Silence Followed By A Deafening Roar, Paul Gilbert
InstruMental Cas...
Jan 24 2008, 06:36 PM
GMC:er
I can die a happy man now...

Just as I was getting sick of G.O.O.M.Y. (Get Out of My Yard - simply because I'd listened to it at least once every two day's since last August), S.F.B.A.D.R. arrived (all the way from Tokyo, Japan) to my doorstep this morning.

Long review short: GREATEST. ALBUM. EVER.

... or one of the greatest at the very least. Paul is just at the absolute top of his game on this CD. The main Metal-style track - "The Gargoyle" - puts bands like Dragonforce to shame. That doesn't surprise me though, because Dragonforce already sucked. What does surprise me is how Paul's style has changed on this album. It's still hard rock meets classical shred, but many of the tracks actually have a lot of focus on slower melody-based playing - kind of like Vai / Satriani.

Paul talks about this in the liner notes. His goal starting out was to just do more hard rhythms and cool fast leads like his last album, but then he started writing songs by making backings and recording himself improv. humming over them until he found melodies that he liked, then he'd figure them out on the guitar and spice them up with all the usual trimmings.

The result is 11 really fun songs with tons of great licks, new Gilbert-isms, and cool live effects! Great tone, great energy, and the most interesting playing Paul has ever recorded (it's flashy, but most of all it fits the songs better than ever)!

"Eudaimonia Overture" live at NAMM '08:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFlFOct-EjE

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by InstruMental Case: Jan 24 2008, 06:55 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gen
Jan 24 2008, 06:46 PM
I cant wait to get it!!!
Just gotta find a way to order it... dry.gif
Cool review, it seems really awesome smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Fact is, nothing in the world bores me more than gear...If I played thru your rig, I would still sound like me. Van Halen would sound like Van Halen. Brian May...etc. Very early in my career I decided to focus on creating music and not being a guitar tech. Being a good guitar tech is a very different and extremely difficult job, so why not leave it to a pro?"

Marty Friedman -

Guitars: ESP LTD viper-500, a fake strat and an acoustic guitar( dont know the brand)
Amp: Randall RX20R
Effects: Boss mt 2 distortion pedal, Line 6 pod floor plus

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
Jan 24 2008, 06:57 PM
Check on Ebay, or:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=IECP-10136

CDJapan is where I got mine. But it looks like they sold out of the first pressing (which comes with this great poster), so try to get it on eBay with the poster. It'll probably cost around $40.

+Quote Post
Gen
Jan 24 2008, 07:09 PM
QUOTE (InstruMental Case @ Jan 24 2008, 08:57 PM) *
Check on Ebay, or:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=IECP-10136

CDJapan is where I got mine. But it looks like they sold out of the first pressing (which comes with this great poster), so try to get it on eBay with the poster. It'll probably cost around $40.

I ll see what i can do about that, now im gonna do all to get that poster aswell, thanks for the info! smile.gif

--------------------
"Fact is, nothing in the world bores me more than gear...If I played thru your rig, I would still sound like me. Van Halen would sound like Van Halen. Brian May...etc. Very early in my career I decided to focus on creating music and not being a guitar tech. Being a good guitar tech is a very different and extremely difficult job, so why not leave it to a pro?"

Marty Friedman -

Guitars: ESP LTD viper-500, a fake strat and an acoustic guitar( dont know the brand)
Amp: Randall RX20R
Effects: Boss mt 2 distortion pedal, Line 6 pod floor plus

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jan 24 2008, 09:21 PM
because Dragonforce already sucked.

lol laugh.gif

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Jan 24 2008, 09:21 PM

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jan 25 2008, 01:33 AM
This is a big step for paul I felt, really seemed to be more structured solos in here, maybe just more tasteful to my ear, really good though!

tj

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Jan 25 2008, 07:55 PM
Instructor
WOW!! I Love Paul Gilbert!!!!!!!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ttask
Jan 31 2008, 02:42 PM
I received my copy yesterday and listened to it during the whole day. It is really an amazing record. For me, it's clearly one of Paul's best albums, with several incredible songs. I especially liked the Norwegian Cowbell, The Gargoyle, The Rhino and the title song, Silence Followed by a Deafening Roar. While trying to sleep this night, I couldn't stop thinking about the music, and I had to grab my iPod and play it to calm down. Still, it's important to note that this record is pretty different from the previous ones, with a slightly softer tone. Muris will have to make a third "in the style of Paul Gilbert" lesson I guess smile.gif

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jan 31 2008, 02:53 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Just got mine this morning- loving it!

lots of different feels, not sure if i like it over GOOMY though.

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
Feb 2 2008, 01:04 PM
Here's a wallpaper I made:

You'll need to size it to your specs of course.

+Quote Post
VinceG
Feb 2 2008, 04:44 PM
Is that his new guitar?

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
Feb 2 2008, 06:24 PM
Nope, but there is a new video up from Young Guitar Mag on YouTube where he shows his new personal PGM with all these mods.

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Feb 11 2008, 06:35 PM
My copy came in the mail today. One word: Awesomeness!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Mar 16 2008, 07:06 PM
lol me too! i was just gettin sick of that hurry up riff tongue.gif but i still listened to it so many times biggrin.gif the new album is immense!!

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Mar 17 2008, 11:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jan 24 2008, 09:21 PM) *
lol laugh.gif

+1

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Mar 20 2008, 10:22 PM
Instructor
Congrats for the record dude, this reminded me that I gotta check out more of Paul's stuff! smile.gif

QUOTE (InstruMental Case @ Feb 2 2008, 07:24 PM) *
Nope, but there is a new video up from Young Guitar Mag on YouTube where he shows his new personal PGM with all these mods.

Do you remember what the video was called? smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
Mar 20 2008, 10:37 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ldAw2pUWUqs

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:43 AM