Need To Know Please Help All Teachers With Pics, right hand position
ygro
Jan 15 2012, 08:15 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello, I have a telecaster 72 custom, for me a great guitar, I´m proud of it, it´s very beaytuful & think that sounds great (in hands of another guitarrist with more experience rolleyes.gif

well, the problem is that I want and I need to know how to put my forearm and my wirst and my fingers to play correctly. Need to know this to follow in the right direction.

the tele 72 has a special bridge

this is the bridge

I put there this part of my hand

usually this more the best stability to arpeggios etc, and I can mute easily the strings

I think this is not the correct form to do, because my arm a wirst are in angle (specially in the EAD strings)

I think this is the way to follow in this guitar...

BUT with this tecnique I lost a lot of stability and accuracy to attack the strings. My problem is with this kind of guitar, because usuallu all the videos are made with stratos o gibsons and They don´t have this kind of bridge.
I´ve seen guitarrists that use it´s litthe finger over the lower side of the bridge, and with this tecnique and the last pic could be a great way because I won a little stability...

need help to follow the right way & improve my style... please can the teachers give me some advices??? When I´ll know the answer begin to work hardly....

thanks laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ygro: Jan 15 2012, 08:16 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 15 2012, 08:42 PM
Instructor
Hi Ygro ! smile.gif

Now that I see the pic of the guitar I can understand your problem better ! That is an unusaul bridge isn't it ? huh.gif

The last photo you have of your picking hand is closer to the way that I play, however I let the side of my hand cover the strings a bit more to reduce string noise.

Here's how I rest my hand on the guitar

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=40433

My hand isn't parallel with the strings.. I have an angle and there is a slight gap between my wrist and upper forearm. Since that picture was taken I also rest my little finger on the bottom edge of the pickup surrounding cover. From that point I can use the side of my hand to rest on all 6 strings or I can lift them off if I need to smile.gif

Experiment and find the most comfortable position which also allows you to mute the strings well.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ygro
Jan 15 2012, 08:53 PM
yes, it´s a strange bridge, if I put my little finger at the bottom i win stability but I lost a lot of freedom movement
thanks!!!! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 15 2012, 09:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ygro @ Jan 15 2012, 07:53 PM) *
yes, it´s a strange bridge, if I put my little finger at the bottom i win stability but I lost a lot of freedom movement
thanks!!!! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

The good thing to remember is: You can keep the finger on the guitar for any smaller, intricate techniques and movements but you can always strum your hand freely anytime for open chords and more rock n' roll type riffs smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 15 2012, 10:34 PM
Instructor
hey mate! Nice guitar!! smile.gif I think that this pics could help...

Attached Image

Attached Image

I use the palm of my right hand to mute the strings that I'm note playing (mostly the lower strings) and also to play with palm muting when I need it.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 16 2012, 11:19 AM
Instructor
That's a normal vintage Tele bridge, nothing to be concerned about - it will be OK smile.gif

Gab's pictures pretty much explains it. Another thing I may add on his picture is that Gibson/Fender neck scale is a bit different, so on Fenders, when palm muting on the bridge, your picking point is slightly shifted to the left compared to Gibson.

For correct positioning try this:

- put out your picking hand as you are going to shake hands
- while keeping the thumb straight, bend other 4 fingers lightly, so their tips touch the center of the palm (keep them relaxed tho)
- put your pick in between thumb and index finger, so only the tip of it is seen
- move the picking hand towards your body
- use the side of your palm (side bellow your pinky finger) to palm mute the strings at the saddle point
- for optimal results, you should keep your forearm and wrist in the same straight line (no angle when you look from above)
- use up&down motion with the pick to pick the strings

Don't worry if it doesn't work in the beginning. This takes time to develop. It looks hard at first, but if you do it slowly, day by day, you will see progress quickly. Just try to follow these advices, and let us know how it goes! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jan 16 2012, 11:23 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jan 16 2012, 12:46 PM
Instructor
Besides good advices that you got here, you may be able to experiment a bit with the bridge - to cut the angle between the hand and wrist (the fourth picture),and got solid support for your palm ..

--------------------

+Quote Post
ygro
Jan 16 2012, 01:17 PM
thaks a lot!!!! ivan, my way to catch the pick was wrong!!!! (sorry for the english... is a new begginnig for me sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 16 2012, 01:30 PM
Instructor
Don't worry so much about it man smile.gif It'll be alright. I had unusual grip on the pick for several years, and it took me two years to change the grip. So, it's not a big problem, just start practicing properly right now, it'll be alright after a while. You will begin to see improvements right away, and complete change will happen in some time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 16 2012, 05:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 16 2012, 07:30 AM) *
Don't worry so much about it man smile.gif It'll be alright. I had unusual grip on the pick for several years, and it took me two years to change the grip. So, it's not a big problem, just start practicing properly right now, it'll be alright after a while. You will begin to see improvements right away, and complete change will happen in some time.

wow, 2 years to change a habit, that just goes to show how important and useful it can be to ask experienced players for advice on these topics,

I think myself I develop a technique using the arm too much and I got used to that a bit, sort of like Vinnie Moore's technique, but I can go pretty quick using it so it doesn't bother me too much

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 16 2012, 11:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ygro @ Jan 16 2012, 09:17 AM) *
thaks a lot!!!! ivan, my way to catch the pick was wrong!!!! (sorry for the english... is a new begginnig for me sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Wou! It's great that you could discover it! It will take some time to feel comfortable but it's not like starting from zero! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 16 2012, 11:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Jan 16 2012, 05:28 PM) *
wow, 2 years to change a habit, that just goes to show how important and useful it can be to ask experienced players for advice on these topics,

I think myself I develop a technique using the arm too much and I got used to that a bit, sort of like Vinnie Moore's technique, but I can go pretty quick using it so it doesn't bother me too much

Took me a while, but to completely shift. Of course, results were visible after couple of days already, so this is why I recommend to start right away.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:37 AM