2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Keystation 49e With Ezdrummer, Help please
thefireball
May 9 2011, 01:43 AM
Learning Roadie
I cannot figure out how to make my Keystation 49e to work with EZDrummer.
I've got EZDrummer to find the Keystation. I just can't figure out how to assign keys.

Help?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 9 2011, 08:17 AM
GMC Founder
I have never used keystation but I know that when you log in to your toontrack account there are template files for most DAWs - I don't know if there might be something for keystation as well (have no clue what that software is about)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
TylerT
May 9 2011, 10:06 AM
Guitar Hero
Hmm, I used to use EZDrummer a lot but never tried assigning it to my keyboard.

Now I use Superior Drummer and its VERY easy to map the midi to my keyboard (though i still dont like to use it). I also have an M-Audio keyboard (Oxygen) so the mapping would probably be the same.

This post has been edited by TylerT: May 9 2011, 12:01 PM

--------------------
My Website
My Youtube

Main Guitars:
- Agile Interceptor Pro 725
- EBMM John Petrucci Signature
- Axl Badwater

Amps/Effects:
- Avid Eleven Rack
- Hughes & Kettner Switchblade
- Pod X3 Live

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 9 2011, 10:22 AM
Instructor
The keys should already be assigned through GM map. What DAW software are you using?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 9 2011, 06:07 PM
Learning Roadie
Well, I'm using the EZDrummer within Toontrack Solo 64. I'm not currently recording anything. I'm not sure I understand the question, Ivan. Does any of that help? I was thinking of getting EZPlayer, but not yet. I don't currently have a way to use the drum samples.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 9 2011, 07:50 PM
Instructor
Sorry for not being clear my friend. Inside a recording software (aka DAW, examples would be Cubase, Logic, Nuendo, ProTools, Abletone Live etc.) EZDrummer behaves as a plugin. It plays what it hears on the MIDI track.

EZDrummer is compatible with GM map. What this means in simple terms is that C1 note is kick, C#1 is rimshot, D1 is snare, etc.

If you open MIDI track in DAW software, and if you set the input on that track to be your MIDI keyboard controlled, and if you set the output to EZDrummer - then it should work by default.

Then you can record what you play as well.

This is the only way I used EZDrummer or any other drum plug before, never used it in standalone version, so not sure what to do then.

hope it helps,
Ivan

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 9 2011, 08:48 PM
Learning Roadie
Hmm...Well, thanks for clarifying - I learned something. Yeah, I have no DAW except Audacity. I don't know if it works with MIDI though. It imports MIDI...

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 9 2011, 08:55 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ May 9 2011, 09:48 PM) *
Hmm...Well, thanks for clarifying - I learned something. Yeah, I have no DAW except Audacity. I don't know if it works with MIDI though. It imports MIDI...

Why don't you install Reaper, it's free without many limitations and I think it supports VSTs.

http://www.reaper.fm/

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: May 9 2011, 08:55 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
dark dude
May 9 2011, 09:03 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 9 2011, 08:55 PM) *
Why don't you install Reaper, it's free without many limitations and I think it supports VSTs.

It does support VSTs. My vote also goes to Reaper!

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Sean_1234
May 9 2011, 11:04 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 9 2011, 09:55 PM) *

+1 for REAPER! I use it all the time wink.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 10 2011, 02:27 AM
Learning Roadie
Right now I have Reaper installed. It keeps tempting me to buy it, but I ignore it. By the way, what am I doing wrong? I drug the sample I wanted into Reaper and hit play and nothing played. What setting needs to be on?

It's been almost a year since I installed Reaper. smile.gif

+Quote Post
dark dude
May 10 2011, 02:39 AM
QUOTE (thefireball @ May 10 2011, 02:27 AM) *
Right now I have Reaper installed. It keeps tempting me to buy it, but I ignore it. By the way, what am I doing wrong? I drug the sample I wanted into Reaper and hit play and nothing played. What setting needs to be on?

