Metal Composition, feedback request
Unleech
Sep 22 2013, 12:59 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey guys,

I have composed a song over the last few days. It's a metal song.
It's only a draft, don't pay attention to the recording quality, mix, settings and so on...

I think I begin to have my own style, and succeed in making a structured and non-too-much-repetitive song (which was one of the main points I wanted to improve). I am quite satisfied with that one, but I am looking for advice!
I would really appreciate having your feedback on the composition in itself, the structure, etc... Don't hesitate to criticize, that's what I am looking for!

Thank you in advance!

Edit:
Here is the last version :
Attached File  compo_02132_2109_5.mp3 ( 16.86MB ) Number of downloads: 231

https://www.dropbox.com/s/971injabpfhdqc6/c...%202109%205.mp3

Unleech

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Unleech: Sep 22 2013, 04:47 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Ben Higgins
Sep 22 2013, 01:26 PM
Instructor
Downloaded the file but can't play it for some reason.. I'll keep trying and let you know if I can hear it and have any feedback.

It's quite a small file so you could upload it to the forum if you want to.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Unleech
Sep 22 2013, 01:33 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 22 2013, 02:26 PM) *
Downloaded the file but can't play it for some reason.. I'll keep trying and let you know if I can hear it and have any feedback.

It's quite a small file so you could upload it to the forum if you want to.

Oh, I don't know why!
I've uploaded it here.

Attached File  compo_02132_2109_4.mp3 ( 16.13MB ) Number of downloads: 128

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Sep 22 2013, 02:21 PM
GMC:er
I think it's a very nice metal track. The only thing I can think of are some stylistic flares, a few slides and pinch harmonics(very sparse tho) at places to sort of distinguish between variations and so on.

The only thing that sounds a bit odd to me is the movement in the 4:59 - 5:28 section is so much longer than the riff following it. I really like both sections but I think maybe experiment with the solo backing riff that comes after it if you also feel that way. If you don't then I'd just double track this bad boy and get to the mixing table!

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Unleech
Sep 22 2013, 02:25 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (verciazghra @ Sep 22 2013, 03:21 PM) *
I think it's a very nice metal track. The only thing I can think of are some stylistic flares, a few slides and pinch harmonics(very sparse tho) at places to sort of distinguish between variations and so on.

The only thing that sounds a bit odd to me is the movement in the 4:59 - 5:28 section is so much longer than the riff following it. I really like both sections but I think maybe experiment with the solo backing riff that comes after it if you also feel that way. If you don't then I'd just double track this bad boy and get to the mixing table!

Thanks for the feedback bro.
I was already told that this part may have something missing.

However, I don't really get what you suggest me, with the rythm part following.
And what do you suggest double tracking?

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Sep 22 2013, 02:44 PM
QUOTE (Unleech @ Sep 22 2013, 01:25 PM) *
Thanks for the feedback bro.
I was already told that this part may have something missing.

However, I don't really get what you suggest me, with the rythm part following.
And what do you suggest double tracking?

Well doubletracking is just a recording/mixing thing and you didn't want that kind of feedback so I refrained from starting by saying that. The first and most parts would sound much better if it sounded like two guitars i.e you record the part twice and pan them left right, that's called doubletracking.

For the rhythm part to sound as good as possible (for me personally, this is all about taste) I would do something like this.

Or any other, notice that it's twice as long as your first one, that is because of the relative length of the previous section and the harmonic content contained within it. 4.59-5.26.

Now this IS just my personal preference so if you don't agree, don't even consider it!

(EDIT also if you're playing a 7 string guitar any other harmonic shift in this riff would work just as well providing you like it!)

This post has been edited by verciazghra: Sep 22 2013, 02:45 PM

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

+Quote Post
Unleech
Sep 22 2013, 02:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (verciazghra @ Sep 22 2013, 03:44 PM) *
Well doubletracking is just a recording/mixing thing and you didn't want that kind of feedback so I refrained from starting by saying that. The first and most parts would sound much better if it sounded like two guitars i.e you record the part twice and pan them left right, that's called doubletracking.

For the rhythm part to sound as good as possible (for me personally, this is all about taste) I would do something like this.

Or any other, notice that it's twice as long as your first one, that is because of the relative length of the previous section and the harmonic content contained within it. 4.59-5.26.

Now this IS just my personal preference so if you don't agree, don't even consider it!

(EDIT also if you're playing a 7 string guitar any other harmonic shift in this riff would work just as well providing you like it!)

Ok, thanks !
Could you upload the tab please? I'd prefer to hear it, rather than translating your 8 string tongue.gif

I know what double tracking is, What I didn't understand was the reason you told me that, because it is already double tracked!

EDIT

BTW I recorded this track with a 6 string drop C guitar, but anyway I am interested by your idea. Gonna see how to turn it!

This post has been edited by Unleech: Sep 22 2013, 02:53 PM

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Sep 22 2013, 02:52 PM
QUOTE (Unleech @ Sep 22 2013, 01:49 PM) *
Ok, thanks !
Could you upload the tab please? I'd prefer to hear it, rather than translating your 8 string tongue.gif

I know what double tracking is, What I didn't understand was the reason you told me that, because it is already double tracked!

Sure, did you do two separate takes tho? I did hear that it is doubletracked but I thought you did a "quick" doubletrack with a duplicated track. It gives a whole new feel if you record it twice(maybe you've done that and my ears are decieving me), if so that's great!

Yea that's just a nutter idea then cause I used almost the full range of an 8 string to go that deep. The idea is simply to keep the outlined progression of the riff moving a little bit longer to allow for more coherency and also more interesting to solo over.

