Stainless Steel Guitar Picks
Adam
Oct 1 2019, 04:22 PM
Learning Roadie
I've come across a bunch of cheap stainless steel picks made by Alice. I don't like their plastic picks but for the price, I'm inclined to try out these and see how it goes. I'm especially interested in how different it would sound compared to alu picks and I might end up gathering a bunch of picks and recording a comparison video.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I know there are claw-like tools for Acoustic guitar made of steel, so these can't be that bad, I hope. Reviews only say these are horrible with nylon strings smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Oct 1 2019, 11:07 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 1 2019, 04:22 PM) *
I've come across a bunch of cheap stainless steel picks made by Alice. I don't like their plastic picks but for the price, I'm inclined to try out these and see how it goes. I'm especially interested in how different it would sound compared to alu picks and I might end up gathering a bunch of picks and recording a comparison video.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I know there are claw-like tools for Acoustic guitar made of steel, so these can't be that bad, I hope. Reviews only say these are horrible with nylon strings smile.gif

not with these pick , but I have always found picks made out of harder materials than your strings, makes strings break more of the time

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 2 2019, 12:46 AM
GMC:er
I've used metal picks and they are fun smile.gif Makes great CHUNKY on the low strings. A very big metallic sound.
QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 1 2019, 11:22 AM) *

+Quote Post
Adam
Oct 2 2019, 10:45 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Oct 1 2019, 11:07 PM) *
not with these pick , but I have always found picks made out of harder materials than your strings, makes strings break more of the time

I've been using Dunlop's alu pick for a few months and no issues with strings breaking, so I don't know on what it depends.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 2 2019, 12:46 AM) *
I've used metal picks and they are fun smile.gif Makes great CHUNKY on the low strings. A very big metallic sound.

Steel shouldn't be much different than aluminum, so they should be fine. They will arrive in less than 2 months but I'm not in a hurry or anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 3 2019, 03:02 AM
Very similar in sound to my vonhotch picks. A bit of squeak depending on angle, but very solid sound during muting.
QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 2 2019, 05:45 PM) *
I've been using Dunlop's alu pick for a few months and no issues with strings breaking, so I don't know on what it depends.

Steel shouldn't be much different than aluminum, so they should be fine. They will arrive in less than 2 months but I'm not in a hurry or anything.

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 11 2019, 09:15 AM
Learning Roadie
I came home from night shift and found a package in the mailbox. The picks have arrived and they are completely different from anything I've tried so far. It's a completely different experience than Tortex, Dunlop's Alu picks and the Von Hotch pick. I could only play it unplugged, so I have yet to see how these sound through a proper amp section.

My first impression is "something different". It's way too early to make judgement but I might have to sand the picking part and see if that improves the grip (not that it slips out or something).

The other thing is: they are a bit punishing when playing on the wound strings at an angle - there's a distinct attack that neither Von Hotch nor Dunlops have and I'll have to take some time and find my way around it.

The good thing is, they were insanely cheap, including the shipping which was free for packages this size. If I end up liking them, I might order more. I've already ordered a few items directly from the producer, skipping re-branding and the cut that a GC gets from sale and I'm starting to feel like we're being continuously ripped off by the big companies (most of their stuff is made in Asia by sub-contractors anyway). It's also a reason I gave up on the SD pickup I was aiming for.

Some things are of simple construction and are nearly impossible to mess up but I gotta say that Asia is becoming quite the challenge for Western manufacturers. Give it a few years and they will release a high-end gear too. They already make affordable and functional copies and they probably learn while doing so.

Anyway, I'll try shooting a demo if I can and compare all pick types I have, including the new ones as soon as I have some time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 11 2019, 10:28 PM
Try them on Quick Licks and Bootcamp and see how they compare to your regular picks. You have a pretty good idea of how regular picks work on these drills. if these news ones work better it could be a good thing smile.gif I love my VONHOTCH picks which are sorta similar but very much more pointy.

QUOTE (Adam @ Nov 11 2019, 04:15 AM) *
I came home from night shift and found a package in the mailbox. The picks have arrived and they are completely different from anything I've tried so far. It's a completely different experience than Tortex, Dunlop's Alu picks and the Von Hotch pick. I could only play it unplugged, so I have yet to see how these sound through a proper amp section.

My first impression is "something different". It's way too early to make judgement but I might have to sand the picking part and see if that improves the grip (not that it slips out or something).

The other thing is: they are a bit punishing when playing on the wound strings at an angle - there's a distinct attack that neither Von Hotch nor Dunlops have and I'll have to take some time and find my way around it.

The good thing is, they were insanely cheap, including the shipping which was free for packages this size. If I end up liking them, I might order more. I've already ordered a few items directly from the producer, skipping re-branding and the cut that a GC gets from sale and I'm starting to feel like we're being continuously ripped off by the big companies (most of their stuff is made in Asia by sub-contractors anyway). It's also a reason I gave up on the SD pickup I was aiming for.

Some things are of simple construction and are nearly impossible to mess up but I gotta say that Asia is becoming quite the challenge for Western manufacturers. Give it a few years and they will release a high-end gear too. They already make affordable and functional copies and they probably learn while doing so.

Anyway, I'll try shooting a demo if I can and compare all pick types I have, including the new ones as soon as I have some time.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:43 AM