Winger Channeling Dream Theatre?
Todd Simpson
Apr 10 2014, 12:16 AM
GMC:er
So it looks like winger are not in fact dead, but have new music out and it sorta reminds me in bits of Dream Theatre? NOT TO COMPARE DIRECTLY OF COURSE smile.gif Winger are NOT Dream Theatre. Just that the overall vibe has a "Proggy" element to it and a distinct lack of CHEEEESSEEE. Not bad guys smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 10 2014, 02:11 AM
Not familiar with the band but I think they experimented minimalism as a riff, less complex compared to DT to me.

DT usually reaches more impressionist harmony and sometimes form (in their early to mid era, personally don't like whats going on since portnoy left...) to make things interesting but keeps a typical rock riff.

Although not for me, its not a bad idea at all. Will check the other tracks as usually the best songs in an album doesn't get video promotion biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Apr 10 2014, 04:52 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
This is actually surprisingly good. I think that back in the 80's Winger were pushed by their label to adopt a more commercial sound, because that is what sold the most albums. Now that they're probably on their own, they have more liberty with their music than they ever did.

I've never really cared for Winger, but this is actually quite a departure than what they have done in the past. Thanks for sharing biggrin.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 10 2014, 04:06 PM
Learning Roadie
I guess it's quite a departure from 80's winger but they were young and it was the 80's, Kip has been composing symphonic pieces since they broke up and continued his classical music studies

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 10 2014, 05:25 PM
Instructor
This sounds very interesting! I knew this band by name but I don't remember listening to it when I was more into 80's hard rock. I decided to search a bit about them and I find a "criticism" paragraph at wiki that put me a bit sad about them...

"Criticism[edit]
Winger was the subject of constant ridicule in MTV's animated series Beavis and Butt-head during the mid-1990s. The neighbor boy Stewart, who was always trying to be accepted by Beavis and Butt-head, was usually depicted wearing a Winger T-shirt, as opposed to the Metallica and AC/DC shirts worn by the title characters. Beavis and Butt-head thought of them as "wussies", belittling their videos — especially the "Seventeen" video. According to the documentary Taint of Greatness: Part 2 on the Mike Judge Collection Volume 2 DVD, this was due to Kip Winger telling MTV he would not let the show make fun of him. In a 2005 interview, Reb Beach said that this treatment on a popular cartoon caused a decline in popularity for Winger:

So we released the record and went out on the road and that's when the floor fell out from under us practically overnight. Some guy came to the bus with a copy of Beavis and Butt-head and in it they hung a nerd up by his underwear while he wore his Winger T-shirt. They went to his house, and his loser family (including the dog) were all wearing Winger T-shirts. That week people stopped coming to our shows and record sales came to a screeching halt. "Down Incognito" was taking off at radio when DJs just dropped it from their playlists because they were too embarrassed to have their station associated with it. A month later I called Atlantic Records and they had never heard of Winger.[11]
Mike Judge continued to mock Winger in his next animated series King of the Hill, as the character of John Redcorn was a former roadie for the band until embarking on a Native American vision quest, where he discovered that "wrangling groupies for Winger was not my proper life path".

In a 2010 interview with Eddie Trunk on That Metal Show, Kip himself denounced the rumor that he told MTV to not make fun of him. In August 2011, Mike Judge stated in an interview with Billboard: "I thought [Kip Winger] had a problem with the show, but it turns out he was OK with it", Judge told Billboard.biz. "We tried other bands [logos] but nothing worked as well [as the originals]".[12]

Winger/Metallica friction[edit]
About this same time, Lars Ulrich of the band Metallica could be seen throwing a dart on a poster of Kip Winger in the video for "Nothing Else Matters". When asked about this, Kip Winger once stated: "Our band was known to musicians, and a lot of musicians showed up to see me play — watching, trying to figure out how I'm playing —, we were like the 'hair band' [version of] Dream Theater [...] That is why it's the great irony that we ended up on that geeky guy's shirt on Beavis & Butt-head, because Metallica couldn't play what we play, they couldn't do it, they literally — technically — couldn't do it. And I'll challenge those chumps to that any day of the week, but we could play their music with our hands tied behind our back. And so, I was a little teed off about that, but in the end, none of that shit matters..."[13]"

from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winger_(band)

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 10 2014, 11:51 PM
WINGER were the "Poster Children" for everything wrong with 80's metal and were really beaten up for it. Here is the tune that started it all for them smile.gif It's a great contrast to this tune.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 9 2014, 09:11 PM) *
Not familiar with the band but I think they experimented minimalism as a riff, less complex compared to DT to me.