This post has been edited by verciazghra: Sep 22 2013, 02:55 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  comp_5.26.gpx ( 16.49K ) Number of downloads: 89

--------------------

+Quote Post
Unleech
Sep 22 2013, 02:54 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (verciazghra @ Sep 22 2013, 03:52 PM) *
Sure, did you do two separate takes tho? I did hear that it is doubletracked but I thought you did a "quick" doubletrack with a duplicated track. It gives a whole new feel if you record it twice(maybe you've done that and my ears are decieving me), if so that's great!

Thx for the tab !
Don't remember, I think I recorded it twice. But anyway, I didn't aim at having a clear recording, that will be for later smile.gif

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Sep 22 2013, 02:56 PM
QUOTE (Unleech @ Sep 22 2013, 01:54 PM) *
Thx for the tab !
Don't remember, I think I recorded it twice. But anyway, I didn't aim at having a clear recording, that will be for later smile.gif

Cool man, I really like the track and I think with the right production and recording it will be a classic(it's that good).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Unleech
Sep 22 2013, 03:01 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (verciazghra @ Sep 22 2013, 03:56 PM) *
Cool man, I really like the track and I think with the right production and recording it will be a classic(it's that good).

Thank you man, really appreciate smile.gif
It must be the one I am the most satisfied of so far ^^

QUOTE (Unleech @ Sep 22 2013, 04:00 PM) *

Fuck I broke a string. Too much brootality ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Unleech
Sep 22 2013, 03:45 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Unleech @ Sep 22 2013, 04:01 PM) *

Fuck I broke a string. Too much brootality ! biggrin.gif

What about that?
Attached File  compo_02132_2109_solo_correction.mp3 ( 3.24MB ) Number of downloads: 125

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Sep 22 2013, 04:03 PM
QUOTE (Unleech @ Sep 22 2013, 02:45 PM) *
What about that?
Attached File  compo_02132_2109_solo_correction.mp3 ( 3.24MB ) Number of downloads: 125

Very nice! I like it a lot! Your solo sounds a little like Muhammed Suiçmez(Necrophagist) which I find AWESOME! I like the backing riff better like this!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Unleech
Sep 22 2013, 04:19 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (verciazghra @ Sep 22 2013, 05:03 PM) *
Very nice! I like it a lot! Your solo sounds a little like Muhammed Suiçmez(Necrophagist) which I find AWESOME! I like the backing riff better like this!

Yeah, I like it too better. Thank you for the suggestion smile.gif

ahah yeah, in fact, I love christian muenzner soloing, and I learnt some solos from Obscura. Muenzner is a former Necrophagist member (and he made some somos in the band).
I love his kind of soloing, with much tapping and very melodic pieces. I try to inspire my solos from him, among others ^^

This post has been edited by Unleech: Sep 22 2013, 04:20 PM

+Quote Post
Unleech
Sep 22 2013, 04:48 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Unleech @ Sep 22 2013, 05:19 PM) *
Yeah, I like it too better. Thank you for the suggestion smile.gif

ahah yeah, in fact, I love christian muenzner soloing, and I learnt some solos from Obscura. Muenzner is a former Necrophagist member (and he made some somos in the band).
I love his kind of soloing, with much tapping and very melodic pieces. I try to inspire my solos from him, among others ^^

I edited the first post with the last version of the song.
I've brought several other little modifications.

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Sep 22 2013, 05:56 PM
QUOTE (Unleech @ Sep 22 2013, 03:48 PM) *
I edited the first post with the last version of the song.
I've brought several other little modifications.

Very cool, definately a killer track. LOVE your use of electronic instruments too. Very fresh sounding.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Unleech
Sep 22 2013, 07:05 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (verciazghra @ Sep 22 2013, 06:56 PM) *
Very cool, definately a killer track. LOVE your use of electronic instruments too. Very fresh sounding.

Thanks bro I honestly very appreciate smile.gif smile.gif

However, I only put synth in the break before solos. In general there is synth everywhere in my compositions, but not in that one, but maybe I'll change that! The other "weird sounding" things, are clean guitar with tremolo and other weird effects.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 23 2013, 12:46 AM
Instructor
I'll listen to it a few times more. The whole idea is quite nice but leave a feeling like it's a puzzle made of a few different riffs. Something is missing. Also the mix sound very sterile. You could mess a bit more with some reverbs. I know there are some already but the "stage" feeling is unpresent in this mix. Try to think about it smile.gif Anyway - cool ideas and the track is enjoyable smile.gif

+Quote Post
Unleech
Sep 23 2013, 07:11 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Sep 23 2013, 01:46 AM) *
I'll listen to it a few times more. The whole idea is quite nice but leave a feeling like it's a puzzle made of a few different riffs. Something is missing. Also the mix sound very sterile. You could mess a bit more with some reverbs. I know there are some already but the "stage" feeling is unpresent in this mix. Try to think about it smile.gif Anyway - cool ideas and the track is enjoyable smile.gif

It is a quick draft, I didn't pay attention to the mixing and stuff. Please don't jusdge the mix, it is very sterile at the moment, I know.

I understand what you say by "puzzle", but in fact I quite like that. I could put more variations with the riffs coming back several time. Or put instead or several, other unique riffs.
I wait for more detailed criticize if you can!

Unleech

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 23 2013, 08:58 AM
Instructor
I too like the idea of puzzle riffs - reminds me of Meshuggah with a different stint, given by the lead parts - I really like the beginning leads - the thematic part and that tremolo part, but towards the middle, it tends to lose a bit of direction somewhat... I think that the leads should also sound more thematic and 'mechanized' if I may use such a word to describe the feeling - just like the ones in the beginning - they fit the scenery perfectly, in my opinion! This smells like a great job mate, keep at it and let's see a full song smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:40 PM