18 AM
I use it alot - It is pretty much the only way I search, As I filter out alot by Difficulty Level. One thing I would change is I would put a "Get Results" button that you have to click in order to start the search rather than have it initiate the search automatically once you change one of the variables(Such as sort by Instructor) like it does now- Hopefully this is clear. I seem to lock up the system on my searches alot because I want to change some of the variables, but it has automatically started a search already due to my previous search has been initiated

However, I think the search function is only as good as the data it is searching - seems like many of the lessons are miscatagorized(Such as technique, style tags, etc) I come accross many where this info has been left blank. This is really apparant when you use the List feature(which I use alot).

Don't get me wrong, I can get around in it the way it is - I just think this would help since the number of lessons is growing massively.

Although the search function is important, I would rather see some updates first to the My Bookmarks menu - Ability to organize in subfolders, add personalized titles, notes etc for organizational reasons Mine keeps getting massive because I keep adding lessons I come across that don't want to forget about, but then it gets too big, so I copy the lesson names to my Practice Agenda(cut and paste), then delete them all off of my Bookmarks menu with the intention of keepinf 1 or 2 currrent lessons - A few weeks later I am doing the same thing. Maybe the Practice Agenda and Bookmarks feature could be merged, or ability to create a personalized start/home page with the info on it.

GMC just keeps getting better

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Nov 7 2008, 02:28 AM
I said broken. Often when Im using the feature, and Im going onto the multiple lesson pages. I get only the picture of some lessons and not what the lesson is, just the picture of the lesson. It has alot of little bugs for me.

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 7 2008, 08:56 AM
GMC Founder
@ Guitar1969

Agreed - the categorizing must get better - and it will. Hopefully we will be able to tag a lesson with various techniques (we need to adjust the system a little for that) - also we will hopefully be able to get more administrative people helping us with the quality of the categorizing!

QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Nov 7 2008, 04:28 AM) *
I said broken. Often when Im using the feature, and Im going onto the multiple lesson pages. I get only the picture of some lessons and not what the lesson is, just the picture of the lesson. It has alot of little bugs for me.

Aha! Can you let us know what browser (and version) you are using?

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Nov 7 2008, 01:21 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I guess it could be interesting to get feedback especially from new members as they need to find there way through this massive amount of lessons.

I don't use the advanced search function that much. I follow quite regular which new lessons are published and remember in most cases for which instructor i have to look for to find this lesson back. For me the instructor profile page is a really helpful personal search function.

QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Nov 7 2008, 01:18 AM) *
Although the search function is important, I would rather see some updates first to the My Bookmarks menu - Ability to organize in subfolders, add personalized titles, notes etc for organizational reasons Mine keeps getting massive because I keep adding lessons I come across that don't want to forget about, but then it gets too big, so I copy the lesson names to my Practice Agenda(cut and paste), then delete them all off of my Bookmarks menu with the intention of keepinf 1 or 2 currrent lessons - A few weeks later I am doing the same thing. Maybe the Practice Agenda and Bookmarks feature could be merged, or ability to create a personalized start/home page with the info on it.

I agree completely here with you, "My Bookmarks" is easily too long. Your suggestions are great to organize lessons in subfolders and leave notes. I have though about it as well to merge Practice Agenda and Bookmarks, this would make sense and would be a really useful feature.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 7 2008, 09:50 PM
Instructor
Looks like big changes are coming, awesome work GMC management.

PS I use advanced search on GMC quite often, it is good.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kclancy
Nov 7 2008, 11:32 PM
Now that I know it is there and how to use it, it seems to work pretty good for me. One caveat, I have only been using it for one day.

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Nov 8 2008, 03:28 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I use it a lot. It is the best way to eliminate the lessons that are categorized as too difficult for me at this time. I just do a search for 1-3 or 4 difficulty and see what is there. It would be nice if every lesson had the difficulty number in the title too.

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Skalde
Nov 8 2008, 11:45 AM
Learning Roadie
To be honest the only reason why I use it, is to see what difficulty the lessons is rated. The difficulty should be displayed in the lesson.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 13 2008, 05:15 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I like it, but there is one thingy. Also, Skalde said some true words above tongue.gif

If you need to change, say two parameters, after changing the first, the search starts loading, but you haven't changed the second! I think it'd be better if you could push a Search button, so not automatic!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:46 AM