DT usually reaches more impressionist harmony and sometimes form (in their early to mid era, personally don't like whats going on since portnoy left...) to make things interesting but keeps a typical rock riff.

Although not for me, its not a bad idea at all. Will check the other tracks as usually the best songs in an album doesn't get video promotion biggrin.gif

It really is a big depature eh? I gotta say I wish they were doing this sort of thing all along, but hey it was the 80's right?

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Apr 9 2014, 11:52 PM) *
This is actually surprisingly good. I think that back in the 80's Winger were pushed by their label to adopt a more commercial sound, because that is what sold the most albums. Now that they're probably on their own, they have more liberty with their music than they ever did.

I've never really cared for Winger, but this is actually quite a departure than what they have done in the past. Thanks for sharing biggrin.gif

BINGO!!!! That's why I share this vid smile.gif They were beaten to death and nearly all went homeless after being mocked relentlessly. They barely survived it. They went from being the "it" pop metal band to being a HUGE joke in about one week. A great cautionary tale. NEVER play in to what you think it "in". ALWAYS play just to play and make music you would listen to, not music you think might appeal to the audience. Pandering to the audience results in "wingerdom" smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 10 2014, 12:25 PM) *
This sounds very interesting! I knew this band by name but I don't remember listening to it when I was more into 80's hard rock. I decided to search a bit about them and I find a "criticism" paragraph at wiki that put me a bit sad about them...

"Criticism[edit]
Winger was the subject of constant ridicule in MTV's animated series Beavis and Butt-head during the mid-1990s. The neighbor boy..our hands tied behind our back. And so, I was a little teed off about that, but in the end, none of that shit matters..."[13]"

from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winger_(band)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 11 2014, 04:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 10 2014, 07:51 PM) *
BINGO!!!! That's why I share this vid smile.gif They were beaten to death and nearly all went homeless after being mocked relentlessly. They barely survived it. They went from being the "it" pop metal band to being a HUGE joke in about one week. A great cautionary tale. NEVER play in to what you think it "in". ALWAYS play just to play and make music you would listen to, not music you think might appeal to the audience. Pandering to the audience results in "wingerdom" smile.gif

yeah, this is a great example for the topic that we are discussing at this thread: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=51823

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 11 2014, 06:54 PM
My Perhipery drummer talking about the biz post!! yup wink.gif Good call!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 11 2014, 11:58 AM) *
yeah, this is a great example for the topic that we are discussing at this thread: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=51823

+Quote Post
waynedcoville
Apr 11 2014, 07:56 PM
i'm actually kind of surprised they came out of hiding. kip and friends were the butt of many a joke about terribly cheesy 80's glam rock. just cheesy enough to fit in but not as showboaty as Poison or Enuff Z Nuff (remember Enuff Z Nuff? yeah me neither). on the Beavis & Butthead show, the loser kid, Stewart, wore a winger shirt. and since the Beavis & Butthead was such a highly influential gauge of the socio-political climate of the time, it can be further deduced that Winger sucks

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 16 2014, 05:00 AM
That was the vibe I was talking about in the first post smile.gif That Winger were the poster children for everything that was wrong about 80s metal. It seems like they have finally grown up a bit and are playing to their long suit. After all the actual members are all gifted musicians. It takes real stones to come out with something like this knowing how badly people hated the band. It was a bold move and I salute them for it. The music is actually pretty good and make we wish they would have started out this way and not become the butt of every 80s glam metal joke.

QUOTE (waynedcoville @ Apr 11 2014, 02:56 PM) *
i'm actually kind of surprised they came out of hiding. kip and friends were the butt of many a joke about terribly cheesy 80's glam rock. just cheesy enough to fit in but not as showboaty as Poison or Enuff Z Nuff (remember Enuff Z Nuff? yeah me neither). on the Beavis & Butthead show, the loser kid, Stewart, wore a winger shirt. and since the Beavis & Butthead was such a highly influential gauge of the socio-political climate of the time, it can be further deduced that Winger sucks

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:32 PM