It's been almost a year since I installed Reaper. smile.gif

Turn record monitoring on, it's the speaker symbol to the left of the track.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 10 2011, 04:56 AM
Reaper RAWKS smile.gif The more I use it the more I like it. VST compatibility on the Mac is a rare thing and Reaper provides it. Cross platform, 64 bit and 32 bit version. It's as powerful as the most powerful DAW I've run across so far which is IMHO Logic 9 and it's free to use with a little nag screen of course. smile.gif It's the most compatible DAW I've ever found and it's got features that software costing thousands lacks. Killer product.

Great tip on turn on the monitoring track! ARM the track to record (red button) and Monitor to hear it.

Todd
QUOTE (dark dude @ May 9 2011, 08:39 PM) *
Turn record monitoring on, it's the speaker symbol to the left of the track.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 10 2011, 09:48 AM
Instructor
Here is one of the ways to make it work. Sorry if there is a mistake, I'm not using Reaper, just keeping it installed to help members:

- Open Reaper
- Right-click on the track pane (choose "Insert Virtual Instrument on new track...")
- Choose the EZDrummer on the list of VST instruments
- Click on a small speaker icon on that track in the bottom-left corner
- In the drop-box menu on the bottom of the track find your keyboard controller and choose it for MIDI input

That should work. Let us know if it does. Perhaps there could be a problem if Reaper doesn't recognize the keyboard. If this is the case, we'll try to eliminate all the possibilities for a problem.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 15 2011, 12:58 AM
Learning Roadie
I got it recognize my keyboard. There was quite a bit of latency. 185 ms. The thing is set at 8 x 1024 samples. I don't know what that is.
Well I tried other sound samples inside Reaper and they all worked. I even recorded something from my mic and it worked.

But when I drag a sample into Reaper - monitoring button is pressed - there's no sound. However, there is some activity in the EQ.

Weird... huh.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 15 2011, 11:29 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ May 15 2011, 01:58 AM) *
I got it recognize my keyboard. There was quite a bit of latency. 185 ms. The thing is set at 8 x 1024 samples. I don't know what that is.
Well I tried other sound samples inside Reaper and they all worked. I even recorded something from my mic and it worked.

But when I drag a sample into Reaper - monitoring button is pressed - there's no sound. However, there is some activity in the EQ.

Weird... huh.gif

If you see track being played in the EQ/Master Channel - try : when you have a track you want to listen to being played back try to de-press (disengage) the monitoring button to get the sound.
I think that could work, depends a lot on the DAW as I don't have a lot of experience in Reaper.
Also, make sure that you select the output of that particular midi track loaded with sample to be : EZ drummer VST.

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: May 15 2011, 11:30 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 16 2011, 06:13 PM
Instructor

What sound card do you use? You might experience latency issues with lower grade sound cards.

Weird... huh.gif

Usually there is no sound available during playback while monitoring is turned on. Try to turn off monitoring, and it should be heard.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 20 2011, 02:58 AM
Learning Roadie
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
I believe is the sound card.

I'm one step closer. I dragged a track into Reaper, randomly messed with some settings, and now I get a piano playing those notes.
Now I just need it to play them as drum notes.

Man, Reaper is a complex program.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 20 2011, 10:05 AM
Instructor
I use Nuendo, and it was pretty complex for me until I went through some cool video tutorials about it. Don't worry, in time, through practice, and through work you will get to know it. Check out this tutorial for setting up EZD in Reaper:

http://en.440tv.com/video.php/v/2047/EZdrummer-in-REAPER

Also, there are some cool topics that Tony wrote on the subject of Reaper, check them out:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...hp?showforum=74

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 20 2011, 06:28 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 20 2011, 04:05 AM) *
I use Nuendo, and it was pretty complex for me until I went through some cool video tutorials about it. Don't worry, in time, through practice, and through work you will get to know it. Check out this tutorial for setting up EZD in Reaper:

http://en.440tv.com/video.php/v/2047/EZdrummer-in-REAPER

Also, there are some cool topics that Tony wrote on the subject of Reaper, check them out:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...hp?showforum=74

Thanks Ivan. smile.gif I'll check it out. I have been checking out your theory lessons and I am learning from these. I decided it's time to start learning theory. My eyes are opening to things I never knew about music! Last night I watched your Chord Basics. smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:34 